Sheahan Traded to the Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sheahan Traded to the Penguins

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 am

I'm willing to give JR the benefit of the doubt, his trades as the Pens GM have gone well resulting in 2 Cups thus far...

Neal for Hornqvist, Spaling
Despres for Lovejoy
Bortuzzo for Cole
Kapanen, 1st, 3rd for Kessel, 2nd
Sutter, 3rd for Bonino, 2nd
Scuderi for Daley
Perron for Hagelin
3rd for Schultz
2nd for Hainsey
-----------------------------------
Sundqvist, 1st for Reaves, 2nd
Wilson, 3rd for Sheahan, 5th
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 am

no name wrote:Allowing us to shift McKegg and Sheahan for the time being to see who fits where. McKegg is making a case for him to remain as a 3rd liner. Hopefully that competition lifts Sheahan up a knotch to try and grab the 3rd line position.

Can Sheahan play PK?

Yes he can.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
no name wrote:Allowing us to shift McKegg and Sheahan for the time being to see who fits where. McKegg is making a case for him to remain as a 3rd liner. Hopefully that competition lifts Sheahan up a knotch to try and grab the 3rd line position.

Can Sheahan play PK?

Yes he can.

Think it's probably best to give McKegg and Sheahan the chance to settle who's 3C and 4C.

The more that I see of Sheahan, the more I think he'll need to go with Kessel. Seems to be at his best when shooting in stride and finishing loose pucks after someone else's shots. Should Sprong ever come up, that too would likely work.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 am

Steve Dave wrote:I'm willing to give JR the benefit of the doubt, his trades as the Pens GM have gone well resulting in 2 Cups thus far...

Neal for Hornqvist, Spaling
Despres for Lovejoy
Bortuzzo for Cole
Kapanen, 1st, 3rd for Kessel, 2nd
Sutter, 3rd for Bonino, 2nd
Scuderi for Daley
Perron for Hagelin
3rd for Schultz
2nd for Hainsey
-----------------------------------
Sundqvist, 1st for Reaves, 2nd
Wilson, 3rd for Sheahan, 5th

I can't say I like, am happy with, or understand this trade. But I've said this about other trades that I liked and others did not, and I'll say it now: GMJR has worked some magic in his tenure here. I'm going to trust that he thinks Sullivan and company can improve Sheahan's game.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 am

Sheahan in as 3C at practice, with McKegg down to 4C. Rowney is not practicing, likely due to shot taken to arm by Hedman over the weekend.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:53 am

FLPensFan wrote:Sheahan in as 3C at practice, with McKegg down to 4C.

As it should be. McKegg isn't a 3C.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Sheahan in as 3C at practice, with McKegg down to 4C. Rowney is not practicing, likely due to shot taken to arm by Hedman over the weekend.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Rowney was put on IR.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saupere on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 pm

I guess I don't have any big problem with the trade, they're getting a guy who's about the same age and 30 pounds bigger. Not sure if Wilson had a bad camp but saying he could barely crack the lineup might be a bit of a misnomer. He played 20 of 25 games come crunch time in the 2017 playoffs and got his name on the cup. Don't be surprised to see Sheahan paired with an old Notre Dame teammate Bryan Rust.
Last edited by saupere on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:33 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Sheahan in as 3C at practice, with McKegg down to 4C. Rowney is not practicing, likely due to shot taken to arm by Hedman over the weekend.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Rowney was put on IR.

Correct, so he's out for at least the next 6 days (placed on IR yesterday).
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saupere on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I didn't get to see tonight's game vs Edm. Did Sheahan play? What # is he wearing?
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Durbano on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Sheahan centered Hornqvist and Hagelin. Number 15, played a solid game. Just under 15 minutes, did well on face-offs, had an assist and was plus 1.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Durbano wrote:Sheahan centered Hornqvist and Hagelin. Number 15, played a solid game. Just under 15 minutes, did well on face-offs, had an assist and was plus 1.

I also think he played well, especially since it was his 1st game with the Pens. I also noticed that he seems to be a pretty good skater and plays solid "D". And on the Cole goal he provided an excellent screen and got a +1 for his effort there. Not bad for a 1st game with a new team. :thumb:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Over all I think he did good, seems like he dumped the puck a bit more than I expected, but seems like his line was expected to play that was to ease him into the system. Good at cycling in the corners when they established control down low. Big guy, didn't throw his weight around to much but again let him get a few games under his belt. It all comes down to re-building his confidence and making him into a Penguins 3rd line center.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:44 pm

no name wrote:Over all I think he did good, seems like he dumped the puck a bit more than I expected, but seems like his line was expected to play that was to ease him into the system. Good at cycling in the corners when they established control down low. Big guy, didn't throw his weight around to much but again let him get a few games under his belt. It all comes down to re-building his confidence and making him into a Penguins 3rd line center.

He doesn't look out of place. Sheahan could be a very good fit indeed if he can build on this. He contrasts with Rowney and McKegg, that's for sure...
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:12 am

Good instincts and skating. No shots in the game, which has always been the knock even in 2011 (creating his own offense). But he has time (certainly until the trade deadline) and a nice duo of wingers to develop a very good 2-way 3rd line.
I hope his face-off prowess continues. Looked good on the PK. Teammates and coach seemed impressed watching him on the ice.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Still glad we wasted cap space on a 3rd line center that produces nothing? He's OK defensively but offensively he is a black hole.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins

Postby BurghThing on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:47 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:Still glad we wasted cap space on a 3rd line center that produces nothing? He's OK defensively but offensively he is a black hole.

Offensively our whole team is a black hole.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm

I agree with that. No one appears to care right now.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins

Postby ville5 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:21 am

BurghThing wrote:
THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:Still glad we wasted cap space on a 3rd line center that produces nothing? He's OK defensively but offensively he is a black hole.

2 goals or less in 8 of the 16 played. This team needs a wing for Malkin. I'd like to see Malkin and Sprong together for about 20 games straight. And I'd like to see Bozak brought in for Kessel's line.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:51 am

ville5 wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

2 goals or less in 8 of the 16 played. This team needs a wing for Malkin. I'd like to see Malkin and Sprong together for about 20 games straight. And I'd like to see Bozak brought in for Kessel's line.

I'd like a solid gold toilet, but it's just not in the cards, now is it?
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:07 am

ville5 wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

It would be nice if Malkin could actually work with a winger.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:12 am

Jim wrote:
ville5 wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

It would be nice if Malkin could actually work with a winger.

Yeah I really thought Mooseknuckle would light it up on his wing. Meanwhile Sid goes from Jake and Conor, to Conor and Horny, to Jake and Kessel.

And STILL refuses to put the puck in the net.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 am

BurghThing wrote:

It's kind of like, Mike Johnston kidnapped Sullivan, and it now behind the bench in a Mike Sullivan costume. Seriously, it's getting that bad...... I don't care how much "better the team seems to be playing the last few games," they still can't score at even strength, averaging less than 1 ES goal over their last 5 games.

They may look prettier, but they still have an awful stench about them.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

It's kind of like, Mike Johnston kidnapped Sullivan, and it now behind the bench in a Mike Sullivan costume. Seriously, it's getting that bad...... I don't care how much "better the team seems to be playing the last few games," they still can't score at even strength, averaging less than 1 ES goal over their last 5 games.

They may look prettier, but they still have an awful stench about them.

Maybe its time for Rutherford to make a major trade? He stated he wanted to use the first 20 games to evaluate the team, well they are getting close to that milestone, and without a doubt they need to be better 5 on 5.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:11 am

All things considered, don't forget the Pens have only played 5 home games while playing 11 on the road, along with the unusually high amount of back to backs.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins