Stewie Griffin Postgame:Jets Down Pens 7-1

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame:Jets Down Pens 7-1

Postby netwolf on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:40 am

Credit to [redacated] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Jets, a 7-1 loss

Something good: As was the case last game, a Malkin PPG was the only thing between them and a goose egg. Huzzah.

Where they need improvement: They need to figure out this back to back thing. I know they suck, especially when you have to travel and your opponent is sitting there at home, rested and waiting, but 0-4 while getting outscored 29-7 is ridiculous. Take out the 5-4 loss to Tampa and the differential is an even more ludicrous 24-3. Enough is enough.

Something good: After a 5 goal first and a recent history of bad blood between these teams, I was worried this game would turn into an absolute gong show. Thankfully, that didn't happen, so at least there's that (although Laine and Byfuglien deserved something for the hatchet jobs they were doing on the backs of Penguin legs)...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame:Jets Down Pens 7-1

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 am

Early observation seems to be Sid and the Kids is dead......kind of similar to how HBK had success for a 3-4 month run, but didn't work the next season. I know they were broken up last night to start, but that line really hasn't done much. Of course, the team as a whole has not done much at Even Strength so far this season.

Second observation is the overall lack of scoring without the Power Play. Malkin, Kessel, Crosby, Letang, Hornqvist, and Guentzel currently have 42% to 53% of their points on the Power Play. Kessel, Hornqvist, and Letang tend to get a higher percentage of their points on the PP, in the 35-45% range. Malkin and Crosby tend to be in the 28-32% range. Malkin and Crosby just aren't producing much at even strength, and I believe that is trickling down to the wingers.

Rutherford was said to be very unhappy about the Minnesota game, and he was shown at the game last night as well. Can't imagine he was much happier. Not time for a knee-jerk panic move, but if November doesn't show a vast improvement, most notably in the even strength and back-to-back situations, I see Rutherford making a mid-December to mid-January move this year to try and jump start the team.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame:Jets Down Pens 7-1

Postby Penspal on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am

I could only focus on the good Netwolf/Stewie... the bad takes me to a very bad place
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins