Game 13 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 13 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 am

Pens lose 7-1

- First off, what was HCMS thinking by starting Murray? He got hurt late in the last game, another back to back. Okay, so maybe that's why.. but it backfired.
- Remove the first period, not a bad game by the Pens... not good enough mind you, but not bad. But that first period... suxxur bigtime.
- BEPF, this is just going to add to the crazy extrapolation discussion.
- These back to back UGLY losses are two pronged. Giving up WAAAAAY too many goals, and not getting any. They have focused on tightening D... maybe Sprong :pop:
- Need we look any further than Letang's SIX giveaways.... probably not. Fix Letang by giving him less minutes, make him play simple.
- I cannot even believe that I'm saying I miss Hunwick at this point?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Re: Game 13 vs Jets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Humperdink on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 am

Turned it off when goal #5 went into the net, in the FIRST period. Letang giveaways are mind boggling. Other than the behind-the-back giveaway, which was stupid, most are right in front of him. Clearly visible.

Edit to add: When I turned it off at 5-0, my prognostication was a 7-2 score. Close, but no cigar.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 am

Kris Letang's "back" surgery was just a cover up for his elective lobotomy. He was just just relearning how to look angry all of these months.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:54 am

I am just going to say from a non-coaching perspective what I think is going on.

Sid and Geno are getting older and without other lines helping out the big two are wearing out on these back-to-backs. It is only going to get worse as the season goes on if Rutherford can not get a more competitive lineup going. Kessel needs to play on the third line. That would go a long way to helping with matchups and ice time. If salary cap is a concern, I think it may be time to look at a Letang trade. The fact that we have seen what they can do without him is a luxury. I am not a believer in spending big money on defense. Load up on the offense and roll 4 good lines and go with it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:09 am

wondermoose wrote:Kris Letang's "back" surgery was just a cover up for his elective lobotomy. He was just just relearning how to look angry all of these months.

He's -14...wow
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:13 am

KG wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Kris Letang's "back" surgery was just a cover up for his elective lobotomy. He was just just relearning how to look angry all of these months.

He's -14...wow

That doesn't include how many PP opportunities he's killed either. Hurry back Schultzie...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am

- Letang may be -14 but he has a lot of company in the +/- stat.
- DeSmith did his own imitation of MAF...giving up the first shot he faced in the game (and his career).
- If Letang's "limited no-trade" part of his contract does not include Colorado, the let's pull the trigger and lets try to get Duchene from them for him. If they even want him.
- Penspal, I don't believe I will be redoing the extrapolation thingy after each game. It is kinda a chore. But the numbers certainly are still way wacky at this point in the season. :face:
- I gave up the ghost last night when it reached 6-1. I'm sure I wasn't the last to hit the off button on the TV, but the numbers still watching may have been under the three digit mark. :cry:
- Three more games left on this road trip, with one more back-to-back left. Brutal trip with 2 sets of back-to-backs. :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm

This is sort of related, so please indulge me.

WTF is the league doing scheduling so many back-to-back games? Is that some sort of penalty to the Penguins for winning back-to-back Cups or just the usual "garage league" incompetence? :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby suzinpgh on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:54 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:This is sort of related, so please indulge me.

WTF is the league doing scheduling so many back-to-back games? Is that some sort of penalty to the Penguins for winning back-to-back Cups or just the usual "garage league" incompetence? :face:

Valid question. No other professional sports league puts their players through the scheduling and travel hoops as does the NHL. Back to backs, playing in multiple time zones in short stretches, meeting the same team within a week of their previous contest.

Phil Bourque is being interviewed on Madden's show and just stated that the players have today off, per the CBA.

Also stated that GMJR was very upset in the press box last night, and that he wouldn't be surprised if a trade happened soon.
Last edited by suzinpgh on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby djlm on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:54 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:This is sort of related, so please indulge me.

With 19 back to back games, that's almost half the season played under these circumstances (38 games from 82). The league average is 13.9 and Winnipeg has the least, with just 8 back to back games.
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Guess they saw enough of DeSmith yesterday!

Jarry just got recalled.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:36 pm

They gave Niemi more chances then they did DeSmith. That wasn't an easy game to be thrust in to. The stress level had to be high.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm

For those who watched the entire game - this one's for you:

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sluggermatt15 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:46 pm

-Goaltending is definitely a concern. Backup goaltending is even a greater concern. The Pens can't lean on Murray in back-to-backs or he will be fatigued come March, right during the stretch run and playoffs.
-Why is the offense so streaky? When the season started, Pittsburgh didn't have difficulty scoring. Now we've played FOUR consecutive games only scoring one goal. Wow.
sluggermatt15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins