Regional Sports Networks & Hockey

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Regional Sports Networks & Hockey

Postby saupere on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

Watching out-of-state on my NITRO-TV (IPTV) I'm able to pull in the Regional Sports Networks for 24 of the league's 31 NHL teams. They also offer NHL Center Ice as a throw-in but it's never 100% reliable. The only teams I'm missing are the Pens (AT&T Sportsnet), the Avalanche (ROOT Sports), the Golden Knights (ROOT Sports I think), and the 4 NY/NJ based teams (MSG Network). Wish I could get these remaining 7 networks. Anyone know where these cities' RSN's might be found on KODI or ROKU or elsewhere?
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Regional Sports Networks & Hockey

Postby Defence21 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:07 am

What is Nitro-TV?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saupere on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:48 pm

IPTV is an acronym for Internet Provided TV (I think) and NITRO TV is one of many paid services where you can pull in 1000+ channels over the internet on your TV eliminating the need for expensive cable TV. Obviously you need high speed internet to do it. People who use the Amazon FireTVStick or the ROKU stick can easily gain access to NITRO TV. It costs about $20/month. Before you jump in with both feet it's best just to get a 1 month trial run to decide if you like it. Some folks simply don't have the internet speed to accommodate it. Other folks have so many internet dependent devices in their household like iPhones, smart phones etc. that they interfere with the picture causing it to pause, pixelate or worse because of lack of bandwidth. We were paying almost $250/month with Comcast for phone, TV and internet. We cut that to about $85/month for Internet Only plus $20/month for the NITRO TV. We rely on 2 cell phones and eliminated our Cable TV altogether. Again you are occasionally subject to interruptions from your Internet modem or router acting up.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm

saupere wrote:IPTV is an acronym for Internet Provided TV (I think) and NITRO TV is one of many paid services where you can pull in 1000+ channels over the internet on your TV eliminating the need for expensive cable TV. Obviously you need high speed internet to do it. People who use the Amazon FireTVStick or the ROKU stick can easily gain access to NITRO TV. It costs about $20/month. Before you jump in with both feet it's best just to get a 1 month trial run to decide if you like it. Some folks simply don't have the internet speed to accommodate it. Other folks have so many internet dependent devices in their household like iPhones, smart phones etc. that they interfere with the picture causing it to pause, pixelate or worse because of lack of bandwidth. We were paying almost $250/month with Comcast for phone, TV and internet. We cut that to about $85/month for Internet Only plus $20/month for the NITRO TV. We rely on 2 cell phones and eliminated our Cable TV altogether. Again you are occasionally subject to interruptions from your Internet modem or router acting up.

Wow...interesting. I can't believe I've never heard of this. Thanks for the info!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:54 am

None of the ATT sports networks have a digital presence yet. Fox and Comcast/NBC Sports have apps that allow subscriber logon which is where those feeds come from.

Until theirs a portal set up by ATT they won’t be up anywhere.

Same goes for MSG.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saupere on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am

That's pretty much it. Unless a Pens game is nationally broadcast on NHL Network or NBCSN if they are playing any of those 6 teams I am pretty much at the mercy of Center Ice and whether they include that game that night. Against any of the other 24 teams I can usually depend on picking them up on the opponent's Regional Sports Network. Bottom line is I haven't yet missed a Pens game this year except by choice (like tonight's World Series game). Just wanna mention that in years past when I looked at games on Center Ice the vast majority of the games were telecast in Regular Definition with only one or two games a night in High-def. Most games I see on Center Ice via NITRO-TV appear to be 720 definition which isn't bad. One good thing about picking up Center Ice via IPTV is that there is no regional blackout based upon location. For instance if the Pens were playing the Carolina Hurricanes and I'm in SC the game is blacked out on Center Ice via cable TV. Similarly if you are in Pgh and access Center Ice you will not see the Pens. That's another way the cable companies sink their teeth into you. What really honked me off was that in years past when I was on Hargray Cable in SC and the Pens were playing on NHL Network the game was blacked out when I tried to access the online version of NHL Game Center Live even though I was paying $131/year to sucscribe to them and even though Hargray did not even offer the NHL Network. They still don't. It's why I've gone to IPTV. Tired of the ****.
Last edited by saupere on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby saupere on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:34 am

Most of the regional sports networks are FOX. There about a half dozen teams who use CSN Sports (Comcast Sports Network which is owned by NBC). The Bruins kinda stand alone with NESN. The Canadian NHL teams are on either TSN or Sports Net (SN). Those are the ones I can get on Nitro TV.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 am

You basically are streaming all the TV though, right? My ISP now caps data and streaming a few hours of HD a day would shoot me past the cap easily.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saupere on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Yes, I am streaming all of the data with either Comcast or Hargray as an Internet Provider depending on my location. Who is your ISP and what do they cost?
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins