Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 am

DelPen wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Thanks Matt. Calgary waiting for the back to back after not playing for about five days.

Jarry with a shutout tomorrow.


I would bet everything I own against this. Just sayin.......
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:48 am

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby booboo on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:31 am

Pitts wrote:
pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:
BurghThing wrote:Yes friends, that is your Penguins goal leader, Conner Sheary, but lets trade him :roll:


Id trade 58 but who wants a -15 guy

Yeah. No team in the league wants a number one defenseman. :roll:


A -1 per game defenseman.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,216
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby Owchar76 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:33 am

booboo wrote:
Pitts wrote:
pensfaninhudsonvalley wrote:
BurghThing wrote:Yes friends, that is your Penguins goal leader, Conner Sheary, but lets trade him :roll:


Id trade 58 but who wants a -15 guy

Yeah. No team in the league wants a number one defenseman. :roll:


A -1 per game defenseman.


And a prime example of why plus minus is such a bad stat and why people should stop using it. Erik Karlsson, who is the greatest defenseman in Senators' history set a Sens' record for worse plus in a game at -6 the other night.

Last season the Sens were +80 in 5 on 5 shot attempts with Karlsson on the ice and -426 with him off. Over the last 5 years, the Sens are +991 with him on the ice and -280 without him. (5 v 5). But yet so many people look at plus minus and say, "oh, he's not very good defensively". :face:

If you think another GM is going to pass on Letang because he's a -15 this year, or because he averages -1 per game.....well pour me one of what you're having.
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby booboo on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 am

okay so you do not like looking at the numbers, perhaps you prefer looking at what he's doing on the ice

it is sad to watch and I hope he will find the way out of the swamp

as for the GMs, including GMJR, they will need to answer a simple question whether #58 is done yet or not
and if the answer is not fully positive, whether they are up to taking a risk of the magnitude of his salary
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,216
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Last season the Sens were +80 in 5 on 5 shot attempts with Karlsson on the ice and -426 with him off. Over the last 5 years, the Sens are +991 with him on the ice and -280 without him. (5 v 5). But yet so many people look at plus minus and say, "oh, he's not very good defensively". :face:


This is a great stat. What were those numbers for Letang? And please just 5on5. Tanger pads his stats on the PP.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,139
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 am

Penguins aren't trading Letang this year, so may as well just hope he works out of his funk.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,557
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Last season the Sens were +80 in 5 on 5 shot attempts with Karlsson on the ice and -426 with him off. Over the last 5 years, the Sens are +991 with him on the ice and -280 without him. (5 v 5). But yet so many people look at plus minus and say, "oh, he's not very good defensively". :face:


This is a great stat. What were those numbers for Letang? And please just 5on5. Tanger pads his stats on the PP.


Stats like this are always 5 on 5. I'll research it later.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,078
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 am

booboo wrote:okay so you do not like looking at the numbers, perhaps you prefer looking at what he's doing on the ice

it is sad to watch and I hope he will find the way out of the swamp

as for the GMs, including GMJR, they will need to answer a simple question whether #58 is done yet or not
and if the answer is not fully positive, whether they are up to taking a risk of the magnitude of his salary


I value the numbers that actually are indicators of play as well as the eye test. Letang hasn't been himself, I see that. However I won't use plus minus for much.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,078
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Official GDT Pens @ Oilers 11/1/17

Postby Humperdink on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Plus/minus may not be a good indicator for Letang as his TOI is off the charts. It could be correlation as opposed to causation. I suspect it's some of each. It's his mind-numbing giveaways that drive me crazy. It appears he does not see any opposing players when he attempts to make a pass.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Humperdink, Puck-Lurker and 16 guests


e-mail