Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Outdo Oilers 3-2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Outdo Oilers 3-2

Postby netwolf on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 am

Credit to [redacated] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Oilers, a 3-2 win

Something good: Matt Murray had to be great and he was. 35 saves on 37 shots. 12 of 14 from the high danger area, including a couple during the final moments while Edmonton had the extra attacker out. This was the Matt Murray we're used to seeing.

Where they need improvement: There are a few things to pick from here at it wasn't a perfect game by any means, but I'll go with discipline. Giving a Connor McDavid and company 5 looks at the power play is less than ideal and the Oilers racked up 11 of their 37 shots while up a man.

Something good: The power play. Seems like a familiar story so far this season: Pens ride good-to-great goaltending from Murray and a productive power play to a victory. Patric Hornqvist and Evgeni Malkin (speaking of familiar things) scored, the unit was 2/4, and the Pens start November the right way.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Outdo Oilers 3-2

Postby Humperdink on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Agree on Murray. The guy never gets rattled.

Poor Jake. The odds of getting two separate minors during one shift is almost non-existent in the NHL. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

Winning two games against the Oil in this fashion had to be a huge downer for the McDavid crew. That's why we're the champs.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 pm

Humperdink wrote:Agree on Murray. The guy never gets rattled.

Poor Jake. The odds of getting two separate minors during one shift is almost non-existent in the NHL. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

Winning two games against the Oil in this fashion had to be a huge downer for the McDavid crew. That's why we're the champs.

Perron got two 2 minute tripping penalties the other night against the Rangers. Not a double minor, (which afaik isn’t possible for a trip?) but two separate tripping calls at the same time. I’ll try to find the footage to better understand the calls.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Great58 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Agree on Murray. The guy never gets rattled.

Perron got two 2 minute tripping penalties the other night against the Rangers. Not a double minor, (which afaik isn’t possible for a trip?) but two separate tripping calls at the same time. I’ll try to find the footage to better understand the calls.

You don't need footage to understand NHL "officials" calls, you need a lobotomy.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins