Stewie Griffin Postgame: Flames Burn Pens 2-1 OT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Flames Burn Pens 2-1 OT

Postby netwolf on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Flames, a 2-1 OT loss

Something good: It was the dreaded back half of a back to back (and again, involving travel to play a team that was just waiting at home, nice and rested). The bar was set very low for this game. Not only did they not epically fail all over the ice, they looked GOOD. It was one of their best performances of the season. If it wasn't for Mike Smith forgetting he was Mike Smith, they'd have run Calgary out of their own building in the first period

Where they need improvement: This might be a little unfair because Smith was good, but I can't stand that guy (the only goalie I enjoy seeing beat more is Lundqvist) and don't like giving him credit, so I would've liked to have seen the Pens finish a little better. They had a ton of great chances, and if 1 gets in, things probably go a little differently. That near miss Rust had really sticks out. There's no way Rust could have expected that puck to get through Smith and come out the other side, but man, if his stick was down and he had seen it, it would've taken a splinter to get that one across.

Something good: Tristan Jarry was really good. A bad bounce was the only thing that got by him in regulation and while I think he might want the OT goal back, it was a well-placed shot off of an odd-man rush caused by Crosby and Rust both zigging when they should have zagged in the neutral zone. Good game from the kid.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Flames Burn Pens 2-1 OT

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 am

Corrado looked good. Only noticed him when he made a good play, hope he gets more NHL time to maybe develop to help replace Cole who’s going to get Orpik money next summer.

When Reaves FINALLY does the job he was brought in to do by making clean hard hits against guys being clowns against our guys he gets a bogus penalty. NHL officiating is the worst.

The team played a bit better for a change on a back to back but Jarry played well enough to get a win. He was aggressive and on the top of his crease, when a talented goalie plays like that he’s hard to beat. Hope he gets some more games and he continues to play like this.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Flames Burn Pens 2-1 OT

Postby Humperdink on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:00 pm

NHL officiating holds the distinction of being the worst of all major sports. It will never change. Every penalty is subjective, up the the whim of whoever is on the ice playing ref. Penalties are determined by period, by score, by player, by ref, which team had the last few penalties, playoff vs. regular season .... what other sport operates that way? The call on Reaves was a joke.

I know, I know, some view the NHL of not being a major sport, but since I watch it, it's major to me.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins