Is Letang Done?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is Letang Done?

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:21 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Those that think hes 'done' or think we should trade him... he's firmly in the top 10 defensemen in the league. Don't give up just yet.

Keep seeing people saying this which reminds me of the lyrics from CATS.

"Memories, of the way we were".

He wasn't even needed on our OWN team last year and we won a SC. Now, watching him dragging down Maatta has me at my breaking point. Why is everyone being tried as his crutch? The rest of the super stars have grown under MS, so there is nothing about his environment that can be blamed.

I would like to see the numbers of players with Letang and without him, just to see the difference. It wasn't long ago that many felt he should have been on Team Canada. I'm still willing to be patient with him, let's see if Gonchar can set him straight. Maybe once Schultz comes back he'll settle down, get his minutes reduced and figure out his game again.
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
no name wrote:I would of resigned Daley and Bonino and traded Tanger for prospects and picks.

Never was a Letang fan. But I can't believe he is playing THIS bad.

1. You would rather have Bonino at his cost? He has one goal this season and is under 50% in faceoffs, and makes 4.1 million for the next 4 years. He'll never provide the value of that pricetag, especially with that length and possible drop off due to age near the end.
2. Daley? He's 34, wanted term and makes over 3 million...for the next 3 years. I'm not into signing aging defensemen to contracts that take them until they're 37. He has one assist this season in 16 games and is less than 50% in possession. Not good. Ruhwedel is providing the same production, better possession numbers and is cheaper.
3. Tanger for prospects and picks? Really? Not even an NHL player back in return? You're just packing the next couple years in? There's still a window to win with this team and you don't want any proven players back in return?
4. Also, it's would have or would've, not would of.

1. No
2. No
3. On the table. Also depends on what you do with the $7.25M cap space.
4. This is Pittsburgh, no one cares.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
no name wrote:I would of resigned Daley and Bonino and traded Tanger for prospects and picks.

Never was a Letang fan. But I can't believe he is playing THIS bad.

1. You would rather have Bonino at his cost? He has one goal this season and is under 50% in faceoffs, and makes 4.1 million for the next 4 years. He'll never provide the value of that pricetag, especially with that length and possible drop off due to age near the end.
2. Daley? He's 34, wanted term and makes over 3 million...for the next 3 years. I'm not into signing aging defensemen to contracts that take them until they're 37. He has one assist this season in 16 games and is less than 50% in possession. Not good. Ruhwedel is providing the same production, better possession numbers and is cheaper.
3. Tanger for prospects and picks? Really? Not even an NHL player back in return? You're just packing the next couple years in? There's still a window to win with this team and you don't want any proven players back in return?
4. Also, it's would have or would've, not would of.

1,2 You're (or is it your?) probably correct here.
3. I would do that.
4. With all of the camaraderie on this forum, there is a definite need for a grammar policeman. Thanks for helping out! I know I appreciate it.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Pitts wrote::roll:
All these message board experts apparently know more than all the NHL GM's and coaches.
No, he is not done. And no, will not be traded anytime soon. Maybe in another year or two once the window is truly closed for this core group.

Didn't know there was that much difference between "anytme soon and a year" ? So this core group only has 1 or 2 more years, who knows more than the Gm's and coaches now? If that is the case we might as well deal
Crosby,Malkin and Kessel next year!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

sjnhiils wrote:
Pitts wrote::roll:
All these message board experts apparently know more than all the NHL GM's and coaches.
No, he is not done. And no, will not be traded anytime soon. Maybe in another year or two once the window is truly closed for this core group.

Didn't know there was that much difference between "anytme soon and a year" ? So this core group only has 1 or 2 more years, who knows more than the Gm's and coaches now? If that is the case we might as well deal
Crosby,Malkin and Kessel next year!

Yeah, that's what I said. I guess the word "maybe" has a different definition in your mind?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby johnnews on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:10 am

I deserve a 3 game suspension for just reading this thread
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:21 am

johnnews wrote:I deserve a 3 game suspension for just reading this thread

Yea, but, NHL refs didn't see it so ... you are free to do it, again, and again and .... again.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saupere on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Didn't see it but I heard our ill-tempered D-man lost it again last night.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm

saupere wrote:Didn't see it but I heard our ill-tempered D-man lost it again last night.

Meh.....maybe a little. Oshie goaded him into a bit of pugilistics and then flopped at just the right moment.

But that was the very least of what went wrong last night.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saupere on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:07 pm

I could have thought of a better man to bat 3rd in the shootout against Nashville tonight. Norris Trophy ?? Seriously?? He's not even the best D-man on the team.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:33 am

saupere wrote:I could have thought of a better man to bat 3rd in the shootout against Nashville tonight. Norris Trophy ?? Seriously?? He's not even the best D-man on the team.

I figured it'd be Kessel. But what do I know?
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 am

Early on in shootout-land, Letang was one of our go-to guys. And the backhand was his choice. Don't have the stats at hand, but I don't recall much success from him lately. Seems fitting.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saupere on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 am

I remember early on when the shoot out was a new thing, the Pens had a center named Eric Christensen (sp?) who we traded with Colby Armstrong to get Hossa and Dupuis. He had some shootout numbers that were well over 50%. Not sure how he finished. They say that once you get so many shootout attempts it's hard to maintain a success rate near 50%. Jonathan Toews is supposed to be one of the best.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
saupere wrote:I could have thought of a better man to bat 3rd in the shootout against Nashville tonight. Norris Trophy ?? Seriously?? He's not even the best D-man on the team.

I figured it'd be Kessel. But what do I know?

Or Guentzel but I hear ya. I don't know the reasoning either.

saupere wrote:I remember early on when the shoot out was a new thing, the Pens had a center named Eric Christensen (sp?) who we traded with Colby Armstrong to get Hossa and Dupuis. He had some shootout numbers that were well over 50%. Not sure how he finished. They say that once you get so many shootout attempts it's hard to maintain a success rate near 50%. Jonathan Toews is supposed to be one of the best.

Chirstensen was good on the shootouts but that's about the only time he was worth any thing. He bounced around the NHL and then went to Europe or at least I think he did.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:30 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
saupere wrote:Didn't see it but I heard our ill-tempered D-man lost it again last night.

Meh.....maybe a little. Oshie goaded him into a bit of pugilistics and then flopped at just the right moment.

He was yapping again last night in Nashville and doing way too much stick work on the Preds. I don't know how Sully (maybe Tocchet?) settled him down last time but someone needs to rein him in. I don't think his play will improve until he gets his temper under control.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Hot Dog Vendor wrote:

He was yapping again last night in Nashville and doing way too much stick work on the Preds. I don't know how Sully (maybe Tocchet?) settled him down last time but someone needs to rein him in. I don't think his play will improve until he gets his temper under control.

This statement makes me wonder something; does Letang's **** attitude on the ice detract from his playing?

Or, do his periods of poor play lead to his **** attitude on the ice?

One cannot deny that, over the years, his periods of **** attitude on the ice & his periods of sub-par hockey have been inexorably linked. I begin to question whether the chicken or the egg comes first.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Maybe time to put Letang on the wing like Therrien did with Orpik? As a wake-up call? But I think he will get some cotton candy instead, hopefully he can turn it around or else it will be a long misery to see out his contract!

Gosh, I am negative now. I might as well shut up.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins