Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Is Letang Done?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is Letang Done?

Postby saupere on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:21 am

With 5 years left on an 8 year $58 million contract is Kris Letang washed up? After a stroke in 2013-14 and neck surgery last season and among the league worst -16 in 16 games this season, you gotta wonder.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Is Letang Done?

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 am

I would like to think it's taking longer than expected to recover from the neck surgery if for no other reason than he didn't get the offseason conditioning he normally does.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:33 am

Just watched the game against the Nucks. Good grief.

Just making the wrong choices at critical moments. Pursuing a player breaking away (Dumoulin already on that job) at 2-2, getting in close. Why? Stay back, watch for the flipping pass, get a stick in a lane!

Nope. That's Letang right now.

When he got banged up - like most the team did (refereeing is past tense) - he was actually playing better...

Put him on IR as soon as we get Hunwick or Schultz back...

"Done" has a finality to it, but he's playing terrible right now. With this hockey, he'd have been a scratch in last year's playoff run. Doesn't have to be good in october/november, but let's hope we can see some signs of improvement come december?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 am

Kris Letang is not done. Not by a long shot. He is without a doubt struggling more than ever before. I believe he should not be playing top line minutes at this time. Let him get to his game by playing less minutes and matching him up at home with third and fourth lines players when possible. We as fans need to support our players through their struggles. If his play doesn't change by February then the problem becomes magnified. Once Schultz comes back he should eventually be elevated to top line minutes with Dumo.
NJ Penguins Fan

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 am

He seems to be reacting to every play instead of seeing the play before it happens. Often a split second or two late.

Looked decent against Calgary. Not $7 million decent, but decent.

Almost like his recovery is allowing him to play, but not nearly at the level he played prior to the injury. Wonder if the herniated disc recovery is long term and takes months or years. The symptoms don't sound great.

He took a bad fall into the boards last night. That can't help.
Southern Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

This is not new. This is the SAME LETANG we saw for 41 games last season.
Why is everyone forgetting that??
This season, the excuse for his dumb**** play is the neck surgery. Last two seasons, the excuse for his dumb**** play was the stroke. Before that, it was concussions.....or his knee......or his foot.......or his elbow.......
Maybe......just maybe.......we stop with the excuses and the rest of us start to realize that Letang just isn't a good defenseman?
Everybody thinks he's great because he skates beautifully & plays 1000 minutes a night.......but he just is what he is what he's always been.

Lest we forget: It was not all that long ago, in the grand scheme of things, that lots of people wanted Letang moved to winger because he was such a **** defenseman.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Great athlete with no hockey sense. He has stretches where he plays great, and others not so much. He was incredible in the 2016 playoffs vs Washington before he got suspended.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:40 pm

I was against long term big contract for him and it proves season in and out,it was a mistake..
Now you cant even trade him for anything good..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Letang and prospect/pick for Pacioretty. Letang goes to his hometown and Malkin gets his left winger.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I was against long term big contract for him and it proves season in and out,it was a mistake..

He was pretty huge in the 2016 Cup Finals.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:I would like to think it's taking longer than expected to recover from the neck surgery if for no other reason than he didn't get the offseason conditioning he normally does.

It does not look like he is not physically fit to play. The issue seems to be in his head: thinking does not work as it should.
I would not feel bad if he was slow to recover his physicality from the injuries and playing time missed, but what we see is much more worrisome than that.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I was against long term big contract for him and it proves season in and out,it was a mistake..

That's ancient history SteveDave. Who cares about what he does in a Stanley Cup finals, games in Oct and early Nov, that's where it's at. 8-)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Steve wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

That's ancient history SteveDave. Who cares about what he does in a Stanley Cup finals, games in Oct and early Nov, that's where it's at. 8-)

And in the 2014 playoffs he was one of the worst defenders on the roster. So bad that by Game 3 of the first round, "Letang to winger" was screamed from the top of Mt. Washington. That is, when he could stay on the ice without random body parts falling off.

And in the 2015 playoffs he was...........missing. Injured for the whole playoffs with a concussion.

And in the 2017 playoffs he was...........missing. Injured for the whole playoffs with neck surgery.

Keep trying to prove your point, though. You're doing terrific.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Steve wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

And in the 2014 playoffs he was one of the worst defenders on the roster. So bad that by Game 3 of the first round, "Letang to winger" was screamed from the top of Mt. Washington. That is, when he could stay on the ice without random body parts falling off.

And in the 2015 playoffs he was...........missing. Injured for the whole playoffs with a concussion.

And in the 2017 playoffs he was...........missing. Injured for the whole playoffs with neck surgery.

Keep trying to prove your point, though. You're doing terrific.

I don't have an agenda with Letang, and I'm not the one whining about him in every post like you are.

He had a terrific finals in 2016. Fact. Results in a Stanley Cup finals are more important than very poor play in October and early November. Fact

Points proved? Of course. terrific? ah shucks thanks, but that's just routine common sense.

I'm concerned with Letang's injury history, especially his concussions and now the recent surgery on his spine. I'm still rooting for him though - it's a game afterall. In his career, the games have definitely been more entertaining when he is in the lineup, (for better or worse) and the Pens have generally been a better team when he is in the lineup. I believe he will turn it around this season as will the rest of the team. Stay tuned.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Steve wrote: I believe he will turn it around this season as will the rest of the team. Stay tuned.

I hope you're right.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 am

I use to think Letang was the straw that stirred the drink. Not any longer. Now (assuming he remains regarded as a top pair dman) may be the time to move him.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:23 am

No, he is struggling like any other player struggles from time to time and he is coming off a major surgery. It doesn't help that the team wants him to play more "carefully" and I think changing his style is affecting him. Thats why he is one second late right now. Isn't going with his instincts like before. He will get there, too much talent not too.

Anyone remember when Sid struggled not so long ago?
Or when Jagr was dying alive? It happens to the best of them.
They both turned out fine, so will Letang :)
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:03 am

I would of resigned Daley and Bonino and traded Tanger for prospects and picks.

Never was a Letang fan. But I can't believe he is playing THIS bad.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Steve wrote: I believe he will turn it around this season as will the rest of the team. Stay tuned.

I hope you're right.

This is not the first time Kris has put together 10-15 bad games. I still see the ridiculous skill that he has, and he's surrounded by great players. I certainly do not think he's "Done" by any means.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:19 am

I'm firmly in the group of folks who think Tanger is both a Norris Trophy guy most of the time, and the Pens achilles heel sometimes.

His speed it back, for sure. He walks the blue line like he always did. He makes the same bonehead plays he always did, more egregious than before.

They are mental mistakes. He missed so much time that it makes sense that he would need time to get back in, but he may be in need of a wakeup call. 3rd pair minutes or something, to get his head right.

Those that think hes 'done' or think we should trade him... he's firmly in the top 10 defensemen in the league. Don't give up just yet.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Daniel on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Pitt87 wrote:I'm firmly in the group of folks who think Tanger is both a Norris Trophy guy most of the time, and the Pens achilles heel sometimes.

I think he has Norris Trophy skills and fringe NHL player hockey IQ.

I think this describes Letang. From Bull Durham, "He's got a million dollar arm, and a five cent head."
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:36 pm

:roll:
All these message board experts apparently know more than all the NHL GM's and coaches.
No, he is not done. And no, will not be traded anytime soon. Maybe in another year or two once the window is truly closed for this core group.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 am

To me if there was a West team needing a shake-up, llike maybe the Oil, I'd at least consider moving him for say, Nugent-Hopkins + Matt Benning.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 am

Pitt87 wrote:Those that think hes 'done' or think we should trade him... he's firmly in the top 10 defensemen in the league. Don't give up just yet.

Keep seeing people saying this which reminds me of the lyrics from CATS.

"Memories, of the way we were".

He wasn't even needed on our OWN team last year and we won a SC. Now, watching him dragging down Maatta has me at my breaking point. Why is everyone being tried as his crutch? The rest of the super stars have grown under MS, so there is nothing about his environment that can be blamed.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 am

no name wrote:I would of resigned Daley and Bonino and traded Tanger for prospects and picks.

Never was a Letang fan. But I can't believe he is playing THIS bad.

1. You would rather have Bonino at his cost? He has one goal this season and is under 50% in faceoffs, and makes 4.1 million for the next 4 years. He'll never provide the value of that pricetag, especially with that length and possible drop off due to age near the end.
2. Daley? He's 34, wanted term and makes over 3 million...for the next 3 years. I'm not into signing aging defensemen to contracts that take them until they're 37. He has one assist this season in 16 games and is less than 50% in possession. Not good. Ruhwedel is providing the same production, better possession numbers and is cheaper.
3. Tanger for prospects and picks? Really? Not even an NHL player back in return? You're just packing the next couple years in? There's still a window to win with this team and you don't want any proven players back in return?
4. Also, it's would have or would've, not would of.
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins