Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Game 17 vs Yotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 17 vs Yotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:32 am

Pens win 3-1 (#hashtag edition)

- Pens great start was all that was needed in this game, Yotes are not very good and this was a b2b game for them. Yotes Coach Tocchert looked #miserable :twisted:
- I take the blame for Murray's loss of a shutout. I started thinking about it, even mumbled it.... then goal #NEVERmetionshutout :face:
- Guentzel is snakbit. Jake had a glorious open net and seemed to wait until he dusted off both sides of the puck allowing for a great save. Get Jake going, lookout!
- Horny is a such a warrior. He got badly stung on a shot, stayed out there, Pens iced it, but he still stayed out (could have come off, injured players alllowed to)... #vikingtough
- Nice to see Kessel shooting more, he's got such a lethal shot but has passed so much of late I think goalies are expecting the pass
- Favorite image of the night was seeing Schultz & Cole smiling at the replay showing off the missing teeth.... so rare to see something like that, just funny #lovehockey
- On the Reider goal, Maatta pinched in & Sheary never picked up Reider.... again, I take the blame... bad juju mentioning/mumbling "shutout".... #respectjuju :face:
- Pens - 1st in Metro, 2nd in Eastern Conf. Sure, they've played more games, but they have been tough games. Not bad all things considered (Niemi, injuries, b2b's, SC hangover)
- #FudgeCancer
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Re: Game 17 vs Yotes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby wondermoose on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 am

-Crosby got rag dolled in possession again. Weird stuff so far. It's not exactly the beginning of the season anymore so it's about time for him to get rollin'.
-That said, it seems like Sheary and Guenztel are both getting stoned on all of the chances they were scoring on last night. I've been saying this after every game, but there at least one instance every night that Sid has set Sheary up in the slot from below the goal line only to have Sheary get robbed. The production is going to start rolling in eventually.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/928115050929426433

Pittsburgh Penguins‏Verified account @penguins 11h11 hours ago
More
This is how @malkin71_ cools down after a game.
Malkin: “Let’s go dance @BizNasty2point0.”

A couple of 5 on 5 goals- good win.

Hopefully Sid breaks through in DC on Friday!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am

- Open season on Raantta. Firing from all angles, I love it.
- Good effort, paying attention to the defensive/counterattacking aspects of the game.
- Props to Patric. Got blasted, was hovering around slumped and cleared the puck doing.
- Could've been a 7-3 win as well.
- Sheahan still struggling to find his footing, but I think Hagelin-Sheahan-Rust will be something for the future. That's a seriously tenacious group of guys.
- Murray looked like Murray.
- Really starting to notice Ruhwedel. He's playing well and might give Sully pause when Hunwick comes back. I enjoyed the hipcheck.

- For whatever it was worth, the Yotes played awful as well, making it easy to look good.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

Good to see you back Penspal.

Game was about as lopsided as it could have been last night I thought. Truly looked like men against boys.

Agree on Guentzel. As I watched it in real time I was asking what was taking him so long to shoot that puck. Still a lucky save though - it hit the paddle!

Sheary's shot's get off so quickly! He won't be off the score sheet much longer.

To wondermoose, regarding Crosby, I think he get's it going closer to December. Not that he isn't trying, but I expect him to start really ramping up after Thanksgiving. He's played a ton of very high level hockey the past 2 seasons.

Glad Shultzy is back. He showed how important of a cog he has become here last night.

Malkin --- what a character he has become! That vid with Bissonnette and Reaves is funny!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am

Welcome back Penspal.

The game had it's moments, considering it was a Tuesday night game against the 31st team in the league standings.

Raanta started a little shaky, but really kept his team in it for most of the game. He was the anti-Antti-Niemi last night.

As others said, glad to see Schultzy back.

Nice video for Tocchet, sounds like both teams appreciated seeing that...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:47 am

Noticed Mooseknuckle on Sid's line late last night, though Sheary might have been injured, then someone mentioned only 3 shifts after the Yotes scored.

Looked at the tape this morning, and sure enough, he didn't follow his assignment and left his man wide open for the breakaway. Props to Sully for using this as a teaching moment.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby suzinpgh on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Pitts wrote:
Game was about as lopsided as it could have been last night I thought. Truly looked like men against boys.

By the middle of the 2nd, I started wondering if the Pens were "going easy" on the Yotes to avoid embarrassing Tocc. He
certainly has his work cut out for him in developing his team, but like all things, it will take time.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:35 pm

2nd line and Schultz looked good. Hornqvist is dragging Sid down and I don't know where to play the guy because that's the only place he fits on this roster. Hagelin also needs to have the worst hands on his line but McKegg and Sheahan are both worse than him which left Rust as the only player who can shoot in the bottom 6 which is not good. Seemed like last couple playoff runs every player on the ice was capable of scoring at any given time, I don't get the vibe from anyone right now.

I really dislike Letang right now, I would reduce his ice time and see if Hunwick can get him sorted out and then see how Maatta and Dumo look together and then spread the minutes around and see if Cole can handle the increased time. Him and Schultz just work, always have, I'd want to lock him up if it's possible with the cap and if we roll the dice with Sprong and don't bring back Hags in 2019 and Horny in 2018 or even move them now it's possible to keep Cole after this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Maestro on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Due to his speed why not try Hags, Croz, Sheary - Hags is def responsible - maybe that will help.

Rust/Sheahan/Hornq doesn't sound all that bad considering what is available at center.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Got a little concerned in the 3rd when 58 & 3 were out there together. Wince.
Crashguy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Maybe not changing the lines every game could be useful as well.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins