Stewie Griffin Postgame: Caps Crush Pens 4-1

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Caps Crush Pens 4-1

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Caps, a 4-1 loss

Something good: Matt Murray did his best to keep his team in this one. Want really at fault for any of the three goals; two power play deflections (one of which went off a Penguin) and a centering pass to an uncovered Cap in the slot.

Where they need improvement: Special teams were much maligned after the game and deservedly so, but if you're better disciplined and don't give the Caps' so many looks on the power play, maybe they aren't as big of a problem.

Something good: Phil Kessel scored. At even-strength no less. It was intended to be a pass, but whatever.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Caps Crush Pens 4-1

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Something Good: Brian Dumoulin was able to return after getting his head smeared into the glass and looking a little stunned. Dumo has been our best defenseman this season.

Where They Need Improvement: Passing was terrible all night. Breakout passes were either in the guys skates or 5 feet out of reach. Gone are the early Sully days of short passes as the team advances up the ice. The guys are breaking for the other end as soon as a Penguins gets control of the puck, forcing them to make a pass thru the defense. Phils goal shouldn't have counted as the refs missed a high stick by Maatta moments before.

Something Good: The power play had good zone time and generated quality chances, tho none went in. The PK looked great for 3:59
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins