Game 19 vs Preds - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 19 vs Preds - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:16 am

Pens lose 5-4 in OT

- Rinne's curse vs Pens continues... up 3-1 and he let the Pens back in this game. Pens get the Pekka point in this one.
- Rust and Dumo shake the goal slump, now if we can only get Sid going
- Geno & Kessel just keep producing points and leading the offense, while Sid & Letang follow them, tied for 3rd in team points but tied for league worst +/-
- Jarry looking every bit like a rookie, some very good saves, some crazy notions that need to be fixed.
- Sheahan is the big body promised, also not bad on draws, but so far, I'm not seeing what GMJR thought he was getting. I know it takes time, but so far... not seeing it
- Another B2B loss.... (1 point, keep positive) not making excuses, but you can easily make yourself believe you see tired guys making bad choices as the games progress
- Kevin Fiala looks like he's going to be great for Nashville. I think they are a better team than SC finalist Preds from last year.l
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Re: Game 19 vs Preds - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby stonewizard51 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 am

Pens looked to have some life at times and lifeless at others. I'm waiting to see if JR pulls the strings on a trade before Christmas. Either way I won't start worrying until January. That seems to have been their style of play the past couple of years. Slow to start but finish hard.

I'm still trying to figure out why those idiots in scheduling gave the Pens 19 back to back series. Unreal :face:

IMHO Sheahan for Wilson has been a meh trade. Wilson isn't getting much ice time in Detroit sort of like he did here.

The Preds definitely look like they're a better team than last year. Turris & Fiala are both good additions.

I miss Bones & Cullen but not the cap hit they would have been.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:15 pm

The worst part of all those back-to-backs is how often the 2nd game is against a home team that didn't play the night before.

I liked the push back they showed last night, but outside of 81 and 71, they aren't getting enough from their best guys, and the team depth isn't good enough to overcome that.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 pm

It was a very exciting game to watch.
- Pens showed resiliency, coming back twice to tie the game. I thought they deserved the win.
- I'm convinced that either NHL scheduling is done by an idiot with a single digit IQ :slug: or the Pens are being targeted. 19 B2B? :face:
- Jarry did a pretty good Tom Barrasso impression last night (same jersey, some awesome saves, some poor decisions :wink: ). Overall, I like him. He'll improve, too.
- Liked Schultz on the 1st PP unit.
- Pens dominated the 3-3 overtime and came oh-so-close to winning it.
- I would have put Kessel out as the 3rd shooter in the shoot-out. He's playing with a ton of focus; probably would have scored. Letang is snake-bit.
- Maybe they are starting slow, but I'm thinking something has to change. This team is not as strong as last year's team (so far).
- If Nashville solves their discipline issues, I think they will win the Western Conference and have an excellent chance at the Cup. They are very strong.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm

They won back to back cups. This team is tired and needs to regroup. Let’s cut them some slack. My goodness they are not going to win every cup
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Skatingpen wrote:They won back to back cups. This team is tired and needs to regroup. Let’s cut them some slack. My goodness they are not going to win every cup

This^
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why those idiots in scheduling gave the Pens 19 back to back series. Unreal :face:

Seriously. It is half of their season. Truly uncalled for.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Letang's good play in overtime 3 on 3 really makes you wonder why he can't replicate 5 on 5.

Eckholm can punch and abuse all he wants. The engraver is not going to go back and put his name on the cup.

Two nights in a row. Taking abuse. Not sure what Reaves role should be in all of this.

Rust, Guentzel and Dumoulin scoring. Hopefully we are seeing a turnaround.

Malkin line looking good last night.

Sheahan. If he is not going to produce offensively, he better be dominant in face offs. Second goal by Subban was rough.
Southern Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Pitts wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why those idiots in scheduling gave the Pens 19 back to back series. Unreal :face:

I read somewhere the large amount of back to backs were due to the Pens having the least miles traveled in the league, so this evens it out in the NHL’s eyes.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I read somewhere the large amount of back to backs were due to the Pens having the least miles traveled in the league, so this evens it out in the NHL’s eyes.

I guess that would make sense, in some perverse way.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Just watched back to back the games against the Caps and Preds.

- Some spots of *really* good hockey. Didn't deserve to lose that Caps game until late in the 2nd. (At least one utter phantom call)
- Letang. What the flying ferret frisbees are you on about these days? Our worst defenceman behind Corrado and possibly Trotman right now. Guy is fighting the puck and NOT winning.
- Jarry. Eeeuhhh... dude. Well I'll let you off this time.
- Did not check stats, but eyeball telling me too few shots.

Just the one point, but could've been three easily. They're not going our way right now.

Between the big contract wingers, Sheary is making the least amount of case for him to stay in Pittsburgh. Kessel's an essential. Hörnqvist and Hagelin can both function quite adequately when not with Crosby. Sheary's main contribution is more goals when with Crosby over the Swedes - but we have more wingers that might do just that as well as Conor in the not so distant future
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote: Our worst defenceman behind Corrado

I liked what I saw from Corrado in his limited gameplay this season. Maybe Mike Commodore was right all along??
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote: Our worst defenceman behind Corrado

I liked what I saw from Corrado in his limited gameplay this season. Maybe Mike Commodore was right all along??

Kind of prefer Ruhwedel, but Corrado didn't look out of sorts the way Pouliot used to. At least not to my eyes.

Letang may cause blindness at his current play. :shock:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:48 am

I like Mears but I miss Steigy. Games seem too monotone at times. Almost quite.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 am

I was in Nashville for this one so let's take it from that perspective......
tickets were more expensive than I've ever paid for the seats I had. next to last row in 307 though I will say, the view wasn't bad but teh sound up there is TERRIBLE. most of the game I couldn't understand the PA announcer.
for the Pens game I always sit in the "Pens attack twice" end. usually it's about 60% Pens fans. definitely more Preds fans this time but I'd say we were still probably 35% Pens fans. everyone was very civil though inside the arena.
outside the arena was another matter. I had a few (not a lot) Preds fans trying to talk sh*t to me both before and after the game. seriously? a) you lost The Cup to us 6 months ago, b) you coughed up the lead twice and c) your starting goalie just barely beat our back-up
it amuses me when home team fans try to chant, "Crosby sucks!". the guy has 3 Stanley Cups and 2 Conn Smythe trophies. come up with something better than that.

I look forward to the Preds becoming irrelevant again (though it may take longer than I'd hoped) so that tickets are cheaper and less difficult to get.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am

shoeshine boy wrote:I was in Nashville for this one so let's take it from that perspective......
tickets were more expensive than I've ever paid for the seats I had. next to last row in 307 though I will say, the view wasn't bad but teh sound up there is TERRIBLE. most of the game I couldn't understand the PA announcer.
for the Pens game I always sit in the "Pens attack twice" end. usually it's about 60% Pens fans. definitely more Preds fans this time but I'd say we were still probably 35% Pens fans. everyone was very civil though inside the arena.
outside the arena was another matter. I had a few (not a lot) Preds fans trying to talk sh*t to me both before and after the game. seriously? a) you lost The Cup to us 6 months ago, b) you coughed up the lead twice and c) your starting goalie just barely beat our back-up
it amuses me when home team fans try to chant, "Crosby sucks!". the guy has 3 Stanley Cups and 2 Conn Smythe trophies. come up with something better than that.

I look forward to the Preds becoming irrelevant again (though it may take longer than I'd hoped) so that tickets are cheaper and less difficult to get.

They also chanted "Crosby is a sissy" which is the same chant they used with Chris Chelios. If playing hockey till you're almost 50 makes one a sissy then where does that leave the crowd that's chanting it? I get that people don't like Crosby. He's a great player, pushes back a bit, and goes out of his way most times to avoid controversy but why clown yourself chanting that? If he sucks where does that leave everyone that's ever worn a Predators uniform?

The Preds are getting better faster than their fans are getting smarter. My perfect ending to the season would be a first round exit for them at the hands of Vegas.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:I like Mears but I miss Steigy. Games seem too monotone at times. Almost quite.

Somewhere between the two is the perfect announcer.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins