Game 20 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 20 vs Sabres - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

Jim wrote:Complaining about the #12 forward is rather... sad. He is out scoring Sheahan. He is out scoring Hagelin. Sheahan is doing well on faceoffs, but neither of those guys are doing a anything else outside of offense, so Reaves is currently a better player all around than those two. Where is the CONSTANT WHINING about them being on the ice? I wonder why that is...?

Because Hags is one of the best PK guys on the team and can chase down potential icings...and not take stupid penalties and...well, you get the point. Reaves is completely one dimensional. Loses possession of the puck and almost every board battle. Everyone skates past him and he spends most of his time chipping pucks or chasing the play.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:45 am

Hot Dog Vendor wrote:
Jim wrote:As I mentioned the other day, while sitting in the stands watching the Caps/Oliers game it was QUITE CLEAR that Wilson was playing a VERY different game on Sunday than he was on Friday. On Sunday, he was, frankly, being Wilson. Late hits, high hits, after the whistle stuff. Things that he DID NOT DO on Friday. Reaves might not have the look that some people prefer, but he does change the nature of the games he plays in. Sure it doesn't stop everything, but it does make a noticable difference.. A lack of willingness to accept it does not negate it.

Complaining about the #12 forward is rather... sad. He is out scoring Sheahan. He is out scoring Hagelin. Sheahan is doing well on faceoffs, but neither of those guys are doing a anything else outside of offense, so Reaves is currently a better player all around than those two. Where is the CONSTANT WHINING about them being on the ice? I wonder why that is...?

I'm co-signing on everything you've said in this post.

Like I stated earlier, I have this Reaves argument with one of my best friends daily. Until somebody offers me a better counter-argument on why Wilson played such a different game against the Pens than what we're accustomed to seeing from him, I'm going to maintain that it's either because he didn't want to be punched in the face by Reaves, or that Trotz told him to make sure he doesn't get punched in the face by Reaves.

The impact is not measurable, either way. Hockey is emotional and physical and no matter who is on the roster physical stuff will happen. However, if something (Reaves on the bench, etc) turns a concussion causing boarding into a couple aggressive cross checks instead, or a punch to the face after a whistle into facewashing... but like I said, there is no way to measure that impact.

The Caps call up O'Brien to go with Reaves, he gets rag-dolled in the first, plays 2:31 the rest of the game... Wilson was physical, but clean (especially for Wilson). The reason, who knows, but it did go down that way.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
Jim wrote:Complaining about the #12 forward is rather... sad. He is out scoring Sheahan. He is out scoring Hagelin. Sheahan is doing well on faceoffs, but neither of those guys are doing a anything else outside of offense, so Reaves is currently a better player all around than those two. Where is the CONSTANT WHINING about them being on the ice? I wonder why that is...?

Because Hags is one of the best PK guys on the team and can chase down potential icings...and not take stupid penalties and...well, you get the point. Reaves is completely one dimensional. Loses possession of the puck and almost every board battle. Everyone skates past him and he spends most of his time chipping pucks or chasing the play.

There are a lot of fast guys on the roster, we don't need to pay one $4M (and how many potential icings has he actually negated?). There are a lot of PKers out there, we don't need to pay one $4M (put Archibald in for that). Hagelin gets 13+ minutes of even ice time per game to do absolutely nothing.

Sheahan at least wins faceoffs, and costs 1/2 the price.

Reaves costs 1/2 the price again... yet he is the problem... :thumbdown:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:11 pm

penny lane wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Sprong - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Simon - Hornquist
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Archibald

Not that it matters but I love this suggestion. I'll nominate you for our next GM.

RMT

:thumb:
I like-retweet 8-)

Personally, I feel that second line will be a disaster defensively. I would switch Sprong and Rust.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Sprong - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Simon - Hornquist
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Archibald

Not that it matters but I love this suggestion. I'll nominate you for our next GM.

RMT

:lol: :thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Jim wrote:There are a lot of fast guys on the roster, we don't need to pay one $4M (and how many potential icings has he actually negated?). There are a lot of PKers out there, we don't need to pay one $4M (put Archibald in for that). Hagelin gets 13+ minutes of even ice time per game to do absolutely nothing.

Sheahan at least wins faceoffs, and costs 1/2 the price.

Reaves costs 1/2 the price again... yet he is the problem... :thumbdown:

Well see, it is kind of hard to tell if Reaves is the problem when, after 20 games, they haven't benched his worthless a__ once. We have to be the only team in the NHL to not regularly cycle players on our bottom lines to this point. Hags got one benching.

One thing I want to make clear, my point was that Hags brings a lot more to the ice than Reaves. My point wasn't, we need to keep Hags and he is worth what he makes. I'm in your camp on that one.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins