Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 11/16/17 (Game 21)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 11/16/17 (Game 21)

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Game Day Interviews
Coach Sullivan
Ian Cole
Jake Guentzel

Quote Roundup: Pens-Sens
Spoiler:
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/quote-roundup-pens-sens/c-293038178
Here is what the Pens had to say prior to their contest against Ottawa…

MIKE SULLIVAN

On Hunwick: "He's not going to play tonight."

On analytics: "The purpose of tracking stats is so you can learn something and then react one way or another. We track certain stats internally and look at them in the short term and over the course of 10-, 20-game segments to see a certain body of work with a bigger sample size to find out where we think our team is at. It helps us identify trends."

On the high goals against lately: "The biggest reason has been our penalty kill. We gave us two goals against on the penalty kill the last couple of games, 5-on-5 has been a much better situation. Early in the year our penalty kill was really good, the last couple of games our penalty kill has slipped a little bit."

On Ottawa with Duchene: "He's just another elite player. He has the ability to generate offense. He can be a difference maker. He's a very good hockey player. That's how I see it. It makes them a better team when you put a player like that in your lineup."

IAN COLE

On Ottawa: "They're very dangerous and have guys that can really burn you if your reads aren't crisp. The ability for us to be sharp and smart is something that will serve us well tonight."

On the Eastern Conference Final: "They're a very well coached team. They're tough to get through and tough to beat. They're not going to beat themselves and give you freebees. … I think the resiliency that we showed in that series to comeback and win some of those in overtime was the difference."

On playing physical: "If it's (Ryan Reaves) coming to fight me it's a different story. No offense to Jack Eichel. It's something that's part of the game. Hitting is part of the game. A good, clean body check is still a part of hockey. It always will be. If guys take exception to that, that's fine."

JAKE GUENTZEL

On the Sens: "They're a really good team. A lot of offensive star power and obviously good defensemen. You have to be ready for that and on your toes all night."

On last year's series: "You remember what to expect and know how they play. They're a tough team to play against, but we have to play our game."

On Ottawa's 1-3-1: "The biggest thing is you have to be patient, you can't get frustrated if things aren't going your way. I think we're ready for them."

Hornqvist Fearless While Thriving in Tough Areas
Spoiler:
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/patric-hornqvist-hard-work/c-293013758
Patric Hornqvist has a knack for bank shots.

You might remember such a finish in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final at Nashville. Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne served as the backboard then. That goal gave the Penguins a 1-0 lead with 95 seconds left and ultimately propelled Pittsburgh to a second straight Stanley Cup.

Hornqvist again worked his magic from below the goal line vs. visiting Buffalo Nov. 14. This time he ricocheted the puck off Sabres forward Ryan O'Reilly to cut the Penguins' deficit to 2-1 with 19 seconds left in the first period.

Hornqvist finished the game with a goal and two assists. That hiked his stats to six goals and five assists in 17 games and helped the Pens win, 5-4 in OT.

Hornqvist wasn't exactly basking in the glory of his bank shot against Buffalo, however.

"That was 100 per cent luck, but I'll take it," Hornqvist said.

Luck is the residue of where hard work meets design, and the Swedish right winger tries doggedly to execute that formula on a consistent basis.

The Penguins are built on skill and speed, and Hornqvist is hardly bereft of those qualities. But the 6-foot, 188-pounder provides the team with a collisional element that helps greatly along the wall and near the blue paint. Hornqvist is zero fun to play against. Just ask opposing players.

Hornqvist skated on a line with Riley Sheahan and Conor Sheary against Buffalo, and Coach Mike Sullivan gave that trio its due afterward.

"They were our best line," Sullivan said. "Every time they were on the ice, they were on the puck. They were relentless on the forecheck. They forced a lot of turnovers. They got a lot of pucks to the net. They played on the inside.

"They did a lot of the things we're trying to establish consistently with our whole team."

Hornqvist was also happy with his line's showing. Hornqvist set up Sheary's goal in the second period to get the Pens to within 3-2. A long pass by Olli Maatta got Hornqvist loose behind Buffalo's defense to start that sequence.

"We played really hard, and we got some chances," Hornqvist said. "The puck was bouncing our way, too. My goal was just luck, and then I fed it over to [Sheary]. If you work hard, you get those breaks, and I think we worked hard."

The win left the Penguins at 10-7-3. Not an ideal start, but Hornqvist remains hopeful.

"I'll take the two points," Hornqvist said. "We didn't play our best. But we put five pucks behind the goaltender, and we'll take that. But we still need to clean up some things if we want to be where we want to go.

"We haven't played our best game, but we still have a decent record. That's what a good team does. But we still need to be way better. We can't control those [20] games behind us, but we can control the next 60-plus games."

The Penguins twice bounced back from a two-goal deficit to defeat Buffalo, forging a 3-3 tie on Sidney Crosby's second-period power-play goal.

The tally, Crosby's first in 12 games, came when he netted a rebound after Hornqvist got a piece of Phil Kessel's shot. The Pens were 1-for-5 on the PP.

"We moved the puck around really well," Hornqvist said. "Phil did a good job to hold onto the puck and find a lane to shoot it. Both me and Sid were on the doorstep and Sid found the puck.

"We might have to shoot a little more [on the power play], but we still created a lot of chances. I liked our power play tonight."

The Penguins didn't hold a lead against Buffalo until Sheary scored in OT. Hornqvist was happy with the comeback, nothing that the Penguins battled back from a two-goal deficit to get a point at Nashville in the previous game, losing 5-4 via shootout Nov. 11.

"When we come back in this kind of game, it gives us confidence," Hornqvist said. "It gives us a good boost, to know what we're capable to do. Today was a step in the right direction."
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Sens 11/16/17 (Game 21)

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 pm

((Apologies for the double post, but something was messing up the forum code and I couldn't track it down))

3 Things: Hunwick, Pens' "best line" and a message
Spoiler:
Here are the 3 biggest takeaways from the Penguins' Wednesday afternoon practice at UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex…

1. Hunwick takes "significant step"

Matt Hunwick rejoined his teammates for practice after being kept off the ice for a number of days. It was a different course of action taken by the team's medical staff as the defenseman recovers from a concussion that has kept him out of the lineup for the past 14 games.

"He's making progress," head coach Mike Sullivan said. "He was cleared to practice today and that's a big step for him. We'll see how he reacts to today's practice, but certainly that's a significant step, he's that much closer."

He added that Hunwick will travel with the team to Ottawa and was not ruled out for Thursday's game. Hunwick is hopeful that taking a couple of days off have pushed him past the plateau he was at, saying he was pleased with how he felt.

"I think these things are always difficult not knowing what exactly the time table is going to be," he said. "At least that's behind me now and I feel good and I'm happy with today's workload, and we'll see how I feel later on."

2. "I thought they were our best line"

The coaches have been tweaking the lines constantly throughout the first quarter of the season, trying a number of different combinations.

One they've stuck with the past two games has been Conor Sheary and Patric Hornqvist flanking Riley Sheahan, and that trio was terrific in the Pens' 5-4 overtime win against Buffalo on Tuesday, as they combined for two even-strength goals.

"I thought they were our best line," Sullivan said. "Every time they were on the ice they were on the puck. They were relentless on the forecheck, they forced turnovers, they got a lot of pucks to the net, they placed on the inside. They did a lot of the things we're trying to establish with our full team."

What Sullivan meant by "placed on the inside" was that they generated high-quality scoring chances from the battle areas inside the dots and below the goal lines. They played hard, and that work ethic was personified by Hornqvist, who was a warrior out there and finished with a goal and two assists for his efforts.

When I asked Sheahan if he had ever played with anyone quite like Hornqvist, he smiled and shook his head.

"No, he's a dog," said Sheahan, who earned his 100th career NHL point with the assist on Hornqvist's tally. "He gets on the puck and he's hard to play against. He's physical, he backchecks hard, he's good in the D zone. He's a great two-way player and in the O-zone, he's always creating havoc in front of the net, so it's fun playing with him."

He was also complimentary of what Sheary's speed can create for their line.

"Offensively, he's amazing," Sheahan said. "He creates a lot of plays. He's a little smaller but in the corners he's strong on the puck and he's not scared to get in there. Definitely he's a lot of fun playing with as well."

In the first shift of overtime, Sheary was reunited with Sidney Crosby, and the captain set up the winger for the winner. It was Sheary's second goal of the game, and eighth on the season.

"I was pretty opportunistic last night, and the chances I got I was able to bear down and put them away," he said.

3. Sullivan's message

While the players were pleased with their pushback in Tuesday's game, recovering from 3-1 and 4-3 deficits to eventually win in overtime, they agreed it wasn't the prettiest game.

Their start was particularly rough, as they gave up a number of odd-man rushes and a handful of 2-on-1s in the first period-plus, and that's why they were chasing the game.

Because of that, the coaches' message to the players today was this: controlling what they can so they become harder to play against.

"We have to force teams to have to work extremely hard to get those high-quality type chances," Sullivan said. "It can't be because we have a lack of focus or discipline or concentration or whatever the term is you might want to use, where we become easier to play against because we don't manage the puck the right way or we don't stay on the right side of a puck battle or we don't change as smart. There's a number of ways you can become easy to play against. That was the message to our team today, is that we have to control those things more consistently in order for us to sustain results the way our expectation is."
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm

How did the NHL miss scheduling the Chicago game for tomorrow!!!
Let's Go Pens!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm

What happened with Sullivan this morning?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Smacked Letang in the head?
Crashguy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IC Light on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:Smacked Letang in the head?

If he did, it wasn't nearly hard enough
IC Light
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Why in God's name is Lebrainless on the top power play?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 pm

7.5 million dollars. That's why.
Crashguy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm

First game back for Bobby Ryan. just remembered how much I hated him last May.
Southern Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Guy Boucher and his 1-3-1 can bite my shiny metal arse. zzzzzzzzzz
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Have I mentioned how helpful it is that the idiots at Root Sports can't figure out how to put the penalty time up on the screen?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Wow Matt Wow.
Crashguy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Murray Murray Murray!!!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IC Light on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm

"The Save Part 2" ?????
IC Light
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I think the Greg McKegg experiment has run its course.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Not looking good tonight. Handling the puck like a grenade
NJ Penguins Fan

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm

wondermoose wrote:I think the Greg McKegg experiment has run its course.

Hurry back Rowney!
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Geno with a comedy of errors
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Jesus, Malkin.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

BurghThing wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I think the Greg McKegg experiment has run its course.

Hurry back Rowney!

There's so much sadness in this situation.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IC Light on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Nice job Gene....
IC Light
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Like Bourque just said, "everyone knows he's gonna look to pass first instead of shoot and he gets into trouble".
Crashguy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PenGator88 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 pm

So no PP clock on ATTSN tonight?
PenGator88
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm

PenGator88 wrote:So no PP clock on ATTSN tonight?

I'm amazed the get the score on the screen
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Man, they just aren't executing the little things right now. It doesn't feel like they're far from putting some really good hockey together, but it just isn't happening.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins