Game 21 vs Sens - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 21 vs Sens - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 am

Pens win 3-1

- Murray is for the Pens so far this year, what MAF was for the Pens early last year. HUGE - Pens would be middle to bottom of league without him for sure.
- Horny is on fire right now. Kudos to Maatta for that perfect shot (hell yeah Ollie), but that tip! I had to watch replay 3 times to even see it
- Class play by Sid giving that EN goal to Sheahan. Sid could have back handed that in from the wall, but getting Sheahan going will mean waaaay more
- Anyone notice that shift were Reaves actually "deked" out about 3 guys... Fine, he was not going to the net, but he's got some smooth "rock mitts", so to speak
- Duchene's first period had me actually worried! Dude had 5 shots and looked so sic... Pens regrouped and quieted him after, nice adjustments by coaches
- Pageau is a Penguins killer. On his mini break, I just knew he was going to score.... I only get that feeling with Pens killers, so watch out for that sneaky little french speedster
- If the Sens played more exciting hockey, I would watch more of their games. They have guys oozing skill, but they are handcuffed to play boring (but winning) style
- Hoffman's shot is something else. He was robbed by Murray and then hit the crossbar. Saw him play live, hard to even fathom how good it is. Comparible to Sprong's shot?
- Before everyone jumps on Malkin for supporting Putin, please understand that Malkin has family in Russia... nuff said
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Re: Game 21 vs Sens - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pruezy11881 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am

The Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist line is looking really good. Them going as they are will certainly help the secondary scoring dept.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am

My son and I were watching the game and were commenting on how solid Dumo has been this season. About 2 minutes later he blows gap control on Pageau and gives up a goal. Still not down on him though.

On that note, Dumo, Ruhwedel and Cole have been so quietly perfect this season no one ever talks about them. It is the playmaker D you notice and Maatta is the top of that class by far right now.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:My son and I were watching the game and were commenting on how solid Dumo has been this season. About 2 minutes later he blows gap control on Pageau and gives up a goal. Still not down on him though.

On that note, Dumo, Ruhwedel and Cole have been so quietly perfect this season no one ever talks about them. It is the playmaker D you notice and Maatta is the top of that class by far right now.

I made a very similar comment to my son (probably about the same time), that Dumoulin is our best defensman. I missed the goal though, i was flipping back and forth with the Steelers game.

Many believe (at least on some articles I've read) that Cole is gone after this year, I really hope this isn't true. Cole is a warrior. I know he's in line for a nice raise, but he's one you want to find the cap space for.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:56 am

I was worried about this game :) Getting Duchene off to a great start et al!
Ian Cole being a physical penguin... go Irish.
Matt Murray with making the save needed at the right moment!

Tomorrow, time to put a hurt on the hawks.

Americans have enough to handle with the guy in the Oval office~ leave Evgeni and his politics out of hockey.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:The Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist line is looking really good. Them going as they are will certainly help the secondary scoring dept.

Sheahan is starting to look a bit better, which is surprising to me for one reason.....Sheary and Hornqvist aren't really defensive. I thought in order to get Riley going, they would need to stick him guys like Rust and Hagelin, who are typically good on the defensive side, to allow him to focus a bit more on offense.

On the flip side, I know he has points in two straight games, but his assist with Hornqvist was merely a "I touched it last" assist....nothing special where he made a great setup, and his goal was an empty netter. If that is enough to get his confidence going, than great! You'll also notice in the 3rd period of the last 2-3 games, Crosby starts double-shifting with Sheahan's unit. Part of this is likely because Sully wants to double-shift Crosby, but the other part is that Sheahan still isn't doing enough to create chances for his linemates, and Sullivan wants to get Sheary-Hornqvist out with a center that can create more opportunities for them.

Finally, I only got to watch the first period live, had to run some errands, then watched the rest of the game. I was a bit disappointed in Sheahan, because I planned on making a poll today of who scores first, Hagelin or Sheahan. Carl "Koltsov" Hagelin almost blew it first with his breakaway, but his lack of hands or any type of shot kept him off the board.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm

One LOL moment of the evening for me was Reaves & Kuhnhackl with a 2-1 breakaway. Not the most fleet of foot duo and put a whole new meaning to slow to develop.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:One LOL moment of the evening for me was Reaves & Kuhnhackl with a 2-1 breakaway. Not the most fleet of foot duo and put a whole new meaning to slow to develop.

But I at least had more confidence in them scoring than in Hagelin's breakaway.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 pm

BurghThing wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:One LOL moment of the evening for me was Reaves & Kuhnhackl with a 2-1 breakaway. Not the most fleet of foot duo and put a whole new meaning to slow to develop.

But I at least had more confidence in them scoring than in Hagelin's breakaway.

OUCH !!! But true. :(
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins