Cole & Malkin Absent

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby saupere on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 pm

I hadn't noticed until Doc Emrick mentioned in today's telecast against the Bruins that Cole and Malkin were both out and maybe one or two others. What is the nature of their injuries?
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby DelPen on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:09 am

Malkin upper body

Cole was a healthy scratch believe it or not because apparently he was the sole reason that the Nucks beat us.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,069
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby BurghThing on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:32 pm

DelPen wrote:Malkin upper body

Cole was a healthy scratch believe it or not because apparently he was the sole reason that the Nucks beat us.


Yet Letang remains not only on the ice, but on the top power play. :face:
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby saupere on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:03 pm

DelPen wrote:Malkin upper body

Cole was a healthy scratch believe it or not because apparently he was the sole reason that the Nucks beat us.

I missed most of the Canucks game. What did he do wrong in that one?
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Faubert5 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:48 pm

saupere wrote:
DelPen wrote:Malkin upper body

Cole was a healthy scratch believe it or not because apparently he was the sole reason that the Nucks beat us.

I missed most of the Canucks game. What did he do wrong in that one?

He didn't stop Letang from playing like a two-year old.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,903
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Penspal on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Look, benching "stars" is a risky action. You start benching stars, you are like the Washington Capitals... and you know how that turned out.

You bench a heart and soul team guy, then both pluggers and superstars WTF up. I like it, sure, its not a popular decision, but some problems just don't have easy solutions.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,399
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby saupere on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Did Letang take some more bad penalties that cost us the game while he was in the box?
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby BurghThing on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Two games in a role for Cole? Once to send a message, twice to...trade?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby saupere on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 pm

They won a cup without Letang. He's the one they ought to trade. Reduce our cap and make room for some younger cheaper players.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 am

BurghThing wrote:Two games in a role for Cole? Once to send a message, twice to...trade?

Yeah, I don't get it. Cole is one of the best possession defense on the team, if not the best according to his stats. He also passes the eye test....hasn't looked bad at all.

Letang on the other hand, fails in the stats and eye test department. If you are afraid of more harm by benching a superstar than Letang, I don't think benching arguably your hardest working defenseman night in and night out is the right move either.

I would not be happy if I were Cole, and this would all but kill the chance of him wanting to resign here, IMO. It's one thing to get benched when you are playing bad (ahem, Letang), something completely different to be the one chosen to be benched when you've been one of the more steady guys on defense.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,358
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby saupere on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 am

Maybe something physical is bothering Cole. You never know. Or it could be a numbers game among their left handed defensemen which include Maatta, Dumoulin, Hunwick and Cole. They may be trying to work Hunwick a little more into the lineup. He's only played 11 games so far.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Faubert5 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:20 am

FLPensFan wrote:
BurghThing wrote:Two games in a role for Cole? Once to send a message, twice to...trade?

Yeah, I don't get it. Cole is one of the best possession defense on the team, if not the best according to his stats. He also passes the eye test....hasn't looked bad at all.

Letang on the other hand, fails in the stats and eye test department. If you are afraid of more harm by benching a superstar than Letang, I don't think benching arguably your hardest working defenseman night in and night out is the right move either.

I would not be happy if I were Cole, and this would all but kill the chance of him wanting to resign here, IMO. It's one thing to get benched when you are playing bad (ahem, Letang), something completely different to be the one chosen to be benched when you've been one of the more steady guys on defense.

I don't get the people that think you will lose the team if you bench a superstar who is not playing well. How does benching someone because you're afraid to bench someone else earn the respect of your players? I'm hoping it's something physical with Cole rather that would keep him from performing rather than his past play.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,903
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby saupere on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 am

There is an unknown Lithuanian defenseman who may just make the mother team soon. Andrey Pedan who we got in a trade for Pouliot from Vancouver. He's shown one of the better +- averages in WBS thusfar. Would also like to see Sprong finally make it up here. Cannot figure out why they've kept him down so long.
saupere
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Penspal on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Something is up with Cole for sure. Without knowing the details, I'm going to refrain from commenting (I wish more would do so). However, the Pens and HCMS are doing it right, I appreciate them not doing this...

Detroit Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill is unhappy with the play of Anthony Mantha, joining the Red Wings tradition of calling out the young star.
"Anthony Mantha has got to be way better. Way better. It's not okay to just be a passenger when you're given the opportunity to be an impact
player." ... from The Complete Hockey News - [url]https://m.facebook.com/CompleteHockeyNews/
[/url]

That's got to be a private conversation, especially to a younger player OR a veteran like Cole. Media outlets pick up on stuff like this and blow it waaaaay out of proportion.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,399
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Penspal wrote:Something is up with Cole for sure. Without knowing the details, I'm going to refrain from commenting (I wish more would do so). However, the Pens and HCMS are doing it right, I appreciate them not doing this...

Detroit Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill is unhappy with the play of Anthony Mantha, joining the Red Wings tradition of calling out the young star.
"Anthony Mantha has got to be way better. Way better. It's not okay to just be a passenger when you're given the opportunity to be an impact
player." ... from The Complete Hockey News - [url]https://m.facebook.com/CompleteHockeyNews/
[/url]

That's got to be a private conversation, especially to a younger player OR a veteran like Cole. Media outlets pick up on stuff like this and blow it waaaaay out of proportion.


Maybe it has Deen a private conversation. Maybe it has been discussed privately 50 times. Sometimes a safe space is not what is needed.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,362
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Admin on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11,584
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby ville5 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Admin wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/11/27/Ian-Cole-Penguins-healthy-scratch-frustration-Mike-Sullivan/stories/201711270133

Friedman tweeted that Cole's rep has been given permission to talk to other teams.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,816
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby jeffshly on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 pm

jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 am

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Do not like...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,028
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm
Location: north central Ohio

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 am

Bad move
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,637
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:09 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 am

jeffshly wrote:http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13004773-74/penguins-seeking-to-trade-defenseman-ian-cole


Is "an industry source" another writer? A blog poster?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,362
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 am

Jim wrote:
jeffshly wrote:http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13004773-74/penguins-seeking-to-trade-defenseman-ian-cole


Is "an industry source" another writer? A blog poster?


Indystry .... sounds to me as if it is a factory worker, at least since I'm from Sweden where "Industry" usually refers to a som kind of factory, like a ... i dunno, car factory maybe ..
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Cole & Malkin Absent

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:06 pm

pekkasteele wrote:
Jim wrote:
jeffshly wrote:http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/13004773-74/penguins-seeking-to-trade-defenseman-ian-cole


Is "an industry source" another writer? A blog poster?


Indystry .... sounds to me as if it is a factory worker, at least since I'm from Sweden where "Industry" usually refers to a som kind of factory, like a ... i dunno, car factory maybe ..


A steamfitter told me...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,362
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FLPensFan, LimerickPensFan, Steve and 22 guests


e-mail