Game 25 vs Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 25 vs Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:52 am

Pens win 5-2

- Pens bent bud did not break early, allowing them to turn the tables on the Bolts. Great resilience by Jarry and the crew
- A short handed goal set the stage for the game. What a goal by Rust, he was due and his goal celebration showed it.
- Horny's battle level on goals 2 and 3 were sick. He stole the puck after it slipped away resulting in the first Kessel tally, what a play!
- Tampa is a great team. There were points in the game where they had the Pens hemmed in, but the opposite was also true. This Pens club is a good one, they just need to be consistent
- Jarry was fantastic in getting his first NHL win AND his first NHL point. Him stopping the leading scorer in Kucherov can only bring him confidence.
- Budaj has lost it and thank you very much Coach Cooper for putting him in there. Pens need to take advantage of the poor keepers they face. Who wants to play against Niemi?
- Kessel... I could not help but smile and laugh everytime they showed him grinning. He's having genuine fun out there and as a fan, you love to see that.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 25 vs Bolts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:10 am

Glad Tampa got to experience back to back away games. Not fun eh? Enjoy your Presidents Cup

Kessel quietly having a great year. Hustling on defense. Fourth leading scorer in the league.

Sid taking over in Geno absence.

Letang is an adequate #5 defenseman. Power play looked better with Schultz. I guess a broken record.

Reaves should sit in games where there is no probability of mayhem.

Nice win for Jarry. We would have down early with Niemi in goal

Got the back to back curse resolved. Wasn’t that our first home game on a back to back ?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:07 am

--I'll start with the downer portion of the post.....great win, but, still had to rely heavily on special teams to win the game, with only 1 goal at even strength.
--The Penguins showed signs of the team that they are capable of in the first 5 minutes of the game. The first 3 shifts dominated possession, got some shots and good chances, and remembered how to keep possession of the puck and breakout. Then, after 5 minutes, they went back to their stupid ways after a good Tampa possession or two. Some early signs, but still need to be much more consistent.

--It's a shame that this is happening without Malkin, but their PP against Tampa was exactly how they need to play it more often. With the regular squad, including Geno, 90% of the time Phil is on the left, Letang/Schultz and Geno up high, Hornqvist in front, Crosby halfwall or down low. And all of those guys move about 15 feet from their spot and that is it. If you noticed yesterday, guys were less "in their spot." On both Crosby's goals, Kessel was more up high and even more on the right side of the ice. Saw a lot of other movement that their PP lacks usually. Everyone staying in basically the same spot becomes predictable, both to defend and to know what type of shot is coming from who. Keep up the movement on the PP please.

--I've been pretty lax and willing to include Tristan Jarry in just about any significant trade proposal, because I think he has too much upside to be stuck behind Murray for several years. He keeps playing like he has this season, the Penguins will have an interesting decision in goal in another year or two. Murray is the technical guy who has won two Cups already. Jarry is more a combination of Fleury's athleticism and Barrasso's puck moving ability. In only 4 starts in his NHL career, Jarry has some pretty remarkable acrobatic type saves, showing off that athleticism. He keeps this up and Murray continues to struggle a bit......Penguins building up a bigger trade chip down the road.

--I think this season, we are finally starting to see the Phil Kessel most expected when the Penguins acquired him. He's shooting a lot more, which is a big reason. He's on pace right now for over 300 shots, something he hasn't done since the last time he scored 30+ goals (37 goals) in the 2013-2014 season. He's also moved up to 5th in overall points it the NHL.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Listened in the radio, heard Reaves name once. Really can’t wait until we don’t need to see him playing anymore.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm

DelPen wrote:Listened in the radio, heard Reaves name once. Really can’t wait until we don’t need to see him playing anymore.

C'mon man, you can't hear safety over the radio. You have to watch the games to see the safety and warm n' fuzzies he gives our star players. :roll:

Was a fan of the acquisition, but that enthusiasm has waned considerably. He's at the point where he should play once every 3-5 games to keep fresh, or against a team like PHI/WAS/CBJ, otherwise, save him for the playoffs.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mango Salsa on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
Got the back to back curse resolved. Wasn’t that our first home game on a back to back ?

The NHL really should make more of an effort to schedule games where both teams are playing back to back, not just one. I don't have any stats but I'd guess 75% of the time it's a win for the fresher team. Maybe more.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 pm

No one heard Reaves' name because he played fewer than 4 minutes. I don't know if this is Sully's way of forcing Rutherford's hand or what, but wasting a roster spot is not what I am used to seeing from Sully. Honestly, you can throw McKegg and even Kuhnhackl in there because they're both starting to get closer and closer to that 6 minute per game range.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:03 pm

wondermoose wrote:No one heard Reaves' name because he played fewer than 4 minutes. I don't know if this is Sully's way of forcing Rutherford's hand or what, but wasting a roster spot is not what I am used to seeing from Sully. Honestly, you can throw McKegg and even Kuhnhackl in there because they're both starting to get closer and closer to that 6 minute per game range.

Thing is, how much better is the 4th line if you added a scorer, as opposed to Reaves. How does the dynamic of the line change, if you simply add Sprong (for example).
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Daniel wrote:
wondermoose wrote:No one heard Reaves' name because he played fewer than 4 minutes. I don't know if this is Sully's way of forcing Rutherford's hand or what, but wasting a roster spot is not what I am used to seeing from Sully. Honestly, you can throw McKegg and even Kuhnhackl in there because they're both starting to get closer and closer to that 6 minute per game range.

Thing is, how much better is the 4th line if you added a scorer, as opposed to Reaves. How does the dynamic of the line change, if you simply add Sprong (for example).

Something something Sprong can't defend something something even though Reaves has never been able to defend.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 pm

wondermoose wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Something something Sprong can't defend something something even though Reaves has never been able to defend.

Giving Sprong 4-5 minutes a game will do absolutely nothing. I'd rather he be in Wilkes-Barre if he doesn't get time
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Giving Sprong 4-5 minutes a game will do absolutely nothing. I'd rather he be in Wilkes-Barre if he doesn't get time

Sprong was just an example, and the 4th line would likely play about 10 minutes per night with him replacing Reaves. Plus, Sprong could get PP time and a few shifts on the top 2 lines.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Oh I agree, but I was using him for as an example of the hypocrisy of the situation. Reaves and McKegg are not defensively adept players. Kuhnhackl has been playing well below a replaceable level for the entire season (and most of last year too). I can buy that Sully believes other forwards, namely Hagelin and Rust, will figure things out (and at a certain point, that's all you can do for players that have been reliable in the past), but there has been nothing positive to come out of Kuhnhackl, McKegg, and Reaves for a long, long time. Curb-stomped in the possession game, near the bottom of the league on the PK, and zero offensive production. There are literally zero reasons to keep them on the roster over most anyone at this point.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 pm

wondermoose wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Oh I agree, but I was using him for as an example of the hypocrisy of the situation. Reaves and McKegg are not defensively adept players. Kuhnhackl has been playing well below a replaceable level for the entire season (and most of last year too). I can buy that Sully believes other forwards, namely Hagelin and Rust, will figure things out (and at a certain point, that's all you can do for players that have been reliable in the past), but there has been nothing positive to come out of Kuhnhackl, McKegg, and Reaves for a long, long time. Curb-stomped in the possession game, near the bottom of the league on the PK, and zero offensive production. There are literally zero reasons to keep them on the roster over most anyone at this point.

I'd keep Kuhnhackl over the others, simply because he can do well with the right line mates. Not that I think Reaves is a bad player, just doesn't fit the team.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am

Signing Reaves was a mistake. They need to realize this before the playoffs because he does not add enough to this team to warrant a roster spot. He wasn't worth trading a first rounder either. Maybe they got him for the regular season games where more nastiness seems to happen, I dunno.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:26 am

Only one goal at even strength but the Bolts scored one even strength goal as well. I get that you're saying over the last several games even strength has been in a rut. But I'll take it vs a very good Tampa team.

Loved watch Hornqvist go to the net and basically move the dman out of the way for Sid to tip that goal in. It almost look like a designed play.

FLPensFan wrote:--I'll start with the downer portion of the post.....great win, but, still had to rely heavily on special teams to win the game, with only 1 goal at even strength.
--The Penguins showed signs of the team that they are capable of in the first 5 minutes of the game. The first 3 shifts dominated possession, got some shots and good chances, and remembered how to keep possession of the puck and breakout. Then, after 5 minutes, they went back to their stupid ways after a good Tampa possession or two. Some early signs, but still need to be much more consistent.

--It's a shame that this is happening without Malkin, but their PP against Tampa was exactly how they need to play it more often. With the regular squad, including Geno, 90% of the time Phil is on the left, Letang/Schultz and Geno up high, Hornqvist in front, Crosby halfwall or down low. And all of those guys move about 15 feet from their spot and that is it. If you noticed yesterday, guys were less "in their spot." On both Crosby's goals, Kessel was more up high and even more on the right side of the ice. Saw a lot of other movement that their PP lacks usually. Everyone staying in basically the same spot becomes predictable, both to defend and to know what type of shot is coming from who. Keep up the movement on the PP please.

--I've been pretty lax and willing to include Tristan Jarry in just about any significant trade proposal, because I think he has too much upside to be stuck behind Murray for several years. He keeps playing like he has this season, the Penguins will have an interesting decision in goal in another year or two. Murray is the technical guy who has won two Cups already. Jarry is more a combination of Fleury's athleticism and Barrasso's puck moving ability. In only 4 starts in his NHL career, Jarry has some pretty remarkable acrobatic type saves, showing off that athleticism. He keeps this up and Murray continues to struggle a bit......Penguins building up a bigger trade chip down the road.

--I think this season, we are finally starting to see the Phil Kessel most expected when the Penguins acquired him. He's shooting a lot more, which is a big reason. He's on pace right now for over 300 shots, something he hasn't done since the last time he scored 30+ goals (37 goals) in the 2013-2014 season. He's also moved up to 5th in overall points it the NHL.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 am

Random, but interesting comment from via Josh Yohe.....Matt Murray, talking about Kessel....Murray basically said Kessel is using a bunch of different sticks (guessing with different setups) during games to mess with how goalies perceive the puck will come. I don't have access to the Athletic (yet...coming soon), but sounds like he is finally learning to use a little stiffer stick on the PP to be able to take slappers.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:26 am

At least he's making an effort to better himself as well as for the betterment of how he is used on the power play.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:25 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Random, but interesting comment from via Josh Yohe.....Matt Murray, talking about Kessel....Murray basically said Kessel is using a bunch of different sticks (guessing with different setups) during games to mess with how goalies perceive the puck will come. I don't have access to the Athletic (yet...coming soon), but sounds like he is finally learning to use a little stiffer stick on the PP to be able to take slappers.

I just read the article, no more details about stick selection for Phil other than what you covered. Just a lot of praise of Phil from Sullivan, his conditioning and "daily habits" at the rink.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:Signing Reaves was a mistake. They need to realize this before the playoffs because he does not add enough to this team to warrant a roster spot. He wasn't worth trading a first rounder either. Maybe they got him for the regular season games where more nastiness seems to happen, I dunno.

If he was used correctly the situation would be better... but he isn't... so it's not.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins