Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Ground Lightning 5-2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Ground Lightning 5-2

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Lightning, a 5-2 win

Something good: Special teams were huge, especially early. They got off to a decent start, then got into penalty trouble. Not only did they kill off a double-minor, Rust tallied a shorty to open the scoring. The PK ended up 5 for 6 and the power play went 3 for 5, all 3 coming with a 2 man advantage. I don't think you want to count on that much 5v3 time, but hopefully the goals give all involved a confidence boost.

Where they need improvement: Even strength play was still an issue. They broke even on the scoreboard in that department, but Tampa had a distinct advantage in play, especially early. Tampa outshot the Pens 14-8 and out-Corsi'd them (if that's a thing) 29-17 (22-8 at ES), but thanks to insane special teams and good goaltending, they got out of the 1st up 3-0.

Something good: Phil Kessel, as he has been most of the season, was tremendous. I felt the "How will the Pens ever handle Phil without Tocchet?" talk was pretty much a joke to begin with, and his play thus far is making that nonsense that much more laughable. The Kessel Kurl on the 3rd goal is the Crane Kick of 5v3 power play strategies: if do right, no can defense.

Side of chips: Sometimes, a sandwich is just better with some chips. Tristan Jarry was excellent. He made some quality saves on the early double-minor to give Rust the opportunity to open the scoring and he made several more good stops later, none more impressive than his robbery of Kucherov. Good on him for his first NHL win.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins