Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Prevail Over Flyers 5-4 OT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Prevail Over Flyers 5-4 OT

Postby netwolf on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Flyers, a 5-4 OT win

Something good: Jake Guentzel does it all. A Recchi-like snipe display of skill to open the scoring and a Hornqvist-like net crash to tie it up late. Don't look now, but 59 has 5 goals in his last 4 games.

Where they need improvement: That second period... woof. Shots were fairly even (16-14 bad guys), but they got outscored 3-0 and at times looked ever worse than that score would indicate.

Something good: Dat OT winner doe... What a gorgeous display that was. Everyone thought Letang was just going to bomb one on net, but he fires a strike right to the waiting, angled blade of Sidney Crosby. How do you stop that? Hope for a miss I guess? And speaking of heating up, 87 has back-to-back 3 point games going. Not bad.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Prevail Over Flyers 5-4 OT

Postby wondermoose on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Reaves, McKegg, and Kuhnhackl all played about 5:30 last night. That's.... I don't even know anymore.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 pm

wondermoose wrote:Reaves, McKegg, and Kuhnhackl all played about 5:30 last night. That's.... I don't even know anymore.

Gotta wear down those stars for another playoff run...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Pens strung together two good periods last night - 1st and 3rd.
In the 2nd they gave up a ton of odd-man rushes. If not for the posts and cross-bars, the score might have been 6 or 7 to 1.
Jarry reacted well to the pressure. Very nice to have him in relief instead of Niemi.
Super encouraging to see the Pens focus and attack in the 3rd and put that bunch of losers in their place. I particularly enjoyed the Pens erasure of two Flyer leads. :fist:
A Sullivan-coached team is not out of the game no matter what the score is. :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins