GAme 26 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Afternoon After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

GAme 26 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Afternoon After

Postby Penspal on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Pens win 5-4 in OT

- Any win over Philly is a great win, but this one came at a cost..... Losing Murray is going to be difficult for the Pens imho
- Never seems to fail... when Geno's out, Sid picks up his game. Great goal on an amazing shot/pass from Letang
- Kudos to Jarry for another great game. The Pens are so very fortunate to have such quality young keeprs. Hoping the 2-4 weeks for Murray is accurate and that Murray is not rushed back
- I know this is a biased opinion, but could not anyone do what Voracek did and "lose and edge" making it "legal contact" to crash the net..... I'm not saying it was intentional, but why no penalty?
- Colby Armstrong was on Canada's Sportsnet broadcast & was critical of the Pens lackadaisical defensive style in their own dzone. He's not wrong, some 5 on 5 dzone play looks like a pplay for opponents.
- Flyers were ringing post like mad... It seems easy to be come superstitious as a hockey player or fan when you are jolted with every one of those close calls.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GAme 26 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Afternoon After

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Yay! finally the thoughts thread!
So much of what you said Penspal.
- We were flat-out outplayed for long stretches and then the team went into playoff mode in the 3rd and looked like the team from last year (and the TB game) again.
- I will repeat what I said in another thread. Hunwick makes really bad decisions a lot. Pouliot was better from my eyes and we flushed him out of the system.
- Rowney looked really good to me. Better than I remember him being last year. I'd love for him to add "scoring" to his resume.
- I truly love Guentzel but what I love the most is what he brings to the game doesn't go away with age. His hockey sense is amazing.
- Oh, and this team would be dead with without Horny. They need to keep him until he no longer is willing to take a beating.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Yes, I'm happy to see this thread re-appear, too. :thumb:

- Pens strung together two good periods last night - 1st and 3rd. I don't know where they were for the 2nd. They gave up a ton of odd-man rushes. If not for the posts and cross-bars, the score might easily have been 6 or 7 to 1.
- Officiating was its usual questionable garbage. Murray gets run, no penalty? :shock: Jarry got the same treatment later in the game - zip. Flyers have a history of running our goaltenders. Remember Fleury's concussion at the end of the 2016 season?
- Jarry reacted well to the pressure. Very nice to have him in relief instead of Niemi.
- Super encouraging to see the Pens focus and attack in the 3rd and put that bunch of losers in their place. I particularly enjoyed the Pens erasure of two Flyer leads. :fist:
- A Sullivan-coached team is not out of the game no matter what the score is. :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:46 pm

- Murray gets healing vibes.
- Jarry's a good goalie. He's the man until Murray gets back. Call up DeSmith.
- Pens not challenging the opponent in their own zone, does look like 5 on 5 PP often. Disturbing. Add a bad Sheahan pass and we're giving up 3 shots!
- Hunwick not good. Letang not good and quite good at different times. I think both are salvageable.
- Some good offensive efforts at stretches - you get glimmers of why this team is back to back SCC. Maybe let's not drop 3 goals before that happens.
- Pens main guns in action. Going to give Bryan Clutchtache a big thumbs up in particular.
- Our fourth line looked like an AHL 3rd line. Time to quietly move people off the NHL roster and call some people up for a cup of coffee.

We can diminish the performance of the Pens in many ways.. but the fact is they came up with four points out of two games. Keep that train rolling!
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Why did this team get Reaves again? Because he’s not preventing anything and he’s also not punishing the other team when they aren’t deterred. Only time I heard his name last night was when lehtera blew him up with a hit.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:56 pm

DelPen wrote:Why did this team get Reaves again? Because he’s not preventing anything and he’s also not punishing the other team when they aren’t deterred. Only time I heard his name last night was when lehtera blew him up with a hit.

He is preventing things. I commented on it after the Caps game and how the Caps played the next game. He is making a difference, love it or lump it. It's not Reaves fault that many cracks are coming to light in Sullivan's coaching... system.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Jim wrote:
DelPen wrote:Why did this team get Reaves again? Because he’s not preventing anything and he’s also not punishing the other team when they aren’t deterred. Only time I heard his name last night was when lehtera blew him up with a hit.

He is preventing things. I commented on it after the Caps game and how the Caps played the next game. He is making a difference, love it or lump it. It's not Reaves fault that many cracks are coming to light in Sullivan's coaching... system.

^^^^ I agree.

I have seen Sully put Reaves on the ice exactly once to send a message. It was when Sully put Reaves on Geno's line after an incident. That's it. Reaves is not a deterrent if he remains firmly planted on the bench when teams run our goalie or clobber our stars.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Jim wrote:

^^^^ I agree.

I have seen Sully put Reaves on the ice exactly once to send a message. It was when Sully put Reaves on Geno's line after an incident. That's it. Reaves is not a deterrent if he remains firmly planted on the bench when teams run our goalie or clobber our stars.

Thing with Reaves - he made such a huge impact in that first game against Nashville. Why wasn't he like that last night, or any other game since? I really think Sullivan has the reigns pulled tight on him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 pm

A tidbit from the evening after. The Flyers played again tonight and lost to the Sharks 3-1.

The tidbit? "For the first time since 1969 (excluding work stoppages), the Eagles and 76ers will have more wins than the Flyers on Dec. 1."(Via Philly.com)

From a Pens fan perspective, I believe the correct description is "schadenfreude".
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Nothing shameful about it I say :)
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 am

Humperdink wrote:A tidbit from the evening after. The Flyers played again tonight and lost to the Sharks 3-1.

The tidbit? "For the first time since 1969 (excluding work stoppages), the Eagles and 76ers will have more wins than the Flyers on Dec. 1."(Via Philly.com)

From a Pens fan perspective, I believe the correct description is "schadenfreude".

The Eagles had more wins than the Flyers the entire month of November (3), even though the Eagles had a bye week during the month.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins