Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Stampede Buffalo 4-0

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Stampede Buffalo 4-0

Postby netwolf on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Sabres, a 4-0 win

Something good: Tom Kuhnhackl's penalty shot goal got the Pens up 1-0 early, and good starts are important against bad teams. Often, the longer you let a bad team hang around, the tougher the game gets. TK will never be an all-star, but he has decent skill and it showed here. Goals from the 4th line are always a plus.

Where they need improvement: Score effects aside, 2 shots in the 3rd period is no good. I know they were up 4-0, but you can't just stop playing and you don't want to get into bad habits.

Something good: Pretty good run for Tristan Jarry. He's won 3 in a row (his first 3 wins in the NHL) and now his first NHL shutout. With Murray hurt, they needed someone to step up, and so far, he's been great.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Stampede Buffalo 4-0

Postby wondermoose on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 am

Despite the lack of shots, I thought the Pens did an okay job keeping the puck inside the Sabres zone. Does anyone keep track of literal zone time? The Hagelin line, especially, did a fantastic job keeping the puck safely away from Jarry.

Speaking of Hagelin, despite the lack of scoring, I have still thought he's been an effective player. People point to his cap hit and immediately try to place an expectation with it, but his speed and tenacity is so unique that I think regular metrics don't apply to him. More production would be nice, but I care more about whether he's setting the pace for the team like he always has. I'd be worried if it felt like he was actively hurting the team, which leads us to....

Ryan Reaves. Reaves played about 7 minutes last night. If there was ever a scenario where he ought to have been getting a lot more minutes, last night was the one. Might be getting to the point where both parties are looking for a way to walk away.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins