Searching for a cure - RDS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Searching for a cure - RDS

Postby Humperdink on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Medical professionals have begun a frantic search for a cure for a malady that has afflicted certain hockey fans. The disorder appears to be isolated to fans that are following a professional hockey team from western PA. They have tentatively identified it as Reaves Derangement Syndrome (RDS). The symptoms first surfaced on June 17, 2017. The RDS outbreak subsided somewhat over the summer, but then reappeared in earnest on October 3, 2017.

The difficulty in finding the cause and cure is that symptoms typically appear only in Game Day Threads. The symptoms include an obsession with a little used player on the Stanley Cup winning Pittsburgh Penguins. For now, it appears the tentative cause of the disease has been placed at the feet of 3-time Stanley Cup winning general manager Jim Rutherford for acquiring this inept, unskilled player.

Clinical trials have commenced and the early results have suggested eliminating the player from the team as a potential solution. Banishing him to a team in the west is a possible, but unlikely scenario. Others have suggested placing the player in the witness protection program until a suitable trading partner can be located. According to experts, both solutions are long shots at best, as this seldom used hack would bring little in return. The experts say it's a minor miracle this slug is even in the NHL.

The downside, from a fan standpoint, is that removing said player from the team, will reduce the GDT threads from six (6) pages to two (2).

The search for the RDS cause/cure remains elusive.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Searching for a cure - RDS

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Lol... Well done sir. Dilly Dilly.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fat Old Frank on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 am

Obsessed much?

Guy got quite a big hand at Saturday's game.
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 am

Fat Old Frank wrote:Obsessed much?

Guy got quite a big hand at Saturday's game.

I presume you refrain from reviewing the GDT's. I would encourage to check the last few to get a flavor of what I refer to.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Some you folks just don't like having a black guy on the team do you? Sad.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Jim wrote:Some you folks just don't like having a black guy on the team do you? Sad.

I am not sure I would offer that charge up without some hard evidence. I am a big fan of the guy, but I do not see any racism in those that hold the opposing view. (edited)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Humperdink wrote:
Jim wrote:Some you folks just don't like having a black guy on the team do you? Sad.

I am not sure I would offer that charge up without some hard evidence. I am a big fan of the guy, but I do not see any racism in those that hold the opposing view. (edited)

Seriously? I mean Jim is Jim, but I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic. (I hope lol)
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 am

Im confused... I thought the whole thing was a joke about people freaking out too much over Reaves... Hence the GDT going down to two pages comment, like people can no longer overreact about Reaves. Everything I have read is he is still great in the locker room and a well liked teammate. Reaves was my favorite Blue for years, so I am biased. Him playing only 4-5 mins a night some nights sucks, but I am optimistic he is going to be valuable in the more physical playoffs.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

Seriously? I mean Jim is Jim, but I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic. (I hope lol)

My pixelated sarcasm meter is in the shop getting re-calibrated so I couldn't pick up the sarcasm. I will trust your judgement.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 am

OKpensfan247 wrote:Im confused... I thought the whole thing was a joke about people freaking out too much over Reaves... Hence the GDT going down to two pages comment

Correctimundo.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 am

Humperdink wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:Im confused... I thought the whole thing was a joke about people freaking out too much over Reaves... Hence the GDT going down to two pages comment

Correctimundo.

I'm undecided about Reaves still. He's not as bad as some people say, but he's the ugly duckling by far on this team in terms of skill.

He brings some intangibles to the table. Those may may have had an influence already, hard to say. If it's the stars feeling more secure, I'm not seeing much benefit, as they've not been consistent so far. Excepting #81.

The main real downside is that we are playing 3 lines. Our fourth line isn't out there to do much if anything, Reaves does weigh it down, that much the eyeball can clearly see. It doesn't help that the 4th also hasnt a very good centre. Best we have there are mckegg and rowney. One of which should be in the AHL, the other on a wing. Neither shines with Reaves nearby, but they wouldnt otherwise I think.

The 'victim' has to be Tom Kühnhackl. Who doesn't get much use aside from the PK and has a little ability to hockey. I dont think 4th liner Reaves keeps AHL guys down, only their salary.

Looking at intangibles... We have Hornqvist and a few others with a chip on their shoulders. And Malkin and Cole. Reaves makes a fourth for that kind of thing. It can help the team calm down and get their energy up, but I dont think the results have been consistent.

Perhaps seeing more divisional games will help.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:56 am

The guy just doesn't make us a better hockey team. Maybe a little harder to play against for the guy who wants to fight him. But other wise come playoffs all that is forgotten and its down to playing the sport. There are better options in my opinion. I would rather see Scott Wilson grinding it out on the ice for 9 or 10 mins than see Reeves play 4 or 5 mins on the ice and another 5 in the box.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 pm

no name wrote:The guy just doesn't make us a better hockey team. Maybe a little harder to play against for the guy who wants to fight him. But other wise come playoffs all that is forgotten and its down to playing the sport. There are better options in my opinion. I would rather see Scott Wilson grinding it out on the ice for 9 or 10 mins than see Reeves play 4 or 5 mins on the ice and another 5 in the box.

Reaves has actually scored and gained a pair of apples. Wilson still at 0 points in 20. I get that Reaves isnt much and all that, but neither is Wilson. Hasn't been for quite some time either. Trading him prevented waivers and picked up a different player. But I dont think Wilson wasn't completely replaceable.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins