Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Rangers Ricochet Past Pens 4-3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Rangers Ricochet Past Pens 4-3

Postby netwolf on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Rangers, a 4-3 loss

Something good: He only finished with 1 assist (a beauty to set up that Hornqvist breakaway PPG), but Evgeni Malkin was a force all night. 5 shots, plus 2 more of the post. An inch away from a couple of goals, but sometimes you don't get the breaks...

Where they need improvement: I'm a big fan of his, but Kris Letang had a rough night. The GWG deflecting off of him was just bad luck, but it seems to me that he's over thinking things (pump the breaks on the pump fakes!) and trying to do too much. He's had issues most of the year (although I was surprised to see he's tied for 4th in defensive scoring), and this team needs him to get straight. Hopefully sooner than later.

Something good: Olli Maatta was excellent. Like Malkin, he had 1 assist, 5 shots, and was a inch away from a goal, clanging one off the post. With Letang struggling and Schultz dinged up, Maatta's importance is on the rise. The Pens are fortunate he's returned to his rookie form.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Rangers Ricochet Past Pens 4-3

Postby wondermoose on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 pm

I think the overall speed of the average player is really messing with Letang right now. Players are only getting faster and he's constantly putting himself into positions where he can't recover like he used to. It certainly doesn't look like he has lost a step (amazingly), but watching him get burned on races to pucks back into the defensive zone is getting old.

I know it'll never happen because Letang is that special type of player, but I think he'd benefit mightily from watching a game or two from above. He's just so out of control sometimes that a heavy-handed approach to discipline might be really beneficial.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins