Game 30 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 30 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 am

Pens win 4-3 in OT

- Love watching the Pens beat division rivals in OT... hated seeing it get to OT, but the Isles are a good club and earned their point
- Pens played solid team defence that seemed to lull the Isles to sleep. Barzal's goal really woke them up... good looking rookie for sure
- Lots of focus on Maatta with Schultz out... Maatta was in slowmo mode last night, not sure why, but he even held puck too long
- Letang is leading the NHL dmen in assists. Yes, we are all over him for boneheaded defence, but I will give him credit for the simple smart ozone plays that are leading to goals
- While talking D..... Hunwick from the crease in OT... crazy :D :shock:
- Guentzel is what I thought he was..... pure hockey player... period.
- I didn't like the Eberle hit on Sid. Eberle was not avoiding the contact & almost looked pleased to get a piece of Crosby when he wasn't looking. Loved seeing Sid go after him
- However, Sid didn't see the same afterwards.... I know I'd be gunshy considering what Sid's gone through earlier in his career from a very similar hit
- Kuhnhackl's took a puck to the face. If the Pens need to replace him, Archie is down in WBS & McKeeg passwed waivers and is in limbo... curious to see which way they go
- On the topic of Reaves.... You did not see Clutterbuck running around doing his schtick.... cause Reaves made a point to remind him.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 30 vs Isles - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am

Mentioned this in the game day thread, but the Reaves-Cluttebuck situation is EXACTLY what I expect Reaves to be doing more of. Clutterbuck starts yapping and hacking Hagelin before the draw, so Reaves switches with Hagelin and gets in his face. I am quite positive that Reaves challenged him to a fight, but of course, Clutterbuck was dishing out stuff he wasn't going to back up because of the stitches he got in his hand earlier in the game.

Reaves didn't need to fight him. Didn't need to draw or take a penalty. Simply go up to the guy, and tell him to knock the **** off. He needs to be doing more of that when these situations arise.

FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby midd on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am

OT was crazy. Both teams had chances to end it but miss opportunities. Missed pucks on wide open cages, a broken stick, craziness.

Pens d suffered that last few minutes of the game. 2 missed chances to getting the puck out of the zone by Maatta.

Good to see Letang regaining his touch. He took a few steps back but his def. heading in the right direction.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:50 am

Halak! Played well and got lucky with Rust hitting the goal post. Not often Kessel misses a breakaway.
I liked the coaching of getting the isles to play at the pens pace- it worked until they got sloppy.
Reaves' silencing the isles after Clatterback was chirping to Hagelin was great. Gary Roberts- lite.
A pens victory is never certain when playing the isles.

Among players with at least 100 home GP, NHL's all-time leaders in average points per home game: Gretzky (2.09), Mario (1.98), Bossy (1.68), Orr (1.54), Crosby (1.43), Dionne (1.41), Esposito (1.39), Nilsson (1.39), Lafleur (1.39), Malkin (1.33). Let's remember what we're seeing.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

One other big item is that, while he was never playing bad or "well below" his standard output, Phil Kessel is currently on pace right now to be what many thought he would be when we made the trade. He's on pace for 38 goals and 95 points, both would be career highs for him. Maybe it just took a year or two to really, fully fit into Sully's system, but this year's Phil is 10x more deadly than the 2x Stanley Cup champion Phil....and that is scary.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:One other big item is that, while he was never playing bad or "well below" his standard output, Phil Kessel is currently on pace right now to be what many thought he would be when we made the trade. He's on pace for 38 goals and 95 points, both would be career highs for him. Maybe it just took a year or two to really, fully fit into Sully's system, but this year's Phil is 10x more deadly than the 2x Stanley Cup champion Phil....and that is scary.

But but but... trade Kessel for a 3C!!! His spot can easily be filled by a college guy in WBS who has never smelled an NHL game...

... at least that is what I heard on the radio so I am going to post it as my own opinion and then cry when someone counters it...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:12 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Mentioned this in the game day thread, but the Reaves-Cluttebuck situation is EXACTLY what I expect Reaves to be doing more of. Clutterbuck starts yapping and hacking Hagelin before the draw, so Reaves switches with Hagelin and gets in his face. I am quite positive that Reaves challenged him to a fight, but of course, Clutterbuck was dishing out stuff he wasn't going to back up because of the stitches he got in his hand earlier in the game.

Reaves didn't need to fight him. Didn't need to draw or take a penalty. Simply go up to the guy, and tell him to knock the **** off. He needs to be doing more of that when these situations arise.

I can't see the photo from my work PC, so forgive me if this is off target (or stating the obvious). And I haven't seen the TV coverage of it to know what was shown, but Reaves absolutely challenged Clutterbuck to fight, even to the point of taking off one of his gloves and subtly waving it at Clutterbuck. They continued to chatter from the bench after the shift, but Clutterbuck didn't seem to do much after that point. I didn't know he had gotten stitches in his hand.

So TK was hit in the face with the puck? From my seats it looked like Reaves had clipped him with an elbow.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 pm

FLPensFan wrote:One other big item is that, while he was never playing bad or "well below" his standard output, Phil Kessel is currently on pace right now to be what many thought he would be when we made the trade. He's on pace for 38 goals and 95 points, both would be career highs for him. Maybe it just took a year or two to really, fully fit into Sully's system, but this year's Phil is 10x more deadly than the 2x Stanley Cup champion Phil....and that is scary.

I chalked it up to there simply not being enough points to go around. They were already the highest scoring team last year and both Sid and Geno were operating at a high level. Both of those guys have been below their usual levels this season and Phil has seamlessly picked up the slack. It doesn't feel like they've done much different except fully embrace running the PP through Phil's side of the ice.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:22 pm

wondermoose wrote:

I chalked it up to there simply not being enough points to go around. They were already the highest scoring team last year and both Sid and Geno were operating at a high level. Both of those guys have been below their usual levels this season and Phil has seamlessly picked up the slack. It doesn't feel like they've done much different except fully embrace running the PP through Phil's side of the ice.

And more movement on the PP. Phil's been both shooting from near the goal line and walking out to the point and then down into the slot, and they're playing off that movement. And his passing success has helped to keep defenders and goalies from cheating too much.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Great58 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Mentioned this in the game day thread, but the Reaves-Cluttebuck situation is EXACTLY what I expect Reaves to be doing more of. Clutterbuck starts yapping and hacking Hagelin before the draw, so Reaves switches with Hagelin and gets in his face. I am quite positive that Reaves challenged him to a fight, but of course, Clutterbuck was dishing out stuff he wasn't going to back up because of the stitches he got in his hand earlier in the game.

I can't see the photo from my work PC, so forgive me if this is off target (or stating the obvious). And I haven't seen the TV coverage of it to know what was shown, but Reaves absolutely challenged Clutterbuck to fight, even to the point of taking off one of his gloves and subtly waving it at Clutterbuck. They continued to chatter from the bench after the shift, but Clutterbuck didn't seem to do much after that point. I didn't know he had gotten stitches in his hand.

So TK was hit in the face with the puck? From my seats it looked like Reaves had clipped him with an elbow.

They said late in the broadcast that it was the puck on Kuhnie, but that could be incorrect.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Great58 wrote:

Technically, neither Reaves nor Clutterbuck saw the ice after that interaction.

Reaves had 6 hits with only 5:36 TOI. The next lowest TOI for the Pens was Kuhnhackl with 9:17. Kessel the highest Pens forward with 19:34.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Great58 wrote:

The photo is a very poor, quick photoshop I did of Reaves head on Negan's (Walking Dead) body with the bat, and the caption "I will shut that **** down!" :)

Clutterbuck got tangled up behind the Penguins net with one of his own players in the 1st period, along with a Penguin, and pretty certain the Islanders player sliced open Clutterbuck's hand. Clutterbuck threw his glove off, and skated to the bench very directly while holding his hand. It didn't seem that big of a cut, think they said 7-12 stitches. But when Reaves got in his face and challenged him, Clutterbuck kind of made this face and kind of motioned in the direction of the Isles bench, almost like saying sorry if you want to fight you are going to have to take on somebody else. I thought it was pretty gutless of Clutterbuck to be hacking and whacking Hagelin before the faceoff full well knowing he couldn't take what he was dishing out because of his hand.

TK was definitely hit with a Reaves arm/elbow. Here is what Reaves said, quoted from DK's site: “I was just backchecking a guy who was on the wall and I didn’t really see Tommy,” Reaves said. “I think he just kind of went to reach for the puck maybe, I just saw him come behind the guy. I tried not to react to it so I didn’t run over him too hard but, unfortunately, I think he was leaning a little too far forward and just caught my arm.”

Crosby also said that the Eberle elbow to his head was not intentional. Said you don't know it at the time until you can watch the replay, said it's just one of those flukey things that happen from time to time that you hope to try and avoid.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Clutterbuck wears an "A", right? His popularity in the dressing room may drop if he keeps offering one of his teammates to scrap with Reaves in his place after he does stupid stuff at the dot.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:17 pm

- The end of the first and the entire second.. we go down 5-1, I could not complain. We were dominated.
- Tristan Jarry needs to keep it up. He's reminding me more and more of the Flower.
- Letang shoot puck. Good. Turn over puck. Bad.
- Kessel. Zzzziiinnnngggggg! Got us right ahead there about halfway through the 3rd. Important goal.
- Sheahan gets the 3-1 right after when Halak messes up. I heard commentary complain how goalies shouldn't be allowed to leave their crease to make things more interesting. Hell no! Let em roam and get waaaay out of position! Hagelin deserves an assist for that one in my view; chased that puck at warp 6. Lovely shot too. Not sure I forgive Sheahan for fumbling the puck in OT.
- Did not like Geno's backchecking during the 3-2. Was in the N-zone trying to go up ice, came back too half-heartedly.
- Facepalmed when Ruhwedel clears his man *instead of the puck!!* for the equaliser.. Come back Schultzie!
- Kessel is just made for 3 on 3 situations. His defence gets better there.
- Hunwick for the GWG in OT. I'll forgive him for not getting back quicker for the Bailey breakaway (on a knee, slow to rise after the shot). He did get the puck from Leddy after Sheahan messed up his shot attempt, leading up to him scoring. Ho-Sang actually helps him angle it past Halak

Did not feel we deserved a win for much of the game. But I thought we deserved a win against Rags. It all evens out eventually. :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Jim wrote:

But but but... trade Kessel for a 3C!!! His spot can easily be filled by a college guy in WBS who has never smelled an NHL game...

... at least that is what I heard on the radio so I am going to post it as my own opinion and then cry when someone counters it...

Good to see you are as much a Kessel fan as I am!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins