Game 32 vs Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 32 vs Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 am

Pens lose 2-1

- Weird game, low scoring but lots of chances for both teams. Both keepers were good or this could have been a much higher scoring game
- McKinnon is finally starting to look like what was expected of him. He was the best player on the ice last night, by a long shot
- Jarry played well in a bounce back game. You cannot fault him for the only goal he gave up... (thankfully the McKinnon one did not count)
- Not banking on him, but Simon looks much improved since his last stint with the Pens. Crafty smart ozone skills, surely he can fit in somewhere
- Pens Powerplay was the reason for the loss. Didn't watch any replays, but it seemed the Pens were not able to adjust to the Avs disruptive up ice pressure
- Reaves was not needed in this game AND he got the call that only tough guys get. So chalk this game as bad one for the Reaves experiment
- I think some guys have to sit. Sheary would be that guy right now, just not getting it done. Look what Simon is bringing, who else we got down in WBS :twisted:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Re: Game 32 vs Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby BurghThing on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 am

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 2-1

- Weird game, low scoring but lots of chances for both teams. Both keepers were good or this could have been a much higher scoring game
- McKinnon is finally starting to look like what was expected of him. He was the best player on the ice last night, by a long shot
- Jarry played well in a bounce back game. You cannot fault him for the only goal he gave up... (thankfully the McKinnon one did not count)
- Not banking on him, but Simon looks much improved since his last stint with the Pens. Crafty smart ozone skills, surely he can fit in somewhere
- Pens Powerplay was the reason for the loss. Didn't watch any replays, but it seemed the Pens were not able to adjust to the Avs disruptive up ice pressure
- Reaves was not needed in this game AND he got the call that only tough guys get. So chalk this game as bad one for the Reaves experiment
- I think some guys have to sit. Sheary would be that guy right now, just not getting it done. Look what Simon is bringing, who else we got down in WBS :twisted:

Spring? Sprang? Something like that...
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 am

BurghThing wrote:

Starts with an S! Let's see. Swim? Swammi? Slippy? Slappy? Swenson? Swanson?
Samsonite! I was way off! I knew it started with an S, though.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 am

Steve Dave wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

Sivek...
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 am

Guys just aren't burying good set-ups like the usually do. I couldn't even count how many missed passes or shots straight into the goalies' gut. Singling out Sheary who at least gets into position I think is a little quick on the trigger.

The Pens had 15 giveaways last night. The Avs had 3. Kessel and Letang had 3 each! Guys were passing into dead space all night including Sid. It was brutal to watch. Shoot the freaking puck instead of backwards passing and we likely tie or win this game.

Pens are in 6th in their division despite playing more games than all the rest of the teams. Will need to wake up soon, no crisis yet.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

Sivek...

Surovy
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cu11en on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 am

BurghThing wrote:

HCMS should at least call him back up before he retires.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am

This team hasn't looked any different for two months now. I get that they want to preach patience and give their guys a chance to come around, but these brief interludes of good play against the likes of the Sabres just won't cut it.

Bryan Rust is not a top-6 forward.

Split up Malkin and Phil. Time to start spreading the offense out a little more.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:47 am

wondermoose wrote:This team hasn't looked any different for two months now. I get that they want to preach patience and give their guys a chance to come around, but these brief interludes of good play against the likes of the Sabres just won't cut it.

Bryan Rust is not a top-6 forward.

Split up Malkin and Phil. Time to start spreading the offense out a little more.

What offense?!
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I do think there has been some improvement since the beginning of the year. We aren't seeing those horrible, lop-sided losses anymore. Even when the Pens lose now, they're carrying play for long stretches and getting lots of shots and quality chances. It's mostly just coming down to dumb mistakes defensively and lack of puck luck.

That said, I'm not sure they have the personnel right now to do better than this. It's almost half way through the season, and Rust is the leading goal scorer among the bottom 6 forwards with 4 goals, and Hunwick is the leading goal scorer among d-men with 3. That's just not enough production from the guys outside the top 6, and I don't think there's real hope that any of the current options are going to drastically improve. So, I think they need to look at options in WBS (I think Simon has shown some promise) and via trade.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 pm

It just seems to be the modis operandi for the Pens. 2 years ago they ride the Sheary and Rust call-ups to get new energy into the line-up and win Cup 1. Last year Guentzel leads the team in playoff goals, pretty much a primary reason they even made it to the cup. This year they went off the rails with dead beat FAs. Sheahan and Reaves ain't Kessel and Hags. They need the youth infusion to inspire the aging vets.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I didn't mean to be too hard on Sheary, but someone has to sit if new blood is to be given the chance. Its frustrating to see Sheary get to where he needs to be (as you said RMT), but the end result is the same.

Who doesn't like to have a list of reasons why your team lost?

There are some games where the opposing goalie is "hot" and simply beats you. I don't think Bernier was that last night.
There are some games where its just even, you need puck luck. Pens did not get that last night (although Geno's pass was a lucky deflection)
There are some games when the teams just have a weird matchup - Don't think this was it either.]
There are some games when the opponents play super well - Avs played pretty decent for a team with so few points.
There are some games when the boys just didn't get 'er done. ---- BINGO. At least for this loss, the guys were just not sharp enough.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

Sivek...

Surovy

Shane Endicott
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 pm

- Good start! We didn't lose in the first 5 minutes. A lot of good it did us. Dominated, only to go down 1-0. Nope, offside. That was an omen of the hockey gods displeasure.
- Net front presence was at an extreme low. Lots of working behind the goal, passes to and through the crease, nobody home.
- Pens did not get to rebound pucks.
- Rust-Sheahan-Kessel needs to happen. Getting sick of Phil and Geno saucer it back and forth.
- Määttä our best allround D when Schultz isn't there? Whowouldathunkit. Yet here we are.
- Jarry wasn't good. Yes, can't blame him for the goal that counted, but bad rebound control for much of 2nd and 3rd. Did get a few more bailouts this time..
- Simon playing another good game. He's alright with Sheahan, but he plays like what Sheary should be with Crosby.

Shake the tree! There is a need to infuse 2-3 more guys into this lineup. Doesn't matter if they're better or slightly worse, so long as they're doing it differently!

Candidates for nacho duty:
- Reaves: Probably won't get a healthy scratch because nobody wants to admit he's not fitting. Sample size is large enough for my taste, Reaves is expendable in most games. What games you do want to play him, he's forward #12 at best.
- Sheary. I would start Simon with Crosby, Sheary's value drops if he goes down the lineup. Also, he does need his recharge time more than most with his frame. Not getting it done right now.
- Hörnqvist. Bless him, I love that man's character and ability to play garbage hockey around the crease. But without Crosby, he might as well be Reaves.
- Kühnhackl. Nothing against TK, but very replaceable at his current play. Probably the most likely candidate for Sullivan.
- Letang. Just list him injured. Or injure him in practice (a role for Reaves). Or have Corrado in his jersey.

Call-up candidates:
- Dea. Guy's on that prospect/no longer prospect bubble. 6G-8A with Wilkes-Barre.
- Haggerty. See what the fuss is about. Went streaky for a bit. 9G-4A.
- DiPaulli. Bit more care with that one, please, don't need to burn him. 8G-4A.
- Corrado. If someone has the gall to scratch Letang.
- <Insert name of the only ever Dutch draft pick and first Dutch NHL player since 1983.>. Crosby can sort him out. Probably not going to be called up before 2031. 12G-7A

SHAKE THAT TREE!
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:-
- Net front presence was at an extreme low. Lots of working behind the goal, passes to and through the crease, nobody home.

Yeah the current business model is bugging me a little - You have Geno, Phil and Rust on the ice but we're dropping it back to Ian Cole to take the unscreened shot from the point.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:- Good start! We didn't lose in the first 5 minutes. A lot of good it did us. Dominated, only to go down 1-0. Nope, offside. That was an omen of the hockey gods displeasure.
- Pens did not get to rebound pucks.
- Rust-Sheahan-Kessel needs to happen. Getting sick of Phil and Geno saucer it back and forth.
- Määttä our best allround D when Schultz isn't there? Whowouldathunkit. Yet here we are.
- Jarry wasn't good. Yes, can't blame him for the goal that counted, but bad rebound control for much of 2nd and 3rd. Did get a few more bailouts this time..
- Simon playing another good game. He's alright with Sheahan, but he plays like what Sheary should be with Crosby.

Shake the tree! There is a need to infuse 2-3 more guys into this lineup. Doesn't matter if they're better or slightly worse, so long as they're doing it differently!

Candidates for nacho duty:
- Reaves: Probably won't get a healthy scratch because nobody wants to admit he's not fitting. Sample size is large enough for my taste, Reaves is expendable in most games. What games you do want to play him, he's forward #12 at best.
- Sheary. I would start Simon with Crosby, Sheary's value drops if he goes down the lineup. Also, he does need his recharge time more than most with his frame. Not getting it done right now.
- Hörnqvist. Bless him, I love that man's character and ability to play garbage hockey around the crease. But without Crosby, he might as well be Reaves.
- Kühnhackl. Nothing against TK, but very replaceable at his current play. Probably the most likely candidate for Sullivan.
- Letang. Just list him injured. Or injure him in practice (a role for Reaves). Or have Corrado in his jersey.

Call-up candidates:
- Dea. Guy's on that prospect/no longer prospect bubble. 6G-8A with Wilkes-Barre.
- Haggerty. See what the fuss is about. Went streaky for a bit. 9G-4A.
- DiPaulli. Bit more care with that one, please, don't need to burn him. 8G-4A.
- Corrado. If someone has the gall to scratch Letang.
- <Insert name of the only ever Dutch draft pick and first Dutch NHL player since 1983.>. Crosby can sort him out. Probably not going to be called up before 2031. 12G-7A

SHAKE THAT TREE!

Jarry was NOT the problem. Their 2nd goal was an empty netter. If the first really wasn't his fault he pitched a shutout. Way to much passing and not enough shooting. And please don't call out 72. The man is a machine. If everyone played with half his juice they'd be atop the standings. Agree with the Letang part though.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:Jarry was NOT the problem. Their 2nd goal was an empty netter. If the first really wasn't his fault he pitched a shutout. Way to much passing and not enough shooting. And please don't call out 72. The man is a machine. If everyone played with half his juice they'd be atop the standings. Agree with the Letang part though.

Not saying he cost us, he clearly didn't. Still don't think he looked good, but goals didn't go in. Bernier at the other end didn't look very good either. Threw around some juicy rebounds. Defence helped their goalies in my eyes. Maybe not looking good is the wrong way to put it. Both goalies got away with considerably more than the scoring would suggest.

Hörnqvist has a lot of character and brings his energy. But he suffers away from Crosby in my eyes. Other centers don't seem to know how to play with him. Got to think about moving some pieces around if you're not trading players right now. Either get him back on Crosby's wing, or he becomes a possibility to rest a few games.

I would normally sooner think of Hagelin in regards of scratching a player just to shake things up. However, the speed at which he chases pucks can be helpful on any line is more helpful right now. Hörnqvist out of his netfront office is not the Stanley Cup Winning Goal Hörnqvist. He doesn't seem to end up there as much as before and he thrives there. I think we're playing the game in a way right now that won't allow us to optimally use Patric, which tends to lead to him being misused/managed I feel.

Kessel being on Malkin's line doesn't help Hörnqvist find a spot either.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Risto on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 am

The Pens are finding ways to lose.
After how many games this season are we hearing the same refrains about unlucky bounces, bad starts, turnovers, ran into a hot goalie...

I understand that the players are human and that, after back-to-back Cups, a December game against Colorado is somewhat boring. But I also don't think they'll be able to flip a switch in April and suddenly break a slew of bad habits that have become ingrained all season.

I think if there aren't some clear strides toward consistency over the next few weeks, it's time for JR to intervene.
Risto

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins