Where is the scoring

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Where is the scoring

Postby Catfishcol87 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:58 am

You got Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel & Hornqvist its time for a big move? Let's go just not playing well
Catfishcol87

Re: Where is the scoring

Postby Jamie on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 am

The bottom 6 This team lost Cullen, Bonino, Daley, Kunitz and Hainsey. They were replaced with Reaves, Sheahan, and Matt Hunwick. That is no where near replacement level. The third and 4th lines this year stink.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 am

We are 29th in even strength scoring. 3rd from last for those that like reverse math. We have Sid, Geno, Phil...it is mind boggling to just let yourself think of this.

There is still a part of me that feels like Sully told them to take half a season off to give themselves enough energy for a playoff run late in the season.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Yeah, roster turnover and 2x cup hangover will do that to you. Honestly I'm impressed that we're around .500
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crashguy66 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Can't score if you don't SHOOT.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 pm

There's enough blame to go around the organization:

Rutherford: Well said by Jamie above....replaced Cullen, Bonino, and Kunitz with Rowney/McKegg, Sheahan, and Reaves. That's a downgrade across the board. Daley out and Hunwick in likely is as well. I really don't have a problem with any of the players leaving, as they either didn't want to return or would have been to expensive, but the level of replacements currently here is nowhere near the level they need to be. The players are tired to some degree, but that is even more reason why you don't continually keep bringing back mostly the same team each year. You need to move players in and out, to keep the team fresh.

Sullivan: Poor usage of Reaves. Get him more ice time. Let him kill penalties. If he still isn't cutting it, then he needs to be a rotational player at best. Archibald sits for weeks...no point of having him here. Too much playing line blender. Topped off this week with putting a strictly RW Hornqvist at LW (and he looks horrible there), a LW/C only Simon on RW, and even Archibald was playing his off-wing. Things are pretty bad when you have to resort to playing guys out of position to try and get this team motivated.

Players: Tiredness only gets you so far. It's an excuse after awhile, and, if they are tired, that's a failure on Rutherford's part to bring in fresher players. Beyond the tiredness, the execution just isn't there most nights. The team looks disinterested, and I've seen maybe 2-3 games where I've seen Sully's system in full effect, and even then it doesn't last a full 60 minutes.

Quite honestly, I think the only untouchables on this team right now are Crosby, Guentzel, Maatta, and Murray. To me, that is the new core of this team. THE TIME HAS COME TO SHIFT THE CORE.

Crosby should be a Penguin for life. Period. Even at 30, he is part of the core.
Guentzel is the best young offensive forward the Penguins have. The Penguins can't trade that away.
Maatta is the best young defenseman the Penguins have. The Penguins should not trade that away, even though Letang may be better overall, Maatta is 7 years younger.
Murray, while still injury prone, is still ahead of Jarry at this point. It is too soon to consider trading Murray and moving to Jarry as the #1.

The 2-4 guys people will question leaving out:
Malkin--> I question whether Malkin is a player that will be a Penguins for life. I think if the Penguins are paying both Crosby and Malkin in their mid-30's, they are going to be the next Anaheim Ducks , paying too much to aging stars. I still consider him part of the core, but, if the right deal came along, I'd have to consider moving him if it meant a comparably skilled player came back at a lesser cap hit, giving the Penguins more roster flexibility. There are probably only a half a dozen players I would think of trading Malkin for.

Letang-->Similar to Malkin, he could only go if the right deal came along.
Kessel-->Again, only if the right deal came along. And if Letang or Malkin were traded, then Kessel would move to the core.
Hornqvist--> Penguins would prefer to have Hornqvist for the playoffs. But if there is no chance to resign him, they may need to consider moving him for the right price.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Lately the most of the scoring can be found on the "opponent" side of the score sheet. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 pm

This team needs to worry a lot more about making the playoffs than it does about having guys like horny for the playoffs at this point.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins