Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

letang

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: letang

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 pm

DelPen wrote:I couldn’t tell where in his 24 minutes he would have got hurt and if he did get hurt why was he still playing that much in a game where he was the Ducks best player?

This hopefully is smoke to not publicly shame him where he is a scratch.

Call me crazy but the team will be better defensively tonight.

Didn't he block a shot with his foot?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
DelPen wrote:I couldn’t tell where in his 24 minutes he would have got hurt and if he did get hurt why was he still playing that much in a game where he was the Ducks best player?

Early in the game though, right? Why was he still eating minutes if there was any thought he might be hurt and was the worst player on the ice?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:04 pm

DelPen wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Early in the game though, right? Why was he still eating minutes if there was any thought he might be hurt and was the worst player on the ice?

Thought that was Kühnhackl.

Regardless.. our D gets an upgrade
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:12 pm

DelPen wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Probably didn't swell until he took his boot off.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Here's another question......if Letang is out day-to-day, why has nobody been recalled? With Cole slotting back in, the Penguins only have 6 healthy d-men. Schultz is skating but still wearing a no contact jersey as of today. A guy gets sick (which has been going around), or takes a shot or pulls something in a warmup, and they have to go with 5 defensemen?

Seems a bit fishy.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:48 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Here's another question......if Letang is out day-to-day, why has nobody been recalled? With Cole slotting back in, the Penguins only have 6 healthy d-men. Schultz is skating but still wearing a no contact jersey as of today. A guy gets sick (which has been going around), or takes a shot or pulls something in a warmup, and they have to go with 5 defensemen?

Seems a bit fishy.

This
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Here's another question......if Letang is out day-to-day, why has nobody been recalled? With Cole slotting back in, the Penguins only have 6 healthy d-men. Schultz is skating but still wearing a no contact jersey as of today. A guy gets sick (which has been going around), or takes a shot or pulls something in a warmup, and they have to go with 5 defensemen?

Seems a bit fishy.

Good question. Schultz is on IR, so our roster has 22 players until medical staff clears him.

Would make sense to call a D up from the minors, Corrado, Trotman, Czuczman, anybody that might fill some minutes if we go down another D.

That is... unless Letang can actually play tonight and staff don't want him to. :roll:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

Seems a bit fishy.

Good question. Schultz is on IR, so our roster has 22 players until medical staff clears him.

Would make sense to call a D up from the minors, Corrado, Trotman, Czuczman, anybody that might fill some minutes if we go down another D.

That is... unless Letang can actually play tonight and staff don't want him to. :roll:

I tend to believe that he is "getting the night off"
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Dumoulin may argue that they have been playing with five defensemen anyway
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:

Seems a bit fishy.

Or I answered the question myself......roster freeze. Not sure if there is an emergency procedure, otherwise, they can't recall anyone until midnight tonight.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Dumoulin may argue that they have been playing with five defensemen anyway

And opponents persistently get away with way too many men on the ice. Creating 6 on 4 situations while Letang was on ice. :(
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bardowncelly on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:56 pm

NHL CBA 16.5(d)(i)

(d) Holiday Roster Freeze.

(i) For all Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve, or Players with Non-Roster and Injured Non-Roster status as of 11:59 p.m. local time on December 19, a roster freeze shall apply through 12:01 a.m. local time December 28, with respect to Waivers, Trades and Loans; provided, however, that Players may be Recalled to NHL Clubs during this period and, provided further, that if a Player is placed on Regular Waivers
Bardowncelly

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Matt Gajtka of DK Sports said in his talks with an industry source, Letang is most definitely being shopped:

As has been reported in Canada over the past few days, the Penguins have been engaged in trade discussions regarding Kris Letang.

I’ve been told by an industry source that Letang is “definitely” available for interested teams to pursue, confirming what Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos have stated on recent Sportsnet broadcasts. The NHL’s weeklong holiday trade freeze expired at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:13 pm

C'mon Jim...nail this!
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm

The fact that he didn't play last night pretty much confirms it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Matt Gajtka of DK Sports said in his talks with an industry source, Letang is most definitely being shopped:

As has been reported in Canada over the past few days, the Penguins have been engaged in trade discussions regarding Kris Letang.

I’ve been told by an industry source that Letang is “definitely” available for interested teams to pursue, confirming what Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos have stated on recent Sportsnet broadcasts. The NHL’s weeklong holiday trade freeze expired at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

Being engaged in trade discussions is a long putt from being able to put together a deal that works for the Pens long term both from a talent and cap perspective.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:39 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Matt Gajtka of DK Sports said in his talks with an industry source, Letang is most definitely being shopped:

Being engaged in trade discussions is a long putt from being able to put together a deal that works for the Pens long term both from a talent and cap perspective.

I just keep coming back to Buffalo. A team that has a lot of cap space and is not playoff bound this year, Buffalo makes a TON of sense. Much easier for a non-playoff team with cap space to give up pieces of their roster, knowing it won't affect their playoff run this year....because they don't have a playoffs this year.

Letang and Sheary for Kane, Reinhart, and Ristolainen makes a lot of sense for both sides to me as well (might need a pick going one way or the other):

---Buffalo has a really young defense with Ristolainen, McCabe, Antipin, and Beaulieu. Ristolainen has a been a bit up and down for them. He's been in some trade rumors over the past year or so. He has the ability to be a #1 or #2 guy, but he isn't there yet. Getting Letang gives them a true #1. Getting Ristolainen gives Penguins some cap relief (in terms of Letang for Ristolainen), let's them play Risto on a 2nd pairing, and grow a little more into the position. More defense by committee by the Penguins, which they seem to do better with lately.
---Reinhart has been in rumors for awhile. He's a center who can play wing. Eichel and O'Reilly are entrenched as the 1 and 2 centers. Girgensons, Larsson, Rodrigues are all other 3C options for Buffalo. Reinhart has been all over the lineup, repeatedly both on the 1st and 4th lines.
---Sheary gives Buffalo a cheaper LW option with term. He has 20 goal ability, and has speed. Kane gives the Penguins both speed and size.
---All 3 players from Buffalo have size, without the cost of giving up speed. This is something this Penguins team desperately needs. Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Sprong.....they all have speed, but they are all under 6 feet. Need some bigger bodies in the lineup.

Flip Cole for either a 2nd, or move Cole and Haglein to someone like Arizona for Duclair (ville5 idea) and a 3rd, assuming Cole can sign an extension.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:58 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I just keep coming back to Buffalo. A team that has a lot of cap space and is not playoff bound this year, Buffalo makes a TON of sense. Much easier for a non-playoff team with cap space to give up pieces of their roster, knowing it won't affect their playoff run this year....because they don't have a playoffs this year.

Letang and Sheary for Kane, Reinhart, and Ristolainen makes a lot of sense for both sides to me as well (might need a pick going one way or the other):

---Buffalo has a really young defense with Ristolainen, McCabe, Antipin, and Beaulieu. Ristolainen has a been a bit up and down for them. He's been in some trade rumors over the past year or so. He has the ability to be a #1 or #2 guy, but he isn't there yet. Getting Letang gives them a true #1. Getting Ristolainen gives Penguins some cap relief (in terms of Letang for Ristolainen), let's them play Risto on a 2nd pairing, and grow a little more into the position. More defense by committee by the Penguins, which they seem to do better with lately.
---Reinhart has been in rumors for awhile. He's a center who can play wing. Eichel and O'Reilly are entrenched as the 1 and 2 centers. Girgensons, Larsson, Rodrigues are all other 3C options for Buffalo. Reinhart has been all over the lineup, repeatedly both on the 1st and 4th lines.
---Sheary gives Buffalo a cheaper LW option with term. He has 20 goal ability, and has speed. Kane gives the Penguins both speed and size.
---All 3 players from Buffalo have size, without the cost of giving up speed. This is something this Penguins team desperately needs. Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Sprong.....they all have speed, but they are all under 6 feet. Need some bigger bodies in the lineup.

Flip Cole for either a 2nd, or move Cole and Haglein to someone like Arizona for Duclair (ville5 idea) and a 3rd, assuming Cole can sign an extension.

Well Kane is most likely a rental, so now you are down to Reinhart and Ristolainen for Letang and Sheary at the end of this season. From the Penguins perspective you have to ask the question what is the ceiling of Reinhart? He's not having a good year so far, but maybe that improves playing with better players. From the Sabres perspective you are getting a soon to be 31 year old Letang, and while his ceiling is better than Ristolainen, does he really make the Sabres better next year at a higher cap hit? Then you have the Botherill dynamics and who knows how that plays into this kind of move. Finally this might be mute if Letang doesn't have Buffalo on his list of teams that he will agree to be traded to.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:C'mon Jim...nail this!

I always nail it, but people don't like me so they ignore what I actually say. :pop:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Jim wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:C'mon Jim...nail this!

I always nail it, but people don't like me so they ignore what I actually say. :pop:

Ok..I laughed. I admit it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TBS58 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm

No brassard on the ice at sens practice.
TBS58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm probably in the minority but MM and folks on pensburgh see Letang's play this season as an aberration vs. the new norm for him. It's quite a gamble to think that a guy who will be turning 31 in April with all his health issues still has his best hockey ahead of him. I hope for the teams sake GMJR doesn't look at his value now vs. what it was in his prime and squabble. If the Pens can move a soon to be 31 yr old Letang who has 4 more years on his contract beyond this year for reasonable return you do it. The odds are greater that he continues to regress vs regain his form.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:39 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm probably in the minority but MM and folks on pensburgh see Letang's play this season as an aberration vs. the new norm for him. It's quite a gamble to think that a guy who will be turning 31 in April with all his health issues still has his best hockey ahead of him. I hope for the teams sake GMJR doesn't look at his value now vs. what it was in his prime and squabble. If the Pens can move a soon to be 31 yr old Letang who has 4 more years on his contract beyond this year for reasonable return you do it. The odds are greater that he continues to regress vs regain his form.

I completely think it's the new norm. It would be amazing to find a GM out there ready to take on a 7mil+ contract for the next 4 yrs and give up much value in return. Right now, Letang has one of the worst contracts in the NHL relative to performance and expectation of future results. The guy is damaged goods health-wise and isn't going to miraculously do a 180 with his career.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 pm

If Letang is such an incredible and valuable asset like all the experts are supposedly making him out to be, the I hope he fetches a superb return. They have can him.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

I kind of feel the same way about Letang that I did with Fleury. Letang has proven that he is a #1 d-man. He can play big minutes, be out there in all situations, and put up at least 40-50 points/year, and that's not that easy to come by in a player. However, he also makes infuriating mistakes on a regular basis.

So, I'm simultaneously hesitant to get rid of him and excited about the possibility of doing so.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins