What happened?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What happened?

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 pm

2400 users (members) on LGP. I counted 12 users on the forum during the first period of tonight's game. There were 41 guests on the forum at the same time. A distinct lack of participation.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ejd43 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Humperdink wrote:2400 users (members) on LGP. I counted 12 users on the forum during the first period of tonight's game. There were 41 guests on the forum at the same time. A distinct lack of participation.

I’d like to think I have a valid excuse.... my wife has me painting our living room.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 am

We have talked about this here before I think, and many complain that we inly really have one thread that people write in, very few gets more than a few replys, then everyone always still talk about it in "the big thread" and you don't say the same thing in two different threads. And if you look in the other parts, NPR and Affiliates, most treads have like 2-5 replays at most. I wrote one about Canadian hockey in NPR, it have 110+ views but 2 replays, it doesn't exactly inspire you to start more, you just go back to "The thread".

Also, sometimes when someone starts a thread, you get the reply "this is already being discussed in "the thread"... quite boring.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 am

Humperdink wrote:2400 users (members) on LGP. I counted 12 users on the forum during the first period of tonight's game. There were 41 guests on the forum at the same time. A distinct lack of participation.

I was here all game but didnt post until after the 2nd so as noy to upset the juju. I was sorely tempted but that Carolina game was not a fond memory.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 am

I usually came to this board to get more information about the pens and everything related to them. I miss that. The one mega uber thread makes me miss out a lot.
For example, how many players did the pens have at the world juniors? We always talked about them and how they where doing.
I just know Swedish goalie Filip Gustavsson is a pens prospect and was selected as the best goalie in the tournament. It's a shame we didn't talk about it (or maybe we did in the super thread :) ). Did we have any other prospects there?
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 am

Like many boards eventually a few a-holes run off all the regulars. I joined in the '90's (I used to post as Badger-Bob). I still check the board daily for news and out of habit but rarely post anymore. It's changed quite a bit since I joined.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 am

ShaPe wrote:I usually came to this board to get more information about the pens and everything related to them. I miss that. The one mega uber thread makes me miss out a lot.
For example, how many players did the pens have at the world juniors? We always talked about them and how they where doing.
I just know Swedish goalie Filip Gustavsson is a pens prospect and was selected as the best goalie in the tournament. It's a shame we didn't talk about it (or maybe we did in the super thread :) ). Did we have any other prospects there?

Actually I started a thread about him, but got 2 short replays there ...
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:53 am

It was too darn cold to post last week! :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am

We had quite a few posters come and go, must admit I do miss the volume of posters but lately even though there is less, I find the board still nice to visit and talk hockey. More than once I had poster disagree with me but we all ways seem to disagree in a respectful manner.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ejd43 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:37 am

no name wrote:We had quite a few posters come and go, must admit I do miss the volume of posters but lately even though there is less, I find the board still nice to visit and talk hockey. More than once I had poster disagree with me but we all ways seem to disagree in a respectful manner.

I wonder how many people read or posted back when the user “kick save” was around?? Or Kenny Melvin
Last edited by ejd43 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 am

In my opinion, it was a bunch of factors (most already brought up):

--The creation of the other board split LGP in two, essentially, and if you added up the threads/posts from the two, you'd get close to the number of each from before. I've kind of gravitated towards posting more (albeit still infrequently) here, because I feel like the hockey discussion is a bit better here. The other board seems to boil down to one or two people giving their substantive takes, and a bunch of others throwing around snarky one-liners, which can be fun, but only in moderation.

--I've also formed a group text with friends, and we text back and forth during games, when there are trade rumors, etc. That's taken the place of some message board posting.

--There is a tendency on most message boards, it seems, to have this black and white, defend your position at all costs mentality that gets old. This doesn't tend to crop up when you're texting with friends.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am

I think another reason is more/other places to post. Yes, there is the other board, but there are also DKSportsPittsburgh and The Athletic.

It would be cool to build up this community again.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 am

largegarlic wrote:In my opinion, it was a bunch of factors (most already brought up):

--The creation of the other board split LGP in two, essentially, and if you added up the threads/posts from the two, you'd get close to the number of each from before. I've kind of gravitated towards posting more (albeit still infrequently) here, because I feel like the hockey discussion is a bit better here. The other board seems to boil down to one or two people giving their substantive takes, and a bunch of others throwing around snarky one-liners, which can be fun, but only in moderation.

--I've also formed a group text with friends, and we text back and forth during games, when there are trade rumors, etc. That's taken the place of some message board posting.

--There is a tendency on most message boards, it seems, to have this black and white, defend your position at all costs mentality that gets old. This doesn't tend to crop up when you're texting with friends.

I found the other board to be dead most times. I'd lurk and would not see ANYBODY post anything for days at a time. Been quite awhile since I posted there, but it does seem a bit more "clique-ish" and the inside jokes/comments get old. Biggest loss was mikey, who was always very knowledgeable, but I think Chirpin' Grinder and Hugo drove them away, among with other things.

I would also add that Twitter probably has accounted for some of the loss. 10 years ago, this was THE place to get Penguins news. You didn't have Twitter as a resource to find all this other information. You had message boards like this, and then HockeysFuture for all teams. Now there are just so many different mediums out there to get the information.

I was a lurker and infrequent poster for quite a long time before I became much more active in the past couple of years. It's good to see a lot of the same people still here, even if not posting as much, and its good to see a lot of the new posters coming in.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 am

Penspal wrote:I think another reason is more/other places to post. Yes, there is the other board, but there are also DKSportsPittsburgh and The Athletic.

It would be cool to build up this community again.

:thumb:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am

FLPensFan wrote:I would also add that Twitter probably has accounted for some of the loss. 10 years ago, this was THE place to get Penguins news. You didn't have Twitter as a resource to find all this other information. You had message boards like this, and then HockeysFuture for all teams. Now there are just so many different mediums out there to get the information.

That's a big one for me, personally. I've made it a point to try and re-engage with the Stewie Griffin Postgame stuff, and while that does get me back here more often, I still don't post as much. I think part of it is the big mega-thread, which is kind of ironic. I remember having issues with people creating duplicate threads for the same topic; now it's done a complete 180! :scared:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

netwolf wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I would also add that Twitter probably has accounted for some of the loss. 10 years ago, this was THE place to get Penguins news. You didn't have Twitter as a resource to find all this other information. You had message boards like this, and then HockeysFuture for all teams. Now there are just so many different mediums out there to get the information.

That's a big one for me, personally. I've made it a point to try and re-engage with the Stewie Griffin Postgame stuff, and while that does get me back here more often, I still don't post as much. I think part of it is the big mega-thread, which is kind of ironic. I remember having issues with people creating duplicate threads for the same topic; now it's done a complete 180! :scared:

Maybe we should try closing the mega-thread again. I know dagny closed down the one that was started over a year or two ago that had reached 600 pages, I think. See if that helps generate some more posts and less lurking.

I think the mega thread can be a bit intimidating, too hard to keep up with 300 pages of thread history, and has wild topic swings (guilty party here) from the original post.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:58 am

FLPensFan wrote:
netwolf wrote:

Maybe we should try closing the mega-thread again. I know dagny closed down the one that was started over a year or two ago that had reached 600 pages, I think. See if that helps generate some more posts and less lurking.

I think the mega thread can be a bit intimidating, too hard to keep up with 300 pages of thread history, and has wild topic swings (guilty party here) from the original post.

Yea, I think closing it is a good start, then, if we want to go a step further, maybe have one thread per player, one for trades, and then the GDTs ... maybe also close the NPR and Affiliate sections, since then we can have more live threads here, and that could open things up!

And, also, I think some got a bit intimidated back then, when they started a thread and got the "I have already started a thread about this" quote.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:04 pm

largegarlic wrote:In my opinion, it was a bunch of factors (most already brought up):

I'm not going anywhere. I've been here since the beginning! What was it the igloo report at some time a billion years ago?

I honestly didn't know there was another board. I know there's the silly HF boards. What's this other board called?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 pm

I've also been here a long time, even under a different name way back before the look of the board changed. I remember loving it when we switched to this type of message board as opposed to that old thread style one that was used before. I know I've ruffled feathers in the past and honestly mean no harm, but I'll take this place over 5AF any day of the week. I actually started reading some comments on Facebook last night. Talk about face palm city. I'm glad I have this place.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:53 pm

pekkasteele wrote:
ShaPe wrote:I usually came to this board to get more information about the pens and everything related to them. I miss that. The one mega uber thread makes me miss out a lot.

It is possible that people just don't know enough or haven't seen enough to have a strong enough opinion to post. While a topic might be worthy of conversation, it doesn't mean that people have anything that they can actually say about it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 pm

The other board is basically 80% NHR, much less NPR. The running totals are skewed due to the Cup wins, but week-to-week it is much lighter on Pens talk than here.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm

I've voiced this opinion on several occasions and will again: the big thread needs to go. It's essentially a message board in and of itself, but without the ability to separate topics. It makes absolutely no sense and is a major detractor for someone who misses a few days. Message boards are meant to have topic-specific threads, not catch-all/discuss-all threads that usurp all else. It's played a role in me posting less frequently than I have in the past, and I'm sure it's turned away many people, as well.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Jim wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

It is possible that people just don't know enough or haven't seen enough to have a strong enough opinion to post. While a topic might be worthy of conversation, it doesn't mean that people have anything that they can actually say about it.

While I understand what you are saying, I have a different philosophy. If someone takes the time to read an article and post it, I will try to make a comment on it. I don't always do that, but lately that's what I have been trying to do. Especially when no one has commented. It may be as sample as: "thanks for sharing".
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm

"thanks for sharing" <- I might have to start using that...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Jim wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

no sh*t Sherlock, I know that, just mentioned that I started the thread, did not blame anyone for not have the answer to the question in it.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins