Thoughts on Murray

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Thoughts on Murray

Postby Skatingpen on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:17 pm

So I don’t mean this as a bash Murray post or anything of the sort. Just curious of your thoughts regarding Murray. Yes he won 2 cups and it can be argued with real merit that Fleury could have as well with the way this team played the last 2 years. With Murray having injury issues every year and when healthy he has struggled this year is there any concern that the Pens made a mistake signing him and moving on from Fleury? Now that Jarry is starting back to back games even though Murray is healthy, what does that mean? I don’t really have an opinion but I do feel that Murray has not lived up to the hype this year for sure, but then again no one has this year. Thanks!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Thoughts on Murray

Postby Humperdink on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm

The jury is out on Murray's fragility. With Jarry appearing to be at the ready, another year or so of Murray missing significant time will lead to his departure. So might Penguin needs elsewhere. A few variables there.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:22 pm

I have concerns over Murray’s inability to stay healthy. That said I agreed with the move to expose Fleury and keep Murray, and I always will.

It was the right decision.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Murray's health is a serious question mark. However, that is not really something that you can project. You can look at skill and athletic ability and project where a player will end up... but it is very difficult to project ease to injure. That is more a hindsight thing to a level.

Letting Fleury go was nearly a necessity due to the contracts/cap side and age.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 pm

KG wrote:I have concerns over Murray’s inability to stay healthy. That said I agreed with the move to expose Fleury and keep Murray, and I always will.

Exactly, sadly some people can't come to grips with that. However, Murray does need to be better this season.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:08 pm

I may be a lunatic, been told that before, but I just don't feel confident in a win when Murray's been in there this year. I'm also of the opinion that he doesn't get the Pens past Columbus let alone Washington last year. I have no statistics to back that up just a feeling from watching hockey for 40 years. In 2016 the D was playing ridiculous in front of him. Many games with less than 25 shots allowed. Another thing that got me thinking about this was watching the Greatest 100 plays of the post season on NHL Network. Murray was in there 2 or 3 times. Now it can be argued he's absent from the highlight reel because he's technically and positionally sound and rarely has to make the ridiculous save. For whatever reason I, personally, just feel "better" when Jarry is in this year.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:55 pm

1. Moving Fleury over Murray was 1000% the correct decision. You don't keep the 33 goalie with maybe 2-3 peak years left, and trade the 22 year old goalie who has a good 10-12 years of high level play ahead of him. Both had starters mentality and cap hit. Keeping both wasn't an option that would have worked out.

2. I have concerns over Murray's health, as done anyone else. He also doesn't seem to have that confidence and swagger that he has had the last two years, especially when it comes to supposed ice in the veins and just shrugging off goals against.

3. Nobody should rush to judgement after 1 average season by Murray. He doesn't suck forever, and shouldn't be traded immediately because of his play this season. The guy won 2 cups at a very young age. We all know the numbers he is capable. Even the superstars like Crosby and Ovechkin have bad seasons. He may never fully rebound this season. That doesn't mean he can't play well enough this season. It becomes more of an issue is the durability is still a concern next year, and his average play continues into next season.

4. In the summer of 2019, I think the Penguins will be forced to make a decision on who they want to be their starter and who they can trade for assets. Both of these guys have the ability to starting goalies in the NHL. If the Penguins are riding Murray, Jarry isn't going to want to waste some of his NHL years stuck as a backup when he feels he has the ability to be a starter. I look at somebody like Phillip Grubauer, who has had great numbers as a backup to Holtby.....but has never been given an opportunity to start. He is 26 years old, but if he stays with Washington, he is going to spend his whole career stuck behind Holtby. Was a big reason I thought Vegas would take him. I see Jarry in that same boat. He keeps playing solid for the Penguins, he'll have the record and experience to backup the claim he deserves to start, here or someone else.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:00 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
KG wrote:I have concerns over Murray’s inability to stay healthy. That said I agreed with the move to expose Fleury and keep Murray, and I always will.

Exactly, sadly some people can't come to grips with that. However, Murray does need to be better this season.

I agree with this and MAF is probably my favorite Pen of all-time.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 pm

You guys remember when MAF looked ugly in games the past few years? Or when he didn't keep us in games long enough to get something going? Murray will slump on occasion too. He's not going to bail us everytime.

I've gone to bat to defend Flower in the past. Loved the guy, but the situation pretty much demanded he went. Still got Murray, who's a heck of a goalie. Don't give me that rubbish about having won stanley cups, it's brought up too often with regards to goalies. He's just a fine goaltender, playoff team calibre.

Fun thing when this guy slumps.. we have Jarry. He's making us forget all about the Niemi experiment. Flexible guy that reminds you of Fleury now and then. Can he compete for a starter spot in Pittsburgh? Not seen evidence to the contrary yet. If he does, same thing happens when we had Fleury-Murray. Gotta choose and deal. That's what you love

No idea yet what we might have in Gustavsson. DeSmith's a no-go for anything beyond NHL backup goalie, should not get any starts (or you might as well re-hire Niemi).

Behind Murray and Jarry, depth is thing as a sheet of paper. Need a third goaltender, not an immediate need.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:You guys remember when MAF looked ugly in games the past few years? Or when he didn't keep us in games long enough to get something going? Murray will slump on occasion too. He's not going to bail us everytime.

I've gone to bat to defend Flower in the past. Loved the guy, but the situation pretty much demanded he went. Still got Murray, who's a heck of a goalie. Don't give me that rubbish about having won stanley cups, it's brought up too often with regards to goalies. He's just a fine goaltender, playoff team calibre.

Fun thing when this guy slumps.. we have Jarry. He's making us forget all about the Niemi experiment. Flexible guy that reminds you of Fleury now and then. Can he compete for a starter spot in Pittsburgh? Not seen evidence to the contrary yet. If he does, same thing happens when we had Fleury-Murray. Gotta choose and deal. That's what you love

No idea yet what we might have in Gustavsson. DeSmith's a no-go for anything beyond NHL backup goalie, should not get any starts (or you might as well re-hire Niemi).

Behind Murray and Jarry, depth is thing as a sheet of paper. Need a third goaltender, not an immediate need.

Good post. Gustavsson looked good at the WJC, being selected goaltender of the tournament, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket after a 2 week tournament.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins