Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Poke Bruins 6-5 OT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Poke Bruins 6-5 OT

Postby netwolf on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Bruins, a 6-5 OT win

Something good: Big time stick-to-it-tive-ness out of this team tonight. Gave up the first one, but surged back to a 3-1 lead. Blew that, got down 5-3, but roared back to tie it up and pull out the win in overtime. They go into their bye week in the second wildcard spot. That will likely change by the time they lace 'em up again, but the outlook isn't quite as bleak as it once was.

Where they need improvement: He was largely unlucky, but Jarry wasn't as sharp as he's been recently. He made himself very small on Pastrnak's goal, which I'm sure he'll want back. On the Backes' goal, he was victimized by friendly fire deflection from Hunwick, but it seemed like he was a little out of position too. He'll be better next time though, I'm sure.

Something good: Great to see the stars performing like stars. Malkin (2+1), Crosby (3 primary assists), Kessel and Letang (1+1 each) all had multi-point games. Murray only had to make 6 saves in relief, but that penalty shot stop on March and gets him into this category too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Poke Bruins 6-5 OT

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 am

Something good: Pens never gave up when they were down by two (2). Leaving Geno open in the slot at the end of the 2nd was inexplicable. The turning point for our comeback.

Something not so good: Roller coaster goal tending. Both of them. Not sure what to expect.

Something terrific: The Pens power play, the Pens in OT (men among boys), Murray stopping a breakaway with 61 seconds left in regulation - against the B's best sniper, no less.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins