2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 am

I don't want this to become a mega thread, but thought this might be a good place to post some general rumors, and how they could affect the Penguins.

Below are from TSN:
---Toronto is mentioned as not wanting to add a rental defenseman (see Ian Cole), and also really can't add a defenseman with term. They are likely to stay pat on defense and wait for Zaitsev to return.
---Edmonton is not ready to make a move yet. Chiarelli plans on waiting till their break next week to determine whether he is going to be a seller and a buyer.
---Ottawa has Hoffman, Smith, and Pageau drawing interest around the league. Oduya likely to be moved as a rental. Brassard is not going to be dealt.
---Vancouver is getting a lot of interest in Erik Gudbranson as a playoff rental (I had seen something yesterday as a Penguin possibility). Ben Hutton is also said to be available.
---Flames are looking for forward help, and will have a roster spot when they release Jagr.
---SJ also looking to add a forward.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm surprised everyone passed on Franson.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:13 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm surprised everyone passed on Franson.

It seems crazy that we have Hunwick for three years at 2.25 a season and Franson goes without a contract and gets passed up by teams for only 1 million. He's been playing a top pairing role in Chicago and is a crazy 59.9 CF% on the season to lead the Blackhawks. Sure he's been sheltered a bit, but so was Schultz his first go round here and it worked out okay. For those that think plus minus is an informative stat, he's only a -1 on the season. He's always been a poor skater but it's not affecting him too much if the ice is tilted that much in the Hawks favor when he's on the ice. He's obviously not a top pairing guy, but he's definitely fine in a 5/6 role and there's a ton of teams that could benefit from him. I'll be talking to his family soon and curious to hear what he's been told.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Owchar76 wrote:

It seems crazy that we have Hunwick for three years at 2.25 a season and Franson goes without a contract and gets passed up by teams for only 1 million. He's been playing a top pairing role in Chicago and is a crazy 59.9 CF% on the season to lead the Blackhawks. Sure he's been sheltered a bit, but so was Schultz his first go round here and it worked out okay. For those that think plus minus is an informative stat, he's only a -1 on the season. He's always been a poor skater but it's not affecting him too much if the ice is tilted that much in the Hawks favor when he's on the ice. He's obviously not a top pairing guy, but he's definitely fine in a 5/6 role and there's a ton of teams that could benefit from him. I'll be talking to his family soon and curious to hear what he's been told.

Please share anything you find out. He's certainly better than many 6-7s, even if the effort isn't there on a nightly basis. Which is what I've read on him.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Owchar76 wrote:

He is last in 5v5 TOI/GP and 6th overall TOI/GP. Not top paring by any means.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Owchar76 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Jim wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:

As I said, he's obviously not a top pairing guy.....

However, he's played most of his hockey paired with Keith this year. So, as I said, he's been playing a top pairing role in Chicago.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Reported cost for Evander Kane is a 1st round pick, a prospect, and possibly a conditional pick, with the condition being whether or not the team he is traded to is able to resign him.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby opie22002 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Reported cost for Evander Kane is a 1st round pick, a prospect, and possibly a conditional pick, with the condition being whether or not the team he is traded to is able to resign him.

That sounds doable to me so long as the prospect is not Sprong, Jarry, or Gustafson. The picks don’t concern me too much. The Sabres would have to eat most of the salary too
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:15 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:

However, he's played most of his hockey paired with Keith this year. So, as I said, he's been playing a top pairing role in Chicago.

Ah, so top paring role means the least icetime of the defense... got it... good to know.

Hey everyone, I didn't know this so I wanted to make sure to point it out. Apparently the Penguins "top paring role" D are Ruhwedel and Cole. Also, apparently, if Crosby double shifts with the 4th line... Reaves and Kuhnhackl are actually top line winger role. 'Cause, you know, obviously. Who knew?

So, ah.... right. Okay. All right. Important tip. Thanks, Egon. (Ghostbuster's line)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 am

and here we go....
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 am

Don't think he's a good 3C fit for us, but he's good for 20 goals and 40 points. Brock Nelson supposedly available.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 am

Does anyone have a list of rental 3C options? I mentioned Filppula as an option, who else is out there?

I just don't see the Pens offering up the pieces necessary to get a legit 3C with term. I'm all for patching the hole for this season so they can try again this coming off-season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:17 am

opie22002 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Reported cost for Evander Kane is a 1st round pick, a prospect, and possibly a conditional pick, with the condition being whether or not the team he is traded to is able to resign him.

That sounds doable to me so long as the prospect is not Sprong, Jarry, or Gustafson. The picks don’t concern me too much. The Sabres would have to eat most of the salary too

If the Penguins were a lock for the playoffs and they identify Kane as the piece that can get them to the finals then sure give up a first round pick. The reality is this team will be hard pressed to make it to the playoffs based on their play so far, so I wouldn't make such a trade. If they are that enamored with Kane they can get him as a UFA after the season and give up zero assets in the process.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:21 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Does anyone have a list of rental 3C options? I mentioned Filppula as an option, who else is out there?

I just don't see the Pens offering up the pieces necessary to get a legit 3C with term. I'm all for patching the hole for this season so they can try again this coming off-season.

If you are talking only rentals:

Filppula, Plekanec, Bozak, Backlund, Letestu, Vermette, Derek Ryan......there are some others, but they are either guys like not to be given up or given up to us (Statsny, Desharnais, Eller, Tavares) or more 4th line centers.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am

ville5 wrote:Don't think he's a good 3C fit for us, but he's good for 20 goals and 40 points. Brock Nelson supposedly available.

I think he would be a great fit. The problem is, Penguins and Islanders are battling for a playoff spot, so I think it is very unlikely the Pens and Isles would trade with each other. Isles do need defense though with de Haan and Boychuck injured.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:50 am

FLPensFan wrote:
ville5 wrote:Don't think he's a good 3C fit for us, but he's good for 20 goals and 40 points. Brock Nelson supposedly available.

I think he would be a great fit. The problem is, Penguins and Islanders are battling for a playoff spot, so I think it is very unlikely the Pens and Isles would trade with each other. Isles do need defense though with de Haan and Boychuck injured.

Offensively speaking he'd be a great fit. But he's horrible on the dot. And I haven't checked, but I've read he's a very streaky scorer. Would Sully overlook that? They have a couple injuries to top four D and would be looking for that in return from what I understand. They could probably get better offers elsewhere. Who knows with Snow though lol. Maybe a resigned Cole and a Sheary could get it done.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Offensively speaking he'd be a great fit. But he's horrible on the dot. And I haven't checked, but I've read he's a very streaky scorer. Would Sully overlook that? They have a couple injuries to top four D and would be looking for that in return from what I understand. They could probably get better offers elsewhere. Who knows with Snow though lol. Maybe a resigned Cole and a Sheary could get it done.

We have Sheahan and Crosby for faceoffs. Nelson isn't good, but he's not awful. He's never finished a season above 50%, but he is currently at a career high 48.2%. Malkin has never been over 50% in his career either. Malkin had a 3 year run where he was in the 47-48% range, but he is usually well below 45%. Malkin currently is at 43.6%. That gives some perspective on Nelson in terms of faceoffs.

Cole (resigned) and a 3rd/4th for Nelson
Sheary and Cole (no-resign) for Nelson
Sheary and Cole (resigned) for Nelson and a 3rd

I thought Nelson was a little younger, since I remember him coming into the league, but he is 26. If he was in the 22-24 age range, then maybe the price would be higher. But, I don't see it happening anyways.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Does anyone have a list of rental 3C options? I mentioned Filppula as an option, who else is out there?

Quick and dirty way to get lists of FAs. Sortable by position (but we know that listed position is not always "right") and also by stats, $, etc.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am

Jim wrote:

Quick and dirty way to get lists of FAs. Sortable by position (but we know that listed position is not always "right") and also by stats, $, etc.

Hey, hey....don't be giving away my secrets! LOL
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Jim wrote:

Hey, hey....don't be giving away my secrets! LOL

Most people here will still get it wrong anyway... but ya gotta try.

Knowing is half the battle!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am

FLPensFan wrote:

Filppula

Philly won't trade with us, right? We had to use Tampa just to pick up Strait (which is how Filppula got to Philly).
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:

Filppula, Plekanec, Bozak, Backlund, Letestu, Vermette, Derek Ryan......there are some others, but they are either guys like not to be given up or given up to us (Statsny, Desharnais, Eller, Tavares) or more 4th line centers.

So really it's too early to tell unless you make a play for Filppula or Letestu. Teams are just way too bunched together in the standing for sellers to emerge.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am

Great58 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Filppula

Philly won't trade with us, right? We had to use Tampa just to pick up Strait (which is how Filppula got to Philly).

Doubtful. Main reason is we are in same division, and they are fighting with a spot with us head to head.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Great58 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Filppula

Doubtful. Main reason is we are in same division, and they are fighting with a spot with us head to head.

Yeah, last year it was just out of principle for Hextall. This year he has added reasons.
Never say never, but '92* was a long time ago!

*And '99, but I don't think anything of any significance came out ot that. Future considerations for Sean O'Brien.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Jim wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Owchar76 wrote:

Ah, so top paring role means the least icetime of the defense... got it... good to know.

Hey everyone, I didn't know this so I wanted to make sure to point it out. Apparently the Penguins "top paring role" D are Ruhwedel and Cole. Also, apparently, if Crosby double shifts with the 4th line... Reaves and Kuhnhackl are actually top line winger role. 'Cause, you know, obviously. Who knew?

So, ah.... right. Okay. All right. Important tip. Thanks, Egon. (Ghostbuster's line)

No, you're not right. The point stands that Franson's most regular partner this year has been Keith. So unless they've been playing with 5 D all season and they're rotating partners throughout a game, it means that Franson has been out there with their best defenseman more often than not.

Your point doesn't make any sense at all, your arrogance just gets in the way. IF Reaves and Kuhnhackl played their most minutes with Crosby as their centre, maybe, but you're stating that because they played one shift with Crosby that makes them top line wingers? WTF. What do Ruhwedel and Cole have to do with a top pairing role? Have Ruhwedel and Cole played most of their minutes paired with Letang? Because he's our number 1 defenseman, just like Keith is number 1 in Chicago.

Franson's most regular partner this season is Duncan Keith. He's played with him the most and more often than not. Keith plays on the top pair.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins