2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby eddiefromirwin on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 am

farnham16 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
dark_forces wrote:What’s the latest TIOPs say?
I see Bjugstad’s name again.

TIOPS summary:

--According to NHL source Rutherford has been "aggressive as hell" trying to not only land Brassard but Grabner as well. Not either or, but both. Rutherford is trying to get creative enough with the assets he has to obtain both Brassard and Grabner. Says Senators ask is well known and has been laid out for the Penguins, and a source said right now it lies squarely with the Senators as to whether they want to move forward with Pittsburgh.

--For Grabner, says the ask changed from 1st rounder to a 2nd and "something else." Something else is believed to be a young impact player who NY can add right away or by next season.

--Summary on Brassard and Grabners is that both are front burner trades they are working on, but Penguins have about 5-6 players identified as targets, and have positioned themselves to be able to move onto other options closer to the deadline should things with Brassard and/or Grabner start going south.

--Says Pierre LeBrun continues to pump up Plekanec to the Penguins, but what TIOPS is heard is that they did inquire, but Plekanec would be one of those last minute deadline deals if other things fell through.

--Mentioned the Soderberg stuff I mentioned earlier in the week. Says there were some talks with Colorado during the Ian Cole benching that did involve Soderberg's name coming up, but Pittsburgh wasn't interested in taking on his salary. Colorado is said to want to move all of Soderberg's salary, and likely isn't keen on retaining.

--Bjugstad name is out there in a lot of league chatter. TIOPS says Penguins were looking hard at Bjugstad back in December, but unclear if they would do it now as Florida is said to want multiple roster players on good contracts in return for Bjugstad.

Man, if they somehow swing both Brassard and Grabner the forwards could look like this:

Grabner Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Malkin Rust
Guentzel Brassard Kessel
ZAR Sheehan Reeves

No one could compete with that. As long as the new pieces fit in nicely then a 3 peat should happen.

Should? I might hold off on planning the parade route even if they get these guys by Monday.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:53 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, this is sort of trade deadline related, not really Penguins related, but I thought I would share it here:

Came across a tweet this morning talking about Lou Lamoriello. I told the story before of how he would have scouts buy tickets so they didn't show up on the Scout List in the press box. Another guy shared a story about when Lou moved from NJ to Toronto. This guy used to work for MLSE when Toronto first hired Lou.

Said Lou came in for the first day of work, made some phone calls, did some stuff, then called in one of the assistants into his office. Lou asked the assistant if he could get a secure phone/fax line installed, and he needed it done by tomorrow. The assistant has no idea what he means, so Lou says in NJ, he always had a secure phone/fax line so that nobody could tap into his line and get all the info. The assistant says ok, and starts looking around in the area for companies that do this work.....can't find anyone.

After a day of searching with no luck, they call someone down in the Devils organization, and ask them where did they get this secure phone/fax line for Lou that he keeps bragging about and asking for here? The Devils get the Toronto assistant in touch with Lou's old assistant with NJ. He says "Oh, we just switched the phone cable from a Blue one to a Red one, told him it was encrypted, and he was ok with it."

Hahaha. That is awesome. Tell Lou cell phones are the best he is going to be able to do as far as not worrying about people in the building tapping in and listening. The FBI/CIA on the other hand....

Yea thats fantastic! I will have to do that at work sometime, working in IT so I should have the opportunity! But now they can by one of those big thick mobile cases and tell him it is shielded so the phone can't be bugged :)
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 am

pekkasteele wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:So, this is sort of trade deadline related, not really Penguins related, but I thought I would share it here:

Came across a tweet this morning talking about Lou Lamoriello. I told the story before of how he would have scouts buy tickets so they didn't show up on the Scout List in the press box. Another guy shared a story about when Lou moved from NJ to Toronto. This guy used to work for MLSE when Toronto first hired Lou.

Said Lou came in for the first day of work, made some phone calls, did some stuff, then called in one of the assistants into his office. Lou asked the assistant if he could get a secure phone/fax line installed, and he needed it done by tomorrow. The assistant has no idea what he means, so Lou says in NJ, he always had a secure phone/fax line so that nobody could tap into his line and get all the info. The assistant says ok, and starts looking around in the area for companies that do this work.....can't find anyone.

After a day of searching with no luck, they call someone down in the Devils organization, and ask them where did they get this secure phone/fax line for Lou that he keeps bragging about and asking for here? The Devils get the Toronto assistant in touch with Lou's old assistant with NJ. He says "Oh, we just switched the phone cable from a Blue one to a Red one, told him it was encrypted, and he was ok with it."

Hahaha. That is awesome. Tell Lou cell phones are the best he is going to be able to do as far as not worrying about people in the building tapping in and listening. The FBI/CIA on the other hand....

Yea thats fantastic! I will have to do that at work sometime, working in IT so I should have the opportunity! But now they can by one of those big thick mobile cases and tell him it is shielded so the phone can't be bugged :)

Give them a busted external hard disk drive, tell them to put it in within two feet of the phone so the device can't be tapped. :thumb:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Give them a busted external hard disk drive, tell them to put it in within two feet of the phone so the device can't be tapped. :thumb:

Oh good, yes!

That reminds me of this scene from the great IT Crowd.

and the speech.

pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:19 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Oh good, yes!

Spoiler:

and the speech.

Ahh, I'd forgotten about that episode, it's hysterical :lol:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:01 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Oh good, yes!

and the speech.

Love that show!!! The Speech episode might be my favorite tv sitcom show ever!!!!

0118999881999119725 3 << love this one also
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 am

Another day closer...look forward to hearing more rumblings :)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 am

If the wild lose tonight to the Devils and the Kings win against the stars, then the kings leapfrog the wild as the last wildcard spot. I said a week ago I can’t see the wild not making it but things change quickly. If the wild lose tonight and again tomorrow against the Rangers who knows maybe Coyle becomes available.

Coyle + Cullen
Sprong + 1st + Hunwick

Not sure if the salary works but Coyle can play both center and wing.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:If the wild lose tonight to the Devils and the Kings win against the stars, then the kings leapfrog the wild as the last wildcard spot. I said a week ago I can’t see the wild not making it but things change quickly. If the wild lose tonight and again tomorrow against the Rangers who knows maybe Coyle becomes available.

Coyle + Cullen
Sprong + 1st + Hunwick

Not sure if the salary works but Coyle can play both center and wing.

Pass on Cullen. No need for sentimental adds to the team. Cullen has been average at best this season. He struggled early on. His play has picked up a little, but, from what I have heard from people who watch the Wild more often, he often looks like a 41 year old on the ice.

Cullen and Plekanec should be last resort type options if Rutherford misses out on bigger fish. And everything right now indicates he is going big time fishing.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby itissteeltime on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 am

Also a hard pass on Cullen, give up whatever it takes to add Brassard. Sheahan centering the 4th line is perfect.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 am

My new question of the day is, I wonder if the Rangers would take a 2nd rounder and Connor Sheary for Grabner. (with salary retained) NY is said to want a young roster player or player NHL ready. Maybe it's a 2nd and Sprong, but, if you could get them to take Sheary, it opens up the cap space, and Sheary is still relatively young. You know he has potential to hit 20 goals playing with the right linemates, but if not, he's still solid 3rd line production on most teams. Sheary is a bit more of a sure thing over Sprong at this point.

I doubt they would, but just a thought.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 am

FLPensFan wrote:My new question of the day is, I wonder if the Rangers would take a 2nd rounder and Connor Sheary for Grabner. (with salary retained) NY is said to want a young roster player or player NHL ready. Maybe it's a 2nd and Sprong, but, if you could get them to take Sheary, it opens up the cap space, and Sheary is still relatively young. You know he has potential to hit 20 goals playing with the right linemates, but if not, he's still solid 3rd line production on most teams. Sheary is a bit more of a sure thing over Sprong at this point.

That seems like a lot for a pure rental in Grabner who isn't a game breaker.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:20 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:My new question of the day is, I wonder if the Rangers would take a 2nd rounder and Connor Sheary for Grabner. (with salary retained) NY is said to want a young roster player or player NHL ready. Maybe it's a 2nd and Sprong, but, if you could get them to take Sheary, it opens up the cap space, and Sheary is still relatively young. You know he has potential to hit 20 goals playing with the right linemates, but if not, he's still solid 3rd line production on most teams. Sheary is a bit more of a sure thing over Sprong at this point.

Exactly.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:28 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

Why do you think that is a lot? Maybe you get them to move it to a 3rd and Sheary, but, you are asking them to retain salary. I'm sure they'd likely take ZAR or Guentzel without the pick, but do you really want to do that?

Fact is if moves are going to be made, salary has to be shipped out. Sheary seems like the prime candidate at this point, unless there is
The other fact is, Grabner is one of the most inquired about pieces right now. I've heard 8-10 teams are looking to possibly add him, which is at least 50% of playoff bound teams.

Rutherford's only other option is to make one small move, waiving someone like Kuhnhackl or Rowney to send to WBS, and then acquiring someone like Letestu, Vermette, or Ryan and being done. Not that those are bad moves, but they aren't the "holy crap how is anybody going to beat this team" over the top type of moves.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:29 am

Lines at practice today: :?

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
Aston-Reese-Rowney-Sheary (Reaves rotating)

Not a fan of ZAR being moved to the 4th line. Simon really tailed off recently, and ZAR has clearly outplayed him. Hornqvist stated the practice in limited contact, but switched to regular jersey mid way through.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:34 am

FLPensFan wrote:Lines at practice today: :?

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel

Not a fan of ZAR being moved to the 4th line. Simon really tailed off recently, and ZAR has clearly outplayed him. Hornqvist stated the practice in limited contact, but switched to regular jersey mid way through.

I like established lines as much, if not more, than the next LGP'er, but I gotta say, having experience playing with everyone MIGHT be a huge asset come playoff time. If/when a guy gets banged up, playas will be moving up and down the lineup, these games are fine tuning for the playoffs.... Pffft, Pens will win anyway :twisted:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

Penspal wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel

I like established lines as much, if not more, than the next LGP'er, but I gotta say, having experience playing with everyone MIGHT be a huge asset come playoff time. If/when a guy gets banged up, playas will be moving up and down the lineup, these games are fine tuning for the playoffs.... Pffft, Pens will win anyway :twisted:

I have a bigger issue with the breaking up of Hagelin-Malkin-Rust

That line has been dynamite.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am

FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Why do you think that is a lot? Maybe you get them to move it to a 3rd and Sheary, but, you are asking them to retain salary. I'm sure they'd likely take ZAR or Guentzel without the pick, but do you really want to do that?

Fact is if moves are going to be made, salary has to be shipped out. Sheary seems like the prime candidate at this point, unless there is
The other fact is, Grabner is one of the most inquired about pieces right now. I've heard 8-10 teams are looking to possibly add him, which is at least 50% of playoff bound teams.

Rutherford's only other option is to make one small move, waiving someone like Kuhnhackl or Rowney to send to WBS, and then acquiring someone like Letestu, Vermette, or Ryan and being done. Not that those are bad moves, but they aren't the "holy crap how is anybody going to beat this team" over the top type of moves.

Sheary and s pick wouldn't require the Rangers to retain any salary on Grabner.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:55 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

To me, it's an easy answer. There's no chance. Grabner is intriguing, but it's his speed that we're in love with. The 25 goals as well, but it's his speed we're so enamored by. Making this type of deal is getting way too caught up in the deadline. I don't think the add from grabbing him is worth anywhere near that price. I like him, but at the cost of maybe a 2nd or 3rd and Blueger. More than that, move on.

Grabner has 25 goals, 27 last season. His shooting percentage is an insane 19.1%. He obviously isn't much of a set up man, with only 19 assists to go with the 52 goals. He kills penalties, Really exciting to watch. The Rags brought him in with the intent of replacing Hagelin basically. He's got a really streaky goal scoring touch, not having a 20 goal season since 2012 before they signed him. He obviously had fallen a long way to accept a 2 year contract at $1.65M per.

I often make the point of we can only make amateur assessments on the limited amount that we can actually see. The rest is highlights, stats, and reputation. Grabner is a highlight reel. He scores goals, kills penalties, and adds speed. He scores 5 on 5 goals. We could have used him in November and December! The thing is, the Pens lead the next highest scoring team by a relatively wide margin since Jan 1st. Their 84 goals in 21 games is trailed by the Sharks 78, but in 24 games. The Bruins have 76 in 21. Adding scoring and speed is always intriguing, and I like Grabner. Only at a sensible cost though. He doesn't address their supposed want to get stiffer on the boards. Plus, I'm not handing those sorts of assets over to a divisional rival and watch Sprong potentially light the Pens up for the next 5 years. Not for a couple of months of a luxury player.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Sheary and s pick wouldn't require the Rangers to retain any salary on Grabner.

It would if you are hoping to open up as much cap space as possible to bring in Brassard too.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel

I heard Coach Sullivan say on Sunday- he believes Malkin shoots the puck more with these 2 v being Phil . The results are to argue.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Advent is perfect for the start of good play- teamwork.

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 am

longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

To me, it's an easy answer. There's no chance. Grabner is intriguing, but it's his speed that we're in love with. The 25 goals as well, but it's his speed we're so enamored by. Making this type of deal is getting way too caught up in the deadline. I don't think the add from grabbing him is worth anywhere near that price. I like him, but at the cost of maybe a 2nd or 3rd and Blueger. More than that, move on.

Grabner has 25 goals, 27 last season. His shooting percentage is an insane 19.1%. He obviously isn't much of a set up man, with only 19 assists to go with the 52 goals. He kills penalties, Really exciting to watch. The Rags brought him in with the intent of replacing Hagelin basically. He's got a really streaky goal scoring touch, not having a 20 goal season since 2012 before they signed him. He obviously had fallen a long way to accept a 2 year contract at $1.65M per.

I often make the point of we can only make amateur assessments on the limited amount that we can actually see. The rest is highlights, stats, and reputation. Grabner is a highlight reel. He scores goals, kills penalties, and adds speed. He scores 5 on 5 goals. We could have used him in November and December! The thing is, the Pens lead the next highest scoring team by a relatively wide margin since Jan 1st. Their 84 goals in 21 games is trailed by the Sharks 78, but in 24 games. The Bruins have 76 in 21. Adding scoring and speed is always intriguing, and I like Grabner. Only at a sensible cost though. He doesn't address their supposed want to get stiffer on the boards. Plus, I'm not handing those sorts of assets over to a divisional rival and watch Sprong potentially light the Pens up for the next 5 years. Not for a couple of months of a luxury player.

I think you make a fair argument.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

penny lane wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel

I heard Coach Sullivan say on Sunday- he believes Malkin shoots the puck more with these 2 v being Phil . The results are to argue.

Let's also not forget Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist was also playing quite well before Hornqvist got injured.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
penny lane wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Simon-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel

Let's also not forget Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist was also playing quite well before Hornqvist got injured.

And Crosby has been fairly quiet with his AHL linemates.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm

I believe Grabner and Hagelin play the same wing, but wouldn't it be fun to see both of them on the ice at the same time, maybe on the PK? I doubt other teams would even risk a cross ice pass on a powerplay with those two on the ice ha.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins