2018 Trade Rumors (Deadline Day talk starts page 103)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2018 Trade Rumors Section

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Philly gets Mrazek from Detroit for a conditional 4th in 2018 and a conditional 3rd in 2019. Detroit retains 50% salary.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:40 pm

That seems pretty cheap for Mrazek. I was hoping Philly would get gouged a bit given their sudden need for a goalie.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 am

According to Adrian Dater who covers the Avs, he's hearing the Penguins have some interest in Carl Soderberg. Says it is likely a fallback option if they miss out on others, and mentions Colorado would have to retain salary.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 am

FLPensFan wrote:According to Adrian Dater who covers the Avs, he's hearing the Penguins have some interest in Carl Soderberg. Says it is likely a fallback option if they miss out on others, and mentions Colorado would have to retain salary.

Hmm, that's interesting. Basically doubling down on a player of Sheahan's ilk and is certainly an upgrade over the current situation. There would have to be some serious salary withholding though because Soderberg ain't worth 4.75 million! Might also depend on whether the Avs get back on track with McKinnon returning. They're not that far out of a playoff spot, and it's not like Soderberg is a player that won't help them down the line (even if he hasn't played up to his contract).
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 am

wondermoose wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:According to Adrian Dater who covers the Avs, he's hearing the Penguins have some interest in Carl Soderberg. Says it is likely a fallback option if they miss out on others, and mentions Colorado would have to retain salary.

Hmm, that's interesting. Basically doubling down on a player of Sheahan's ilk and is certainly an upgrade over the current situation. There would have to be some serious salary withholding though because Soderberg ain't worth 4.75 million! Might also depend on whether the Avs get back on track with McKinnon returning. They're not that far out of a playoff spot, and it's not like Soderberg is a player that won't help them down the line (even if he hasn't played up to his contract).

I believe that Rutherford has a backup plan if he doesn’t get Brassard. I have a feeling he will get an upgrade at LW (not Kane), most likely someone whose name hasn’t been discussed here. I think Letestu is the guy they add for the 4C slot.

I really don’t see the need for Soderberg.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 am

Saw on rotoworld Pens are interested in Grabner.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 am

KG wrote:Saw on rotoworld Pens are interested in Grabner.

I thought someone posted a quote from Rutherford basically saying if Rangers are available it is to teams like Boston, not Pittsburgh?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:Philly gets Mrazek from Detroit for a conditional 4th in 2018 and a conditional 3rd in 2019. Detroit retains 50% salary.

Murray .908 and 2.86
Mrazek .909 and 2.89

I just thought that the closeness of those stats was odd.

26 year old RFA 50% retained for...
2018 4th* - Becomes 3rd if Mrazek wins five playoff games, 2nd if reach the Conf Final and Mrazek wins six playoff games
2019 3rd* - If Flyers resign Mrazek

So the deal is for either just a 4th, or up to a 2nd and a 3rd.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:44 am

largegarlic wrote:That seems pretty cheap for Mrazek. I was hoping Philly would get gouged a bit given their sudden need for a goalie.

Detroit needs cap space just as bad. They most likely were as desperate as Philly.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
largegarlic wrote:That seems pretty cheap for Mrazek. I was hoping Philly would get gouged a bit given their sudden need for a goalie.

Detroit needs cap space just as bad. They most likely were as desperate as Philly.

I guess that's true. I keep assuming they must have cap space, since they're pretty bad, but looking at Capfriendly, they have lots of horrible contracts. And they have a bunch of RFAs to sign in the summer.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:57 am

Seems like Brassard is option 1. If JR doesn't land Brassard he will probably get a top 6 wing and lesser 4C.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:59 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
KG wrote:Saw on rotoworld Pens are interested in Grabner.

I thought someone posted a quote from Rutherford basically saying if Rangers are available it is to teams like Boston, not Pittsburgh?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1802190178

If the Rangers are truly rebuilding then you take the best offer, no matter what team. This is Grabner they are dealing not Messier.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 am

KG wrote:Seems like Brassard is option 1. If JR doesn't land Brassard he will probably get a top 6 wing and lesser 4C.

Pacioretty please
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby praxitas on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am

We're one Niskanen cheap shot away from having Sheahan as our #2 C. While he's playing great, I'd prefer Brassard myself for that reason alone if we go big or go home.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am

Lol well said prax!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jreed on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am

praxitas wrote:We're one Niskanen cheap shot away from having Sheahan as our #2 C. While he's playing great, I'd prefer Brassard myself for that reason alone if we go big or go home.

I agree with this. My preference would be to deal for Brassard and have him at 3C with Sheahan at 4C. Brassard would be a highly capable 2C as well. That would give you the ability to roll with Crosby and Malkin together just about any time you wanted without sacrificing productivity on the second line. He'd be a great pickup.

This team is peaking at the right time. They have a realistic chance of joining some of the greatest teams in sports history in a three-peat championship. Were talking about the MJ Chicago Bulls, Dryden/Lafleur/Lemaire Canadians, Dimaggio/Mantle Yankees, Rocket Richard Canadians, Dimaggio/Gehrig Yankees, among a few others. Its the stuff of legend. If JR wants Brassard and see him as the piece that is going to give this team the best chance of winning, I see him getting him. This opportunity will likely never come again.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am

jreed wrote:
praxitas wrote:We're one Niskanen cheap shot away from having Sheahan as our #2 C. While he's playing great, I'd prefer Brassard myself for that reason alone if we go big or go home.

I agree with this. My preference would be to deal for Brassard and have him at 3C with Sheahan at 4C. Brassard would be a highly capable 2C as well. That would give you the ability to roll with Crosby and Malkin together just about any time you wanted without sacrificing productivity on the second line. He'd be a great pickup.

This team is peaking at the right time. They have a realistic chance of joining some of the greatest teams in sports history in a three-peat championship. Were talking about the MJ Chicago Bulls, Dryden/Lafleur/Lemaire Canadians, Dimaggio/Mantle Yankees, Rocket Richard Canadians, Dimaggio/Gehrig Yankees, among a few others. Its the stuff of legend. If JR wants Brassard and see him as the piece that is going to give this team the best chance of winning, I see him getting him. This opportunity will likely never come again.

I'm not concerned with being a Nisky cheap shot from having Sheahan as 2C.........I'm concerned with being a Nisky cheap shot from having Rowney as our 3C, and Greg McKegg as our 4C. :shock: :shock: :shock:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am

If Brassard proves too costly I don't think J.T. Miller is as untouchable as once thought. They moved him to 4th line left wing last game and they seem to be unhappy with his defensive side of the game. The question then becomes is that someone you want at 3c as the Pens have said they wanted a two way center there. This whole pursuit of a playmaking 3c could be alleviated if they would just move Kessel back with Malkin. I thought that is why Kessel was brought here in the first place so as to give Crosby or Malkin a winger!! A 3rd line of Guentzel-Sheahan-Rust would hold their own and provide enough offense even without Kessel on it.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby praxitas on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 am

FLPensFan wrote:I'm not concerned with being a Nisky cheap shot from having Sheahan as 2C.........I'm concerned with being a Nisky cheap shot from having Rowney as our 3C, and Greg McKegg as our 4C. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Exactly. Not a good trickle down effect at all. I'm sure they'd try Jake back at C, but then we're sacrificing a wing. I'd much rather go in for a solid 3C/2C and call it a day. I don't know what Brassard or someone of his stature would cost but I would consider:

Any COMBO (meaning not all) of our Draft picks this year and next, Sprong, Gus, WBS players, Sheary, Hunwick and Cole. I like Cole a lot, but if the new team would want to negotiate an extension I can't imagine he would be here next year anyway. I'd hate to lose Rust, but depending on how much more we would have to add on I would think about him too. Hags would be in the same boat. He's been lights out since the new year, but that would open a fair amount of cap space for the new arrival and for next year.
Last edited by praxitas on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 am

Tyler Bozak not on the ice this morning for what appears to be an otherwise full Leafs practice. Twitter speculation currently running rampant. :scared: :scared: :scared:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am

Bozak now that’s interesting....

Highly doubt they want to help facilitate a reunion with Bozak and Kessel.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am

KG wrote:Bozak now that’s interesting....

Highly doubt they want to help facilitate a reunion with Bozak and Kessel.

But we can send them another over-hyped forward prospect for him....
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 am

Babcock said Bozak will be in the lineup tonight. Confirmed maintenance day by Babcock.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
jreed wrote:

I'm not concerned with being a Nisky cheap shot from having Sheahan as 2C.........I'm concerned with being a Nisky cheap shot from having Rowney as our 3C, and Greg McKegg as our 4C. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This. Very much.

If you think Rowney looks like an AHL that's not cutting any mustard, McKegg couldn't cut mayonaise.

That's fine to start the season with and see what happens. It didn't really fly. Guentzel as bottom-6 C wasn't doing it either. Luckily, we acquired Sheahan to at least get McKegg out of the lineup.

All that's left is to acquire a C that bumps Rowney down on the depth chart. Behind Sheahan and another C in the middle; behind whatever of the kids is with Crosby, Hagelin, Guentzel and Kühnhackl on the LW.

A high profile LW? Unless GMJR completely blanks out on acquiring a C, I'll pass.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Vladimir Sobotka will be a scratch tonight for STL. He's out "sick." Sobotka had been rumored to be on the block.

Mike Green is also not playing tonight for Detroit. He was injured last week against Tampa, and says he should be back Thursday. Green is almost 100% certainly moved before the deadline.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins