Kevin Stevens “Shattered” short film

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kevin Stevens “Shattered” short film

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 pm

ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Kevin Stevens “Shattered” short film

Postby ejd43 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 am

Man, Kevin Stevens was one of my favorite pens growing up, but good god I didn’t know he’s been fighting these demons since 93. Glad Mario is loyal to his friends and giving him one last chance. Stay well Kevin.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 am

Pretty good video. Found it interesting that he actually got started on coke 2-3 months before he got his face smashed. But that injury, the car wreck, and I wouldn't doubt he is a guy who probably had a few undocumented concussions the way he played the game......not hard to see why that wouldn't contribute.

Glad the guy has finally cleaned up. I met him once quickly, I believe it was during the 92 playoffs, at a Pirates game. Him and Tocchet were sitting behind home plate, and people (including 18 year old me) kept going down and asking for their autographs. Stevens wasn't very nice, think he just wanted to watch the game. Tocchet was actually pretty cool.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ivand87 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 pm

I came in here today just to post that... Very sad story but it looks like things are finally looking up for Artie!
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Rough stuff for him. He was a helluva power forward in the day and then the face-smash derailed his career and then the addiction problems during/after. It's not too late for a better outcome in life than the end of his playing days. It's all on him and I hope for the best.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stan_Potash on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 am

My heart really breaks for people who suffer from addiction. I've seen it up close. I'm so happy to see that he's doing better now and living a sober life. There is still a lot of evident sadness in him and I worry that it's too soon into his sobriety for a celebratory story, only because it'll be so upsetting if he relapses again. I still remember feeling sick when I saw his injury happen. I was 13 at the time. I almost cried as they took him off the ice. I can't imagine having my life turned upside down like that. Here's hoping for the best.

If you're someone who is suffering from addiction of any kind, please take that first step and just talk to someone. There are armies of wonderful people out there who make it their life's work to help those who are in your exact situation.
Stan_Potash

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Not really a follow-up piece, but a quick thought from another viewpoint....Shelly Anderson, formerly of the PG, wrote a small piece on him after the Sportsnet video.

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/kevin-stevens-addiction-hope/
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:33 pm

Anyone else think the "friend" that gave him the cocaine was another teammate?
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 am

ron_duguays_hair wrote:Anyone else think the "friend" that gave him the cocaine was another teammate?

I think so too. Didn't he say they where on a road game in NY? How often do players personal friend join in on an out night with the team?
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:44 am

ShaPe wrote:
ron_duguays_hair wrote:Anyone else think the "friend" that gave him the cocaine was another teammate?

I think so too. Didn't he say they where on a road game in NY? How often do players personal friend join in on an out night with the team?

Exactly.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 am

Downtown Robbie Brown?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins