Game 45 vs Wings - Thoughts from the |Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 45 vs Wings - Thoughts from the |Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:33 am

Pens win 4-1

- Geno was a beast in this game. Galloping everwhere unleashing the cannon. Fun to watch, confusing where he goes in some games when he makes it look so easy
- Pens are back in the playoffs baby! Also starting to look like the team we know they can be. Break seems to have done them so good!
- Jarry played very well in a bounce back game. He made some big saves and was their best PK'er in a game with a ton of bad/poor penalties
- Forced to watch the Wings feed... They was a lot of respect shown by the Wings broadcasters to the Pens. Also a few funny "off camera" slip ups in broadcast
- Reaves completely shut down the late game foolishness, kudos to HCMS for having him out there
- Letang made at least two passes that were straight giveaway chances the other way. Up by a couple goals, his decision making.... pls come back :pop:
- Another game where the special teams were the difference. Could the PowerPlay be sooo good because of the crackdown on hand slashing?
- I don't get playing Hunwick over Cole. Maybe for his skating and the Larking/AA line matchup, which Hunwick & Oleksiak defended well when called upon.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 45 vs Wings - Thoughts from the |Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:40 am

- The team is finally clicking. They are a solid 3C from being downright scary with every line they put out there.
- Jarry with a solid performance after a not so good outing last time. Nice to see.
- Kessel has 4 goals in his last 8 games, but all 4 are on the PP. That's not a knock on Kessel, just more evidence that the 3rd line can't generate offense 5 on 5 right now.
- Hunwick continues to disappoint, but I will bring up a point someone mentioned on Twitter yesterday. Recall guys like Gonchar and Martin, maybe a few others, who did not look very good in their first seasons here either. Some guys take longer than 20-40 games to fit in. May just need to give Hunwick more time.
- The #ColeFreePittsburgh movement has started, with Gerrit beating Ian out of town first. I expect Ian to be next, shipped out before February.
- Geno. He is score.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-1
- I don't get playing Hunwick over Cole. Maybe for his skating and the Larking/AA line matchup, which Hunwick & Oleksiak defended well when called upon.

I really, really can't understand scratching Cole for Hunwick unless there is a trade eminent like the next day. I don't see the move as putting your best available players out on the ice to compete. Cole is not great and certainly no Rick Berry(remember the eruption over trading him?) :D , but Hunwick appears to be a real scrub.

Great game by Geno and good overall from everybody out there. I imagine Jarry will be getting the start tonight and we'll see how he and the team itself can handle back to back yet again with the streak they are starting to get on finally.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Add me to the list that doesn't get Hunwick over Cole. I know he's a better skater, but it's not like Cole is Gill or Scuderi out there. Overall, Cole is better and it isn't close, but obviously the coaches feel otherwise. Tough to get too worked up over a bottom pair D spot, but still a curious move.

Galloping Geno best.

Crosby's stick lift/shot combo on his goal was ridiculous.

PK was huge, but they kind of dodged a bullet there. Can't expect those guys to kill that many every night.

Neat to see a PPG from Phil that wasn't a snipe from the LW circle. That PP is on fire. There's so many different ways they can hurt you.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 pm

FLPensFan wrote:- The team is finally clicking. They are a solid 3C from being downright scary with every line they put out there.
- Jarry with a solid performance after a not so good outing last time. Nice to see.
- Kessel has 4 goals in his last 8 games, but all 4 are on the PP. That's not a knock on Kessel, just more evidence that the 3rd line can't generate offense 5 on 5 right now.
- Hunwick continues to disappoint, but I will bring up a point someone mentioned on Twitter yesterday. Recall guys like Gonchar and Martin, maybe a few others, who did not look very good in their first seasons here either. Some guys take longer than 20-40 games to fit in. May just need to give Hunwick more time.
- The #ColeFreePittsburgh movement has started, with Gerrit beating Ian out of town first. I expect Ian to be next, shipped out before February.
- Geno. He is score.

Geno always plays best after a snub.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Malkin plays best when he wants to make a point. Other times he is the lumbering oaf.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins