Penguins recall JS Dea

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins recall JS Dea

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:54 am

Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Penguins recall JS Dea

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:54 am

Did someone get hurt last game? Or do we just need the extra forward for the road trip?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

DelPen wrote:Did someone get hurt last game? Or do we just need the extra forward for the road trip?

I think it is the latter, since they never brought up an extra forward when Rust and Rowney went down. Being out on the West Coast, probably smart to carry a 13th with them.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Chris Bradford of DK wrote that the recalling of Dea was to make room for Murray to return to the roster. He then proceeded to answer in the comments the same way. It makes zero sense to make room for a player by adding another player. I'm assuming Desmith was returned to WBS and Dea was added for depth -- and both moves combined made room for Murray to dress.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Maybe it's to try him out as the #3 center. Jake G. no points in at least his last 5; a +/- = 0 during the 4 game win streak. His time last game was under 13min. His shifts also were the lowest in the last 5.

My guess is the Coach wants him back at wing sooner rather than later.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Defence21 wrote:Chris Bradford of DK wrote that the recalling of Dea was to make room for Murray to return to the roster. He then proceeded to answer in the comments the same way. It makes zero sense to make room for a player by adding another player. I'm assuming Desmith was returned to WBS and Dea was added for depth -- and both moves combined made room for Murray to dress.

I wonder if many of these sports "writers" even think before they spew something out.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Jim wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Chris Bradford of DK wrote that the recalling of Dea was to make room for Murray to return to the roster. He then proceeded to answer in the comments the same way. It makes zero sense to make room for a player by adding another player. I'm assuming Desmith was returned to WBS and Dea was added for depth -- and both moves combined made room for Murray to dress.

I wonder if many of these sports "writers" even think before they spew something out.

I originally thought he just forgot to add a piece on Desmith before publishing, then he commented and again completely missed the idea that adding someone doesn't make room for someone else, and I realized that he didn't forget something in his article...he just didn't think about what was being written.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Maestro wrote:Maybe it's to try him out as the #3 center. Jake G. no points in at least his last 5; a +/- = 0 during the 4 game win streak. His time last game was under 13min. His shifts also were the lowest in the last 5.

My guess is the Coach wants him back at wing sooner rather than later.

Jake's been struggling the since the beginning of December. He hasn't produced points in his 4+ ames at center, but he's had some decent chances, and didn't get an assist but did most of the work on Kessel's goal sunday night. There's no question the Pens' biggest need is a quality 3rd line center. Having said that, I'd rather leave Jake there then trade for some of the names I've seen. They much rather have in on the wing, but his time auditioning as a center and penalty killer has maybe gone better then you realize, when you look at the underlying stats. Here's an article in the Trib about his time in the middle.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/131 ... Stories%29
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 pm

I approve of Dea getting a cup of coffee.

Why not see what he does in practice as 3C?

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hörnqvist
Sheary-Simon/Dea-Kessel
Kühnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Possession stats, etc. are fine but Guentzal helps this team most when he is scoring.
Why turn him into Riley Sheahan?
And as far as only having 2 goals since 12/1 - playing C ain't helping him get out of his slump.
Put him on lw with Geno.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 pm

It'll be interesting if he plays. Slight chance he could be showcased.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins