Game 48 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 48 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:I wasn't happy wit the Reaves trade when it happened and i still don't like it. The argument that he deters can be made. I don't doubt that he has done that to some degree and you can't measure what could have happened if he wasn't there. But I just don't think he is worth the cost of acquiring him (a 1st round pick and a prospect) and the time on the ice he's given related to his results. I don't see that much benefit there. Unfortunately, because of the sh***y way the NHL is run he becomes a necessity. The fine on Brown is typical of the NHL Player "Safety" standards - Brown's cap hit is #5.875M. According to my questionable math skills thats 0.17% of his salary. Yeah, that sends a message. Because Schultz didn't miss any time or go to the hospital its not that big a deal I guess...

Reaves + Lauzon (drafted #51)
Sundqvist + Kostin (drafted #31)

Meh.

Only thing that annoys me about it, is that it eliminates having one less guy we can send down to WBS and call back up without waiver nonsense.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 48 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:I wasn't happy wit the Reaves trade when it happened and i still don't like it. The argument that he deters can be made. I don't doubt that he has done that to some degree and you can't measure what could have happened if he wasn't there. But I just don't think he is worth the cost of acquiring him (a 1st round pick and a prospect) and the time on the ice he's given related to his results. I don't see that much benefit there. Unfortunately, because of the sh***y way the NHL is run he becomes a necessity. The fine on Brown is typical of the NHL Player "Safety" standards - Brown's cap hit is #5.875M. According to my questionable math skills thats 0.17% of his salary. Yeah, that sends a message. Because Schultz didn't miss any time or go to the hospital its not that big a deal I guess...

I liked the trade when it occurred. I'm still ok with it, but the issue is more Sullivan's usage than anything. They talked up his skating and skills, and talked about putting him on the PK. That never happened.....even when the Penguins were in the bottom 5 PK teams in the league early on. Another Sully mystifying roster decision.

In terms of what we gave up, Sundqvist was hyped up beyond belief. Even Crosby raved about how he was a very dominate defensive center to practice against. Scoring was his knock, and he went to the AHL and started putting up a ton of goals. Problem is, none of that has translated to the NHL level. He has a whopping 3 assists, and his been a healthy scratch for roughly 18 games for STL. Give him another year or so, but he's bordering on BUST at this point.

The pick was the last pick in the 1st round. It's semantics. 1 pick away from being a 2nd round pick. It would be different if it was a top 10-15 pick, but once you get into the 20's, the first round picks are essentially 2nds. And, we didn't give it away in the trade we traded down 20 spots. Finally, everyone gets upset because of who STL took, but there is no indication at all that the Penguins would have taken Klim Kostin. They could have easily taken someone else that didn't have the same upside, and the issue would be even more moot.

I think with Kunitz leaving, simply adding some physicality on an otherwise small team was a good thing. I don't like Sully's usage, and if his usage continues as is, I'd rather see him on a rotation where he isn't playing every game.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins