If we could've kept just one player....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If we could've kept just one player....

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Of the ones that were here that left, if we could've kept just ONE player who would you have liked to seen stay? Fleury, Cullen, Bonino, Kunitz, Hainsey, Daley, which one? They all are what I called "glue guys", they all did something well that kept the team glued together, they may not have always been spectacular but they were at times and all had their moments.

Which one?
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: If we could've kept just one player....

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 pm

At their current salary? Definitely Kunitz. Still don’t know why we didn’t keep him at the price he signed for.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Durbano on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Agree on Kunitz at current salary.

If the hypothetical involves a blanket waiver from the NHL -- we pick one without repercussion -- I'd say Bones, because he addresses the main current need.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nastystang05 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 pm

It would be Kunitz for me. However, maybe he didn't want to stay?
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 pm

I would have kept Fleury and traded Murray based on how well Fleury is still playing, how sporadic Murray has been in and out of the lineup for whatever reason and how well Jarry is playing too. We would have then lost Cole or Hags in expansion and neither would have hurt.

Then we would have been able to get a lot for Murray including a goalie to expose, a 1st and some good prospects.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 am

DelPen wrote:I would have kept Fleury and traded Murray based on how well Fleury is still playing, how sporadic Murray has been in and out of the lineup for whatever reason and how well Jarry is playing too. We would have then lost Cole or Hags in expansion and neither would have hurt.

Then we would have been able to get a lot for Murray including a goalie to expose, a 1st and some good prospects.

I don't know what Murray being in/out of the line up has to do with much. He's at 31 GP, pretty close to what other #1's are averaging, and MAF is at 15 due to injury. Who knows if MAF gets injured or not if he's still in Pittsburgh or if he plays at the level he's been at for 15 games in Vegas if he's in Pittsburgh. There is also no firm idea of exactly what Murray would have fetched via trade.

I'd like to have seen Hainsey return if the price was going to be 2.5mil for a couple of years.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 am

Definitely Cullen. They call him Dad, c'mon. Plus we wouldn't have had to trade for Sheahan possibly. And would've had his cap hit available for the deadline.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 am

Tough call, I would keep MAF, Daley, Cullen, Kunitz and Bonino.. I wouldnt sign Hunwick, trade Hagelin, wouldnt aquire Sheahan and soo
on.. but salary cap wise,yep -- mission impossible.. at the current need, Bonino would be most needed
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 am

Daley.... I know it may surprise a few people, but I think his efforts were never really valued. His offense seemed to happen "at the right time", like say that game last night vs the Sharks.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 am

Penspal wrote:Daley.... I know it may surprise a few people, but I think his efforts were never really valued. His offense seemed to happen "at the right time", like say that game last night vs the Sharks.

For this year, sure. But not at the money or term he got from Detroit.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 am

ville5 wrote:Definitely Cullen. They call him Dad, c'mon. Plus we wouldn't have had to trade for Sheahan possibly. And would've had his cap hit available for the deadline.

I’m not sure this year’s Cullen is capable of all the things last year’s Cullen did. ATOI now down nearly 3 minutes a night from previous years, scoring stats project to be about 2/3 of last season. Kunitz, too, time on ice down nearly 4 minutes, 11 points on the season. Could be a coach affect, or it could be a player slowing down around age 40.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Al262 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:18 am

Bonino is my choice. He was an anchor on the third line and able to step up to the second when needed. I know he was seeking a longer term deal but overpaying for 1 or 2 years to give the team a legit chance to 3-peat. Imagine our centers as Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, and Sheehan.
Al262

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am

Hainsey.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Al262 wrote:Bonino is my choice. He was an anchor on the third line and able to step up to the second when needed. I know he was seeking a longer term deal but overpaying for 1 or 2 years to give the team a legit chance to 3-peat. Imagine our centers as Crosby, Malkin, Bonino, and Sheehan.

We couldn’t have both Bonino and Sheahan. At $4.1 M to Bones we’d have Rowney at 4C, no Reaves and still be scratching to cut payroll.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm

With their current contracts...

Fleury - $5.75M/2 - 33 yo - Not much of an option with the Cap. Even trading away Murray instead would make it a difficult cap situation. No
Bonino - $4.1/4 - 29 yo - $4.1M is over payment. No
Daley - $3.17M/3 - 34 yo - Daley was not bad at all, but quite overrated by the fans here, $3.2M cap hit for a 37 year old that is only meh at 33 is tough to take. No
Kunitz - $3M/1 - 38 yo - ($2M + $1M) If it was understood that he was coming back as a 4th liner, no PP, no PK... Maybe
Hainsey - $3M/2 - 36 yo - Like with Daley, that is a lot of cap hit to put on a 37 year old. More positional D and less reliance on hands that Daley, but still ... No.
Cullen - $1.7M/1 - 41 Yo - ($1M +$700K) Probably was never really an option. Family wanted to go home. Plus, he is 41. No

So just looking at contracts Kunitz is the only one that is even a maybe. But I am fine with not having any of them.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Hainsey.

I'd take Hainsey too.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 pm

If it meant no Hunwick, I’d take Hainsey.

Dumoulin Letang
Hainsey Schultz
Maatta Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

Cole traded.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:39 am

Steve Dave wrote:If it meant no Hunwick, I’d take Hainsey.

Dumoulin Letang
Hainsey Schultz
Maatta Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

Cole traded.

The D would be solid if Hainsey was out and Cole in.......
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:If it meant no Hunwick, I’d take Hainsey.

Dumoulin Letang
Hainsey Schultz
Maatta Oleksiak
Ruhwedel

Cole traded.

The D would be solid if Hainsey was out and Cole in.......

So the answer, if we could bring back one player from last season, is Cole.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm

And this is the "problem" with winning back-to-back cups. Our second-tier guys get really over-valued around the league by all the teams that think they're 1-2 pieces from turning a corner, and want a good player who is a proven winner. I'd love any of those guys back as players, but only a couple make an even reasonable argument to justify their salary.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 pm

DelPen wrote:I would have kept Fleury and traded Murray based on how well Fleury is still playing, how sporadic Murray has been in and out of the lineup for whatever reason and how well Jarry is playing too. We would have then lost Cole or Hags in expansion and neither would have hurt.

Unfortunately that was Fleury's mantra also. When he was on he was unflappable and stopped anything that came his way but when he was bad he couldn't stop a beach ball. Yet based on this year alone I'd agree with you.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm

He seems more at peace now being on a team with no expectations of him and not having a coach who will turn on him at the slightest hiccup. Fleury was the main reason we beat the Caps and I don’t see anything that would lead me to believe we don’t repeat if he was able to finish the playoffs.

For what we have up to keep Murray, Fleury is still near elite level and also a 2nd, I think we would have been better off still moving Murray for a ransom that someone would have paid and left Hags and Cole exposed. Seeing what we have in Jarry and deSmith too and even gustafson we had the immediate and future depth to cover losing Murray.

Or we could have done something to even send Murray to Begas if they also took Hags and sent back some of the 1st rounders they had. Is past draft.

We had an opportunity to maximize an asset and Rutherford failed to do it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins