Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Game 49 vs Sharks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 49 vs Sharks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 am

Pens lose 2-1

- You cannot win them all. I remember when the West Coast swing meant a definite losing record. Pens made it very close, lost to a SC finalist of a few years back.
- DeSmith looks promising. I am not a goalie coach, but he seems to be able to make certain glove stops that give Murray/Jarry some difficulty. Can't fault him on either goal last night
- I do have to wonder thought if something is not up with Jarry as he didn't get the start. Or could this be HCMS showing us that he's got some "Scottie Bowman" like mind games?
- Sid will get 400 goal at home, seem fitting right. He had his chances last night for sure
- Pens 4th line didn't look very good last night, coaches noticed and they did not get much ice. I think you have to credit the Sharks 4th line
- Letang looked slow last night. On a few races back for the puck, he was caught a few times. That almost never happens. Exhaustion, will or playing hurt? That's one part of his game easily noticeable.
- You simply cannot win every game... crappy loss, but they were in it and now they just have to focus on the next one.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 49 vs Sharks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby KG on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 am

Effort was there. They will be ok. Get some home cooking.

Don’t like the line changes that Sullivan has done. We had a good thing going with Sid/Simon/Sprong and Sheehan/Reaves/Knuckles. Don’t like the Sprong scratch. Kid is one of the few players we have that thinks shot first. Let him play!

We have to keep Jake at 3C until we get someone better. Those 4 lines provided good depth up and down the lineup. We have to play 4 lines.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 am

Aside from the second period against the Ducks, it was a good road trip from a quality of play standpoint. Tuesday against Carolina will be a huge game.

I disagree with starting DeSmith and holding out Sprong last night, but it it’s a case of don’t change a lineup after a win, I can live with it. DeSmith certainly played well enough.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Faubert5 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:42 am

Still some flaws in their game, particularly with regards to Letang. The good news is they're more fun to watch as the speed and effort have picked up, the goaltending is getting better, and the they're scoring again. A third Cup is a big mountain to climb but at least they appear to be ascending and not falling off a cliff.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:Still some flaws in their game, particularly with regards to Letang. The good news is they're more fun to watch as the speed and effort have picked up, the goaltending is getting better, and the they're scoring again. A third Cup is a big mountain to climb but at least they appear to be ascending and not falling off a cliff.

This is what Im talking about. Much more enjoyable game last night with more open ice compared to LAK and ANA games. Weird feeling with the result... Felt like our speed, effort, opportunities, and goaltending were all there, SJ had just a few more bounces/breaks.

SJ was also aggressively sending a Fwd up ice for stretch passes to start their breakouts, but overall we cleaned up and allowed fewer breakaways than the previous two games.

Sid had so many quality opportunities in this game to get #400. Credit to SJ's backup goaltender. He was a difference maker.

This is probably the best I have seen Hornqvist play. 2nd line looks great out there. They are still learning to read each other on cycles and breakouts.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins