Penguins Practice updates 2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Practice updates 2018

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:I recall Sheary being the first to come up way back. And the first to go back down after... I don't know 10-12 games?

Sprong sent down to WBS per official twitter.

https://www.nhl.com/player/conor-sheary ... n=20152016

I didn't find any gaps, but I also didn't compare the game log to NHL log or compare with AHL log.

But I also had to google it since the memory ain't that great sometimes. :fist:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Daniel wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:I recall Sheary being the first to come up way back. And the first to go back down after... I don't know 10-12 games?

https://www.nhl.com/player/conor-sheary ... n=20152016

I didn't find any gaps, but I also didn't compare the game log to NHL log or compare with AHL log.

Could've been a healthy scratch gap. Memory is a funny and at times foggy thing.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Sprong didn't put up points every night but I think his advanced stats were very very good compared to other players over that time. I believe his CF might have even been tops on the team.

I hate when coaches play "their guys" over what's best for the team. We saw it happen with Bylsma and I fear Sullivan is going down that same path with guys like Hagelin and Rowney (when healthy).
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:47 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Sprong didn't put up points every night but I think his advanced stats were very very good compared to other players over that time. I believe his CF might have even been tops on the team.

I hate when coaches play "their guys" over what's best for the team. We saw it happen with Bylsma and I fear Sullivan is going down that same path with guys like Hagelin and Rowney (when healthy).

I think it's as simple as a demotion with letting him know what he needs to improve on to be an NHL All Star. I also think RW depth is a good reason as well.

Sprong is the future (unless traded of course), Hagelin and Rowney are not. I think Sullivan understands that.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Well, as long as they're saying what's on their mind, I don't see there's anything wrong with the guy going back down for some icetime.

Hagelin and Rowney should play over Dea and whoever. Yes, Rowney has some shortcomings and Hagelin's contract is a stinker. But it's not like we get better scratching those over any call-ups.

Let's say Rust and Rowney come back to the lineup. That's Dea and Simon back to WBS first thing. Because we have 26 players in the mix, with one LTIR and two IR.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:Alternative.. as I would like it...

It could just mean that Rust is making his return. Forward #13 gets sent down to make room. Better Sprong plays in WBS than sits next to Cole in PIT. Still quite annoyed it took em as long as they did to return him to Charlottetown in his first NHL stint.

So Sprong is below Simon on the depth chart? That says even more about Sprong then.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Jim wrote:

It could just mean that Rust is making his return. Forward #13 gets sent down to make room. Better Sprong plays in WBS than sits next to Cole in PIT. Still quite annoyed it took em as long as they did to return him to Charlottetown in his first NHL stint.

So Sprong is below Simon on the depth chart? That says even more about Sprong then.

I think all it says is Sullivan is more confident in Simon's overall game. Not surprising because Simon is three years older than Sprong and has played multiple seasons in pro hockey both in Europe and the AHL. I would hope that Simon is ahead at this point in their careers.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm

I don't think I would have sent Sprong down, but based on the one game I saw live (I trust my opinion more when I go to games), I thought Simon was a better all-around player than Sprong. Simon was making little plays in all 3 zones to help the team and looked somewhat dangerous in the offensive zone. I think Simon should be producing a bit more given his opportunities and apparent talent, but 1 g, 5 a in 14 games isn't horrible. I'm hoping Simon can take the step to becoming a Sheary-level player...maybe a little less offensive production, but better in the defensive and neutral zones.

I'd notice Sprong when there was a laser beam wrist shot on occasion, and I'd think, "Woah, who shot that?" and then see the jersey number was 41. But that was about it...
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I hate when coaches play "their guys" over what's best for the team. We saw it happen with Bylsma and I fear Sullivan is going down that same path with guys like Hagelin and Rowney (when healthy).

This type of response always makes me laugh. How do you know what's best for the team?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Jim wrote:

Or it simply says they play two different positions.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I hate when coaches play "their guys" over what's best for the team. We saw it happen with Bylsma and I fear Sullivan is going down that same path with guys like Hagelin and Rowney (when healthy).

This type of response always makes me laugh. How do you know what's best for the team?

I'm not saying I know what's best for the team simply drawing parallels between what Bylsma did what Sullivan appears to be doing now.

Carl Hagelin has 3 goals in 48 games, one of which was an empty netter. He is getting time on Malkins wing while Sprong is headed back to the AHL. It doesn't make sense to me, sorry.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Pitts wrote:

Wait, we don't know what's best for the team? Who knew. :scared:

Seriously, the only thing I'll say in defense is that I don't think it's a coincidence that relying on the WBS kids over free agents and trades is the reason we've seen two straight cup wins. Guy like Sprong should absolutely play over Hagelin and Rowney......but not because he's a 2nd round pick from a few years ago. Because he will eventually earn it.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I'm not saying I know what's best for the team simply drawing parallels between what Bylsma did what Sullivan appears to be doing now.

Carl Hagelin has 3 goals in 48 games, one of which was an empty netter. He is getting time on Malkins wing while Sprong is headed back to the AHL. It doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

I'm just saying, I tend to trust the coaches and GM over us. Hagelin makes $4 million and is a damn good defensive/penalty killer in spite of his offensive lapses. That's why he's playing over Sprong.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I'm just saying, I tend to trust the coaches and GM over us. Hagelin makes $4 million and is a damn good defensive/penalty killer in spite of his offensive lapses. That's why he's playing over Sprong.

I get that. But this season isn't the same as the last. It's tough to have guys like Hagelin and Rowney in the lineup regularly when you are near the bottom in 5v5 goals.

The Pens hot streak of late is due primarily to a scorching hot power play.

I think we can agree that the team as currently constructed has holes, especially at 3C. Until you get that player, guys are going to be slotted out of place.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I get that. But this season isn't the same as the last. It's tough to have guys like Hagelin and Rowney in the lineup regularly when you are near the bottom in 5v5 goals.

The Pens hot streak of late is due primarily to a scorching hot power play.

I think we can agree that the team as currently constructed has holes, especially at 3C. Until you get that player, guys are going to be slotted out of place.

I can see a domino effect if the Pens can find a way to get rid of Hagelin, but I don't see a 3C coming that's any better than Sheahan.

Who I think is fine at 3C, 4C is the bigger problem in my opinion. Not that Sheahan is the best 3C in the league, but line of Guentzel/Sheahan/Kessel would be at least as good as the HBK line. Put Simon or try DiPauli with Kuhnhackl and Reaves, find a way to jettison Hagelin and call it a day. Sheary/Crosby/Sprong and Rust/Malkin/Hornqvist to round out the 4 lines.

If they can find a way to upgrade over Sheahan, fine, but looking at rosters and salary cap hits, I'm hard pressed to find a 3C that won't be overpayment or isn't any better than what the team has now.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 am

Think Sprong started his stint really well, hard on the boards, taking care of his defensive duties and showing that wicked shot now and then. Good stats overall. But it does feel that in the last game against the Ducks he lost the strength in his skating and therefor was chasing the game somewhat. Maybe still some problems from the time he was injured or having the understandable difficulties adjusting to NHL-level. Either way do believe he will work on what needs to be worked on and come back stronger. Do hope we trade for a good 3c. Sheahan on the fourth with Reaves and Kuhnackl looked promising and comfortable for all players involved. But in the end whatever happens with call-ups or trades it's gonna be a dog fight anyways in the Metropolitan. Everything from first till eight is still possible. And being Dutch I did some deep thinking and soul searching in how to translate tough love but couldn't come up with something relatable so will translate direct on this one, tough love=harde liefde.
sirik71

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 am

Pitts wrote:
Jim wrote:

Sprong on RW, Sheary on LW (where he normally plays) and Simon down. But they apparently didn't want to go that way in order to keep Sprong up and getting NHL experience.

I just get the feeling that he is not listening to what they are telling him. You don't listen, you play in the minors. You play in the minors and it hits you in the wallet. He will NOT cash in this summer with his RFA status. Maybe the contract negotiations, and his low $ "bridge" contract", will snap him in line.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:47 am

Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Jim wrote:

Sprong on RW, Sheary on LW (where he normally plays) and Simon down. But they apparently didn't want to go that way in order to keep Sprong up and getting NHL experience.

I just get the feeling that he is not listening to what they are telling him. You don't listen, you play in the minors. You play in the minors and it hits you in the wallet. He will NOT cash in this summer with his RFA status. Maybe the contract negotiations, and his low $ "bridge" contract", will snap him in line.

While that may or may not prove true.. The reasoning that Sheary LW keeps Sprong up is a falsehood, else you'd be seeing Simon as RW. But that's another matter.

Sully wants either Guentzel or Sheary on RW with Crosby. Don't ask me why. Guentzel as 3C made a hole there. Dea as 4C, Sheahan 3C hole closed.

Then we have Hörnqvist, Kessel and Reaves. None of them will sit for a guy coming up.

Sprong is down in WB because Jake cant 3C and GMJR traded for Reaves. Simple as that.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 am

So, I wandered back to DK's site today, and saw he had a piece that started about Sprong and why he was sent back to WBS. In a nutshell, he isn't thinking the game fast enough yet. There's times where he just kind of blanks out. DK talked to Kuhnhackl, who described his experience coming up through Penguins organization. Kuhnhackl was a pretty good goal scorer back in Germany, but when he got sent to Wheeling, Guering flat out told him he needs to pick it up in other areas, because his skating isn't going to get him a lot of scoring chances in the NHL. Kuhnhackl worked with Donatelli in Wheeling on play away from the puck, and Kuhnhackl talked about how early on, he would just be skating in the neutral zone waiting for a pass instead of really thinking about who was out there with him, where would be a better position to be, etc.

Sprong talked to DK after he has already been told he was going to WBS, and Sprong just talked about getting better. Said he does a lot of video work with Recchi, said he tried to talk to Crosby as much as possible, and picked Hagelin's brain a lot about going into the corners and working for the puck. Sounds like he has the right attitude, and knows what he needs to step up on to get another shot.

Speaking of Hagelin, DK asked him why the sudden outburst. While Hagelin didn't flat out say this, it sounds like he is just now getting over his past foot injury. Hagelin spoke about having his balance and "feeling right" while out there skating now. Says its not really something you can see just by someone watching him, but he now feels "right" on his skates and his balance, and that is the biggest reason why he is starting to come around offensively.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am

Check outside for flying pigs or for frozen over hell.......Ryan Reaves last player off the ice today. Looking like if Rust is ready to come back into the lineup, Reaves could be a healthy scratch.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am

Casey DeSmith is again getting the start tonight. Rust a game time decision per Sully.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am

FLPensFan wrote:Check outside for flying pigs or for frozen over hell.......Ryan Reaves last player off the ice today. Looking like if Rust is ready to come back into the lineup, Reaves could be a healthy scratch.

There will be a game in the Inner Circle Stadium between the Flyers and Caps.

Look for a Simon scratch.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am

I have nothing against DeSmith, but is Jarry hurt or something?
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:I have nothing against DeSmith, but is Jarry hurt or something?

No, and Sully said this has nothing to do with Jarry or how he has played. It is simply a case of DeSmith playing really well the last few games and Sully wants to ride the hot hand.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:I have nothing against DeSmith, but is Jarry hurt or something?

No, and Sully said this has nothing to do with Jarry or how he has played. It is simply a case of DeSmith playing really well the last few games and Sully wants to ride the hot hand.

I don't like playing your third string goalie in a divisional game as we sit outside of the playoff brackets. At least I thought the dept chart was clearly defined?
I understand not making a lineup change coming off a road win, so the SJ start made sense for DeSmith. But while he played well, that's the third straight start for the third string goalie.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins