Edge likes Sid

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Edge likes Sid

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:51 pm

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/magazine/thelastword.html

Who do you like better: Crosby or Ovechkin?

Edge: Crosby. Ovechkin might end up with more points, but as an all-around player I think down the road everyone will realize Crosby is more important to his team. He’s more than an individual with impressive point totals.


Yes, its a WWE wrestler that said this, but he is Canadian. They know what they are talking aboot up there, eh?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,586
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Shutter Island

Postby NIN on Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:55 pm

Last season was the first and the last time Ovechkin outscores Crosby, and yes, he is moslty right.
NIN
 

Postby owtahear on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 pm

NIN wrote:Last season was the first and the last time Ovechkin outscores Crosby, and yes, he is moslty right.


Ding, ding, ding.

Right answer.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Postby eastonpensfan on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:20 pm

Ovechkin takes a ton of shots, and with the quality of his shots, a lot will go in. But, I think it's fairly obvious to most hockey people that Crosby is more of an all-around player and the one that I would choose if I needed to build a team around them.

Crosby can make all of his teammates better; Ovechkin needs someone to feed him so that he can take his shots.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,442
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: on the Professional Noodling Tour

Postby kovyman1127 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:24 pm

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Admin - Can we delete every post that is an AO vs. SC comparison?
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:34 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Admin - Can we delete every post that is an AO vs. SC comparison?


no
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,700
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Nevin Shapiro A&M

Postby Defence21 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:55 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Admin - Can we delete every post that is an AO vs. SC comparison?

Uh oh...board police, pull over!

Good Lord. If you don't like it, don't read it. Tough stuff, I know.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,519
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Postby André on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:42 am

eastonpensfan wrote:Ovechkin takes a ton of shots, and with the quality of his shots, a lot will go in. But, I think it's fairly obvious to most hockey people that Crosby is more of an all-around player and the one that I would choose if I needed to build a team around them.

Crosby can make all of his teammates better; Ovechkin needs someone to feed him so that he can take his shots.


That's what I thought and hoped as well. Still, when asked before this season the vast majority of NHL GM's picked Ovechkin as the league's best player. Who knows though, they might've just been annoyed over the survery and quickly chosen Ovechkin since he's so popular =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,366
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:29 am

I think Crosby wears cleaner underwear than Ovechkin too....that means he's better than AO.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:31 am

NIN wrote:Last season was the first and the last time Ovechkin outscores Crosby


Right....and Crosby has much more talent around him....not a fair comparison.

But hey, were on this board to bash AO (even though if he was a Pen we would worship him)....but because he isn't he sucks....YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:34 am

kovyman1127 wrote:
NIN wrote:Last season was the first and the last time Ovechkin outscores Crosby


Right....and Crosby has much more talent around him....not a fair comparison.

But hey, were on this board to bash AO (even though if he was a Pen we would worship him)....but because he isn't he sucks....YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!


Actually, you'll never meet a bigger AO fan than me. However, Sid is better. Sid just happens to play for my #1 team. It's easy to see how that makes me look like a homer, so I guess you'll just have to deal with that. I think that eventually you will also need to come up with better excuses than "surrounding talent" in this cap era of hockey.
NIN
 

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:57 am

Actually, you'll never meet a bigger AO fan than me. However, Sid is better. Sid just happens to play for my #1 team. It's easy to see how that makes me look like a homer, so I guess you'll just have to deal with that. I think that eventually you will also need to come up with better excuses than "surrounding talent" in this cap era of hockey.


"surrounding talent" not a factor eh? So, you wouldn't care one way or the other having Malkin on your wing or Zubris??

There is no "proof" yet that Sid IS the better player (it's a fact). If anything, you would have to give AO the edge because of last year.

But, hometown bias (like media bias) is just a figment of one's imagination.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 am

Compare Steve Yzerman to Pavel Bure.

Two great player but compare them and its like apples to oranges..

Same thing between SC and AO. There really is no comparison because they are 2 entirely different type of players.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,082
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Somewhere between point A and point B

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:07 am

Hawkeynut wrote:Same thing between SC and AO. There really is no comparison because they are 2 entirely different type of players.


Amen. And Hawkeynut, you have to agree this CONSTANT "bash AO and pump Sid up" comparison thing on this board is endless (and pointless).

After a few seasons I could even see this being discussed...but they both only have one year under their belts...
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 am

kovyman1127 wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:Same thing between SC and AO. There really is no comparison because they are 2 entirely different type of players.


Amen. And Hawkeynut, you have to agree this CONSTANT "bash AO and pump Sid up" comparison thing on this board is endless (and pointless).

After a few seasons I could even see this being discussed...but they both only have one year under their belts...


Oh I don't mind bashing AO.. It's what my job as a Penguin fan is.. any player on Washington deserves a good bashing from time to time. I grew up watching the constant playoff battles between the Pens and Caps.

But I absolutly agree that comparing these 2 kids with no retrospect is pointless and useless. But I don't mind reading articles from people who try. Heck, I still read articles trying to compare Lemieux and Gretzky and I have YET to see many similarities between those 2 lads beisdes the fact they made others around them better.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,082
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Somewhere between point A and point B

Postby Steve on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Sid played the 2nd half of the season with a waiver wire pickup from chicago (the only team worse then the pens) and Armstrong, who didn't play in the NHL until Jan.

I disagree with some other posts about AO though, he is one of the few players in the league who can generate offense regardless of who is on his line. He's going to win his share of scoring titles/MVP awards in his career.

(but Sid is going to win more) ;)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:20 pm

Steve wrote:(but Sid is going to win more) ;)


Bias - a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby Steve on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:21 pm

Amen. And Hawkeynut, you have to agree this CONSTANT "bash AO and pump Sid up" comparison thing on this board is endless (and pointless).

After a few seasons I could even see this being discussed...but they both only have one year under their belts...


Yea, comparing/contrasting two phenoms like Crosby and AO on a message board is pointless. :roll:
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,754
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Postby netwolf on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:24 pm

NIN wrote:Sid just happens to play for my #1 team.


When did the Pens trade Crosby to the Wild? Did they get anyone good in return?
Last edited by netwolf on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,799
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby minimal on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:01 pm

I had a chance to watch Ovechkin last night here in Calgary, and while he did not bust out any highlight real goals, he was impressive. Hell, he even (attempted) a big mid-ice hit at one point. Most impressive was his acceleration, least impressive, his lazy back-check. While he ain't no Crosby, he is one special player, and it was a real treat to watch him play.

M.
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Calgary

Postby mitchrock on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:44 pm

Thank you Edge!


Before this season I only saw a little bit of both Crosby and Ovechkin. This year I have Center ICe and have really noticed how Crosby seems to be a much better all around player than Ovechkin. Crosby is way better defensively than Ovechkin and passes better. OVechkin has an amazing shot and speed. Both are great players, but now that we are over 10 games into the season, I have to give the edge to Crosby.

What is even more amazing to me is Malkin. That guy is just sick. Crosby and MAlkin Combo is not only great for the Pens but will be great for the NHL as well. They keep playing like they do and they will help bring the spotlight back on the NHL.
Last edited by mitchrock on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchrock
 

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:49 pm

minimal wrote: While he ain't no Crosby


And Crosby aint' no Ovechkin.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:57 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:
minimal wrote: While he ain't no Crosby


And Crosby aint' no Ovechkin.


Thank god for that!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,418
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Fast B on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:58 pm

Sid's hair >> Ovechkin's hair,
therefore Sid > Ovechkin.

QED.

:)
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,141
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby kovyman1127 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:07 pm

mitchrock wrote: but now that we are over 10 games into the season, I have to give the edge to Crosby


Riggght....evaluate on 10 games...not based on the previous 82 of last year when Ovechkin scored more points (or in the years to come)....that's good.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail