Favorite all time Penguin

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Favorite all time Penguin

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:24 am

For me it is an obscure goalie named Dunc Wilson, played for the Pens in the late 70's. Had a reputation for partying a bit too much but had a few solid years here, and had a very cool mask with white stripes with stars on it on a blue background henceforth the nickname "Rebel".

I'm sure some guy named "Mario" will pop up here a lot.....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Favorite all time Penguin

Postby pekkasteele on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:17 am

Of course there are Mario, Ron, Jags etc. But the more interessting part is the "odd" favorites, like your Dunc. For me it was, well, I almost don't dare to say, but I really liked Norm Maciver, I can't recall really what it was, but, when I could pick a number for my floorball team, I picked 22 like him!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:28 am

Yep, can't be anybody but the big guy for me. I have a bunch of poor quality VHS and DVDs that I exchanged with someone of a bunch of his games (as well as some others)....first goal game, 5 goals against the Rangers, 5 goals against STL (with the great Twist-Leroux fight), 5 goals 8 points against the Flyers (the Hextall chases brown game). There just will never be another guy like that in my eyes. He is the greatest player to play the game in my eyes. That is not a slight on Gretzky or Howe or Orr, who are right up there with him in that top. The thing about those other 3 that everyone seems to overlook, is they ALL played on the most dominant team in the NHL during their peak production. The Wings were a powerhouse and stacked team in the 50's. The Bruins were stacked in the 70's, and Edmonton was just an All-Star lineup in the early 80's. Lemieux put up 100 points 5 years in a row (above 140 3 of those years) with NOBODY on his team. The 199 point season, he had Rob Brown (who Lemieux MADE a scorer) and Paul Coffey. Can you imagine how many points Lemieux would have had if he actually had top flight passers and finishers on his team to start his career. Between lack of talent around him and the injuries, if he would have played on a more dominant team and not had back, knee, cancer......I really do think he would be holding most of Gretzky's records.

Aside from Lemieux, MAF, Jagr, Crosby are some of my favorites.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby longtimefan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 am

You almost have to ask other than Mario. No player ever drafted in any sport, no player who has ever played for a franchise, has had the impact on that franchise that Mario has had on the Pens. From a career that puts him on hockey's Mt Rushmore, to saving the team out of bankruptcy, to winning three cups as an owner. Not to mention that I personally feel he's the greatest player, and greatest talent, that
I ever saw play.

I remember Dunc. He had a stellar season while sharing the crease in '76-'77 with Denny Heron. The Pens snuck into the playoffs with 81 points in an 80 game season. IIRC, he kind of saved the season when they acquired him after Heron went down. He was a very colorful character. Not only the confederate mask, but his general demeanor. I remember him getting into a few fights, and infamously taking his glove off and giving the bird to the fans heckling him behind the net. I liked Dunc.

For me, outside of Mario, I'd have to say Pierre Larouche. I fell in love for good with the Pens when Pierre was a rookie, on what was their greatest team pre-Lemieux. I had followed them previously, but that was a magical season. They were suddenly an offensive machine, and he was the scrawny 18 year old French Canadian kid who looked to be about 13. He thrived by popping 31 goals and 68 points as the third line center. He was frail looking, and this was right in the middle of the Broad Street Bullies reign. But the Pens had Bob "Battleship" Kelly riding shotgun. Argue all you want about today's game, I know the Battleship was a deterrent. Nobody tried to intimidate the kid. He started his second season here as a beloved player, and scored 55 goals and 111 points in his second season. A season he started as a 19 year old. Too much success too soon though, as he became difficult, and ultimately forced his way out of Pittsburgh via trade. He didn't know how good he had it. He figured it out later though, as he's a fixture next to Mario in the owner's box. It gave me a strong feeling of irony when I saw him and Mario embrace after Hornqvist's empty net goal in San Jose clinched the 4th cup. In my mind, a confluence of Penguin eras. Frome Larouche, to Mario, to Crosby and Malkin on the ice. I've been a Pens fan since '68, but my love for the team was forever cemented during Larouche's rookie season.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 am

Alexei Kovalev.

When he came over from the Rangers in that Nedved deal I was so excited. I remember seeing him play with the Rangers and thought he could be a 40 goal scorer with the Pens. He only did it once, but his combination of shot, skating, and puck handling was mesmerizing.

One of the few guys you just couldn't take your eyes off of when he was on the ice.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby theblackarts on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Jim Paek. No joke. Played as him in NHL 94 and collected all of his hockey cards.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ville5 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:29 pm

MAF. Is there a nicer person in sports history? And he's pretty good at hockey too.
Mario, Ulf, Siren and Tommy B round out the top 5.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Ian Moran and Tyler Wright.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Marty Straka is one of favorites after Mario.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sams_Dog on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Mario is, and will always be, my favorite player. Not just on the Pens but in the NHL. But other than him I would say Paul Coffey. I loved watching him skate and he was such a great offensive player. He and Lemieux clicked immediately and they were dynamite to watch. If I had a dollar for every time I saw 77 feed 66 on that left side for a one timer goal I could buy a case of vintage Mario Bun Bars on eBay.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Other than Mario: Rick Tocchet.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Moose Hedberg from the "Dark Days". I was at his first home start with that light blue mask of his. When interviewed after the game he said he thought it strange that the home fans were booing him when he made a save. He had to be told they weren't booing but saying Mooose. I still have my foam moose antlers they gave away at that since closed restaurant. Name escapes me at the moment. It was nice in an otherwise dismal time for Pens fans.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Daniel Sprong.
Not a fair question, as he's Dutch too.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:57 am

Jim wrote:Ian Moran and Tyler Wright.

Wright was one of my favs.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 am

Jagr is the reason I started watching hockey and following the pens so he is number one.
MAF with his big smile during every game.

But the more little unknowns.
Talbot, Loved when he came up and showed so much energy.
Melichar - Yes I know...
Hans Jonsson - There was a poster here that liked Hans too.... but he was ran out of this place because everyone hated Hans :D
Dick Tärnström - The great Dick!
The Moose
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:08 am

Other than 66:

Jean Pronovost, George Ferguson, Paul Baxter, Alex Kovalev
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nihar on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 am

Someone mentioned Norm Maciver and I too had an irrational love for him. For other non-Mario/Jagr/Sid/Malkin, just slightly under the radar faves, I'll list, in chronological order:

Doug Bodger
Joey Mullen
Larry Murphy
Bob Errey (who I always thought was "the piece" in '90-'92, and so the Mike Ramsey trade was a dynasty killer)
SERGEI ZUBOV (irrationally maybe my favorite of all)
Luc Robitaille
Marty Straka
Alexei Kovalev
Dick Tarnstrom during the truly dark days
Gary Roberts
Matt Cullen

We've been spoiled at the level of both superstars and supporting cast!
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 am

1 Ron Francis
2 Mario Lemieux
3 Sidney Crosby
4 Geno Malkin
5 Marc-Andre Fleury
6 Alexei Kovalev
7 Martin Straka
8 Mike Bullard
9 Rick Kehoe
10 Max Talbot

Honorable Mentions: Ulf Samuelsson, Larry Murphy, Michel Dion, Rob Brown, Phil Kessel, Paul Gardner, Jaromir Jagr
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 am

Tyler Wright. He got into a fight with one of the heavy weights of his time the guy was twice his size and he called him on. He has been one of my favorites since.

Jagr... watching him was a real treat.

Ulf and Kasparitise.. 2 of the toughest guys and both were great open ice hitters.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghThing on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:52 am

Am I the only Trots fan on this board?!
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am

1. Mario
2a. Geno
2b. Fleury
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 am

no name wrote:Tyler Wright. He got into a fight with one of the heavy weights of his time the guy was twice his size and he called him on. He has been one of my favorites since.

Jagr... watching him was a real treat.

Ulf and Kasparitise.. 2 of the toughest guys and both were great open ice hitters.

I remember Wright going against 6,6 Worrell from the Panthers. Was sad when he was lost in the expansion draft.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 am

For some reason, I always liked Slegr. Barnaby was fun to watch. Loved Morozov’s reaction when Kaspar KO’d Lindros.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fat Old Frank on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Jim wrote:Ian Moran and Tyler Wright.

Get off the ice Moran!

Used to have seats above the right faceoff dot where Kovalev scored half his goals. What a shot he had.
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Glad we have veered into liking more than one Pen. I have favorite Pens from different eras.

Bryan "Bugsy" Watson (fearless)
Jean Pronovost (smooth)
Ulf (tough)
Lucky Pierre (pure goal scorer)
The Young Jagr (what a treat to watch)
And of course, Mario and The Kid (who is now 30 yo)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins