Sprong is an analytics guy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sprong is an analytics guy

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 am

Corey Pronman of the Athletic has been someone that does a lot of research, scouting, etc of top prospects. He recently talked to some players at the AHL All-Star game, and put out an article about an hour ago. Sprong was the first person he talked to, and, while Pronman is a big analytics guy, he says he finds most players not very interested in analytics.....and was a bit surprised when Sprong brought them up without prompted

Highlights of the 3 or 4 questions Pronman had with Sprong:

---Was asked if his recent stint in NHL made him feel he could play at that level. Sprong said he thinks he belongs in the NHL, but they have a healthy lineup so he just has to wait for his opportunity. Here is where Sprong pointed out that his puck possession and shots on goal stats were pretty high, and he thought he was effective.

---Pronman asked if he liked looking at that stuff....Sprong: I like looking at [analytics]. It shows how much you hold the puck for in a game or how many shots you’re generating. It’s creative stuff and with the technology in the league, it’s getting bigger and bigger. It’s nice after games to see how you did in those areas. If your numbers are lower, you see what work you have to do to get more touches or make more plays.

---Pronman asked if Sam Ventura (Pens analytics guy) was the one who showed him, and he said no his trainer Daryl Belfrey has been tracking his games for some time. Belfrey also works with P. Kane and Tavares.

---Final question was about his defense, where Pronman said many people, himself included, have said Sprong's main issue is his defensive play. Do you feel that is unfair?
Sprong: In juniors that was a fair assessment, but over the last two years and especially this year, I think I’ve taken a big step. I’m a more complete player. I want to keep working on those areas to be an NHL player, but I feel like I’m going in the right direction.

Nothing earth shattering here, but did find it interesting that Sprong looks at the stats/analytics side more than a lot of other players probably do.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Sprong is an analytics guy

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 am

Well, if the only thing that you can point to and say "See, I do good" is wackadoodle advanced stats... then naturally you are going to bring them up.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Jim wrote:Well, if the only thing that you can point to and say "See, I do good" is wackadoodle advanced stats... then naturally you are going to bring them up.

I actually think Sprong comes off pretty well in that exchange. If his attitude is that he needs to keep working at his game to improve, bide his time but feels confident he can contribute when called upon, I'm not sure you can ask for a better attitude while in the AHL.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:Well, if the only thing that you can point to and say "See, I do good" is wackadoodle advanced stats... then naturally you are going to bring them up.

I actually think Sprong comes off pretty well in that exchange. If his attitude is that he needs to keep working at his game to improve, bide his time but feels confident he can contribute when called upon, I'm not sure you can ask for a better attitude while in the AHL.

:thumb:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins