Game 53 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 53 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 am

Pens win 7-4

- Feels AMAZING when the Pens thump a rival at home... but this game was 4-4 in the 3rd period... could have gone either way!
- Do not discount how the Pens are in the heads of rival goalies... Holtby & Lundqvist are both :oops:
- Everything that Geno touches near the net is going in. Just like you can't easily flip the switch, let's hope turning off the taps is hard for Geno! Keep them coming
- Confidence from top to bottom with this team right now. Oleksiak & Reaves were able to have fine lookiong rushes based on the consistent forward pushes every line is bringing
- Here is to hoping that Horny is okay. Orpik got him with a clean hit and his inputs will be missed. With ZAR called up, we'll see if the early "ZAR plays like Horny" comparison is accurate
- Caps defence looked very suspect last night...Bowey & Djoos looked bad and were abused often
- SID, would you please get #400 tonight, get this over with! I'm tired of telling family & friends who come into the room during a game to "Sit down, Sid's about to score a historic goal!" - a running joke @home
- Phil coming down the right side should have EVERYONE up in their seats, just like it did for the old greats... Lafleur, Mario... hell even Coffey used to get people up off their keisters..... #PhilTHEthrill
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 53 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

The stares up into the rafters that Hotby gave after at least two of the goals and on the bench after getting pulled was reminiscent of the playoffs meme “There’s a third round?”.

Letang can’t get walked like he was by Ovie. Poor anticipation by Kris, could tell Ovie wasn’t just going to rip a shot from the circle on that play with Murray in place. Even still, Muzz made the save, only to have the puck bounce in off of Dumo.

Oshie and Tom Wilson share a place in my hatred for the Caps. I haven’t seen the replay, but I assume it will be said Cole lowered himself a moment before Wilson’s hit to create the check to the head?
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 pm

NHL Player Safety
‏Verified account @NHLPlayerSafety
50m50 minutes ago
Washington’s T. J. Oshie fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for cross-checking Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang.

Oshie is perfect with the punk arse CAPS! Player safety- absolute joke.

Healing vibes Patric!
I loved Hagelin's goal, reminded me of late in game 6 Nashville. Rust and Hagelin contributing is very good.
The penguin trinity of Sid, Evgeni, and Phil; like somebody wrote all stars, every game.
Phil had a dazzling pass to Jake or Sheahan in the 1st.
Ovechkin; I respect that he can score goals at will.

In the 2nd, after Hornqvist's goal, Holtby's feelings were hurt and he was complaining about something?
Then I saw the ref come over and have a quiet moment of counseling!
Somebody put their hands in the air to celebrate?

Dear Sid, a nice symmetry to score 1st goal in NJ and to get the 400th~good luck!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows.

Postby longtimefan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Everybody wants Sid to get #400 asap..... But if he doesn't tonight, his next opportunity will be at home Tuesday night. Against MAF! :)
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm

- Forgot to mention that Maatta took a hit and seemed to be "even slower" afterwards. Hopefully he's okay, because he was really good last night and almost had 2-3 go in.
- I would not be surprised to see a sub or two for tonight... Pens have played a lot of hockey, and while riding the winning team is great, there is advantages for have guys not sitting for too long
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 pm

I noticed Maatta slow down after that hit also Penspal. Both he and Hornqvist are playing some of their best hockey right now. Definitely hope nothing serious for either one.

- holy cow did we win the Oleksiak trade or what. Looked like our best all around dman last night. Crazy.
- agree Sheahan showing some chemistry with Kessel and Jake makes things interesting.
- the biggest loser in Sheahan moving to 3C is obviously Reaves. He had a great start with a big hit on Caps dman, hitting Ovie to the ground for chillin in Murray's crease, and even had a few nice offensive rushes early... But he lost many pucks in the Ozone and could not maintain cycles/possession. Reaves centered by Rowney was disappointing last night.
- Simon is getting more drfensive attention. Less space. Looks like he was deferring to Sid more. Did not play bad, but not great either.
- Agreed on Hags and Rust. Looking great. Love it.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:49 pm

--Yeah, Sheahan's looking good with Guentzel and Kessel. I can't believe that line didn't get another goal on that one flurry of chances right around the net in the 2nd.
--They still need another center. Crosby and Malkin were double-shifting with the 4th line often, and that's no way to make a long playoff run.
--Murray played a pretty good game for a guy who let in 4 goals.
--There are still plenty of little errors that can be cleaned up, especially coming out of their own zone. The Caps are a good team and make it tough to exit the zone cleanly, but there were still too many times when guys weren't getting to loose pucks right inside their blueline, making the wrong decision with passes, etc. In a way I think this is good, since even though they're winning, there's still room for improvement.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Here is Oshie's response to the fine, in case anyone was interested:
https://twitter.com/TarikNBCS/status/959844728614342656

What's really upsetting is that you can tell he honestly doesn't understand the difference between cross checking someone in the head/neck area and a couple of gloves punches. I get it that he thought he was wronged, and sure, Letang definitely earned his penalty, but comparing apples to oranges and hopping on this "we don't know what a suspension is" bandwagon is just embarrassing.

Otherwise:
-Letang was hot garbage in his own zone. His offensive instincts are spot on - that part of the game has definitely rounded back into form - but my god, letting Ovechkin go right around him was just awful. To make matters worse, he decided to cover no one instead of anyone, including Ovechkin, when he got out of the box after his matching penalty with Oshie. Of course, the pass goes right through him to the open man - Ovechkin. He's lucky that the team is scoring in front of him now and that the good is starting to tip in favor of the bad, but it feels like he is responsible for every 5v5 goal against when he's on the ice.
-Here's hoping Oleksiak's honeymoon carries into the playoffs. He's just been awesome.
-Felt like Cole took a step back last night. Sully hasn't come out and said what it is that irks him about Cole's game, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was Cole's tendency to turn to defense so quickly. I'm sure that is his comfort zone so he has no issues collapsing into his own zone, but the rest of the team is, suffice to say, lacking in defensive acumen.
-Phil. That's all.
-Geno has about 17 goals that have deflected off defenders this year. If he's ever going to win the Rocket, this is the year. I'd love to see him duel with Ovie for that title down the stretch.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens win 7-4

- Feels AMAZING when the Pens thump a rival at home... but this game was 4-4 in the 3rd period... could have gone either way!

Pens are skating again and teams can't play with them for 3 periods. It's been the biggest missing ingredient this year until recent games. In the past teams could stay with them for a couple periods but couldn't skate with them in the third. Pens would pull away or come from behind to steal a point or a game. It's back. We saw it against the Sharks earlier this week and again last night with the Caps.

Pens opponents in the third period -> :scared: :slug:
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:

Pens are skating again and teams can't play with them for 3 periods. It's been the biggest missing ingredient this year until recent games. In the past teams could stay with them for a couple periods but couldn't skate with them in the third. Pens would pull away or come from behind to steal a point or a game. It's back. We saw it against the Sharks earlier this week and again last night with the Caps.

So do you think they were taking it easy the first half to save their legs for the stretch?
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:

So do you think they were taking it easy the first half to save their legs for the stretch?

Honestly feels that way...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:

I don't know what the motivation was. Fatigue, malaise, burnout, apathy, confidence, urgency, chemistry, maybe grieving for lost comrades like Flower and Kunitz. Whatever it was they've clearly turned the corner, flipped the switch, pulled the trigger, hit the gas. God help the rest of the league.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Very grateful to have made a road trip and attended this game. Been a while since I'd seen a Pens-Caps game outside of DC (or Landover).

I'm a Cole fan but he had a rough night.

Holtby is a great goalie except against one team. I don't know if the Pens are in his head, but I know he's not in theirs.

Everyone knows that Kessel's shot is unique, but his vision seems to be, too. He can pick a spot like no other.

Couldn't fault Murray on three of the goals. He made some timely saves.

Decent number of Caps fans there and I saw lots of low-key, friendly interactions between them and the home fans. Different story in May, I'd guess.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guentzel/PenguinsFan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:06 am

I went to this game and it was a good one a lot of action between two rivals great game!
Guentzel/PenguinsFan

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins