Anyone else see this on TSN - Tor - Atl Game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:48 am

Brode wrote:Crosby MUST go to Toronto, because he is the new Gretzky. And you all remember Gretzky's days as a Maple Leaf.

I don't think ol #99 wanted to play for the Leafs for 1 reason. The pressure for being a superstar in either Toronto or Montreal. As you notice neither team has had a "superstar" kind of player in ages. The pressure is just too much in those markets, you are consistantly analyzed for the team's follies. Its retarded actually. The pressure is especially great in Toronto where they haven't won a cup since the Pen's were expanded into the league.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:56 am

Scott wrote:You heard it here, there is no way in hell Crosby will be playing for another team. *

*Unless of course he starts dying alive :roll:

I know you're jesting here, but the is exactly the reason why all this hand-wringing about Staal's free agency kicking in makes no sense at all. We have three studs at center, but it's impossible to predict the future. One of them could start "dying alive", one could have a career-ending injury, or one could end up being very happy playing left wing. In any case, in keeping Staal Shero did what was best for the short term, and the long term is something we can't predict.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:29 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
NIN wrote:Jesus Christ. I love how as soon as the team starts having EVEN JUST ALITTLE BIT of success. I mean, 6 win...everybody is ready to break up the band. It's surreal.

I agree.

I think we should trade Crosby now. :roll:

Just shoot me now...before the pens leave for the west
coast, before team comes down with bird flu out there.
Before____________________________ fill in the blank!

New owner, in my crystal ball forecast, seems the type to
want the best, seems to be doing okay marketing his own fortune.
Guessing that he will do all to keep Sid. What I remember about
Wayne in LA is that his owner fell from grace and it was a smoke
and mirrors show, hockey that is , in LA. Sid seems to have a
clear vision and mission of what he wants; winning and cups.
I don't see him as a red carpet person. Being the face of hockey
and being tabloid quite different things.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:54 am

jwest21 wrote:here is an article on Nonis's thoughts
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2643915

All Nonis was saying is the new FA rules deprive the fan of seeing a team grow together, since invariably some key cogs will get overpaid by outside teams. Winning teams will get picked at, and they have little choice of anything other than locking up the top guys (ala Tampa Bay) and filling out the roster.

Really, I think the real concern should be how other GMs leverage the RFA rule. That is why everyone was so p*ssed at Clarke for the Kesler thing, because while Kesler is not a superstar ala Crosby or Malkin, and team with Cap space and no dominant young players could offer them a goofy number and at the very least destroy another team's salary structure.

Life under a Cap, but the converse wasn't working for Pittsburgh anyway.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stopper40 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 pm

NIN wrote:Jesus Christ. I love how as soon as the team starts having EVEN JUST ALITTLE BIT of success. I mean, 6 win...everybody is ready to break up the band. It's surreal.

I agree, hell they may not even be here when it comes contract time for Crosby. I'm just going to enjoy this ride while it lasts
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:29 pm

NIN wrote:I mean, 6 win...everybody is ready to break up the band. It's surreal.

Almost as surreal as having them moved out of town already.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins