Game 54 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 54 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 am

Pens lose 3-1

- Bob Errey said numerous times late broadcast vs Caps.... "I don't know about tomorrow night, the Pens are leaving it ALL out there tonight". When he said it, I didn't believe it.... I do now!
- This was not the same team as the night prior, and it had nothing to do with not having Horny (or being such). This was a fatigued and unmotivated squad
- While its upsetting, this is not playoffs, b2b's are not even or fair, but again, its not playoffs.. That's when it counts to get back up and win.
- Didn't see much from ZAR, one game and in this stinker, too hard to tell.
- Pens D seem to be getting beat lately with the go wide and cut to the net late play. Have seen it successful a few times in the last few games.... another adjustment needed
- Geno keeps sliding them in while Sid is snakebitten. Almost painful to watch and now, the Sidstreak is over.
- Such a boring game compared to the high flying game the night before, but the Pens have to be able to win at any style.... let's hope someone else takes care of the Devils... puhleaze!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 54 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby NJ Penguins Fan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 am

Attended the game last night. I believe as Penspal has said the Caps game took something out of them, they were outplayed and outmuscled in a lot of battles on the boards.
The Devils are not that bad; they play a team game. They have no real superstar but some above average quality players. They know their roles & play them well.
I felt 3 players had a tough night Oliie, Jake & Rowney. Ollie had trouble controlling the puck & lost some battles but he has been by far better than worse this year. Just a bad game it happens. Jake I can't figure out. Again had chances didn't convert, I feel his defense is suspect, seems to lose the physical battles. Sophomore slump maybe. Rowney brings the 4th line down. Below average offensively. I don't think you can successfull roll 4 lines with him as your center, rather have Dea there but Sully is not fond of the rookies this year.
Last thought is watching Phil on the ice, loves to be stationed at center ice when the puck gets dumped in our defensive zone. It seems like he plays defense only when necessary. You don't see his positioning on TV. It's just an observation, not knocking the system at all because it is working for him.
I know they will take care of the Devils in the remaing three games. Keep the faith. LGP.
By the way the arena exploded when Geno scored. There are Pens fan all throughout the country!
NJ Penguins Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am

- Refs got it wrong too often. Yes, they did ruin any chance of a comeback surge, not saying our chances would've been any good, but at least they would've existed. I counted a whole bunch of Devil penalties in short succession. Instead they only manage to get their calls against the Pens rolling out, some phantom ones there for sure.
- I think it says something about the current league and player safety officiating that I applauded Kinkaid being toppled and getting a puck to the helmet as a consequence.
- 40 minutes of completely uninspired poo hockey. You deserve to lose at that point - still could've had winning chances as it was.
- DeSmith might want one back from the other night. But he kept the Pens within 2 on a total off-night. Not sure what else we can ask of a back up goaltender.
- Noticed Crosby, Guentzel, Letang, Rowney and Reaves. All very bad.

- Dea and Sprong both with goals in a 2-1 win over LeHigh Phantoms.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 pm

NJ Penguins Fan wrote:Attended the game last night. I believe as Penspal has said the Caps game took something out of them, they were outplayed and outmuscled in a lot of battles on the boards.
The Devils are not that bad; they play a team game. They have no real superstar but some above average quality players. They know their roles & play them well.
I felt 3 players had a tough night Oliie, Jake & Rowney. Ollie had trouble controlling the puck & lost some battles but he has been by far better than worse this year. Just a bad game it happens. Jake I can't figure out. Again had chances didn't convert, I feel his defense is suspect, seems to lose the physical battles. Sophomore slump maybe. Rowney brings the 4th line down. Below average offensively. I don't think you can successfull roll 4 lines with him as your center, rather have Dea there but Sully is not fond of the rookies this year.
Last thought is watching Phil on the ice, loves to be stationed at center ice when the puck gets dumped in our defensive zone. It seems like he plays defense only when necessary. You don't see his positioning on TV. It's just an observation, not knocking the system at all because it is working for him.
I know they will take care of the Devils in the remaing three games. Keep the faith. LGP.
By the way the arena exploded when Geno scored. There are Pens fan all throughout the country!

Definitely not Ollie's best game. I still think he took a shot last game and is not right. Maybe a game off might do him some good.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens lose 3-1

- Bob Errey said numerous times late broadcast vs Caps.... "I don't know about tomorrow night, the Pens are leaving it ALL out there tonight". When he said it, I didn't believe it.... I do now!
- This was not the same team as the night prior, and it had nothing to do with not having Horny (or being such). This was a fatigued and unmotivated squad
- While its upsetting, this is not playoffs, b2b's are not even or fair, but again, its not playoffs.. That's when it counts to get back up and win.
- Pens D seem to be getting beat lately with the go wide and cut to the net late play. Have seen it successful a few times in the last few games.... another adjustment needed
- Geno keeps sliding them in while Sid is snakebitten. Almost painful to watch and now, the Sidstreak is over.
- Such a boring game compared to the high flying game the night before, but the Pens have to be able to win at any style.... let's hope someone else takes care of the Devils... puhleaze!

It seemed like the biggest problem is the lines seemed to change every 2 minutes. This team has been successful for weeks with Simon/Crosby/Sheary - Hagelin/Malkin/Hornqvist - Jake/Sheahan/Phil - Kuhnhackl/4C/Reaves

I get you need to do some line changes with Hornqvist and Sheary out, but Rust replaces Sheary and ZAR replaces Hornqvist and move on. I get bringing up ZAR over Sprong, because it's said he plays the same style game as Hornqvist.

Last night it was mayhem with the line combinations. It seemed like Phil played the LW on one line, RW on another line, Malkin and Crosby played on all 4 lines, Kuhnhackl played with Malkin (wth?), for half a shift.

It was like musical chairs all night and we wonder why the Pens looked out of sync? Granted the Devils are a pretty good team and the Caps game took something out of them, but Sullivan didn't put them in a position to succeed.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Daniel wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens lose 3-1

It seemed like the biggest problem is the lines seemed to change every 2 minutes. This team has been successful for weeks with Simon/Crosby/Sheary - Hagelin/Malkin/Hornqvist - Jake/Sheahan/Phil - Kuhnhackl/4C/Reaves

I get you need to do some line changes with Hornqvist and Sheary out, but Rust replaces Sheary and ZAR replaces Hornqvist and move on. I get bringing up ZAR over Sprong, because it's said he plays the same style game as Hornqvist.
This ^

Last night it was mayhem with the line combinations. It seemed like Phil played the LW on one line, RW on another line, Malkin and Crosby played on all 4 lines, Kuhnhackl played with Malkin (wth?), for half a shift.

It was like musical chairs all night and we wonder why the Pens looked out of sync? Granted the Devils are a pretty good team and the Caps game took something out of them, but Sullivan didn't put them in a position to succeed.

Random line generator.
Refereeing.
Emotionally / Physically tired.
Everyone but Geno cold.
Devils do not suck.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm

This year's Devils = Last year's Senators. Unless they win the cup, they'll get no respect.

Kincaid is lucky. That flop after the interference really put him in a vulnerable spot. Sid played to the whistle for all the haters.

Bad match up for Reaves. Assume if lines are healthy, Reaves doesn't see the Devils again.

You can't expect penalty calls if you skate like they did for 38 minutes. Warranted or not.

I get back to backs. But both teams should be required to play the previous night.

Nice crowd reaction to Geno goal.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:11 pm

How the score wasn't 5-0 after 2 was about the only remarkable thing from last night. The Devils skated circles around the lethargic Pens and became a puck possession machine that just couldn't get more pucks into the net. Thorough domination.

Against a quick and relentless forecheck and pressure, Pens' D pretty much wilted. Maata and Schultz were both overpowered, coughed up pucks, lost coverage and were just in general, bad. Speaking of bad, don't forget pylon Letang! At least he took a good slashing penalty as Hall went around him to keep it from probably being in the back of the net. His overall play stunk last night. Dumo did OK for himself and Olesiak and Cole were decent enough but not much help in getting the pinned-in Pens out of their own end.

Forwards were nothing great either. Simon wristing shots into opponent's knee pads a foot away weren't impressive. Neither was his and Jake's inability to compete physically against not the biggest or heavy playing team out there. Sid left his legs and his game back in Pittsburgh. Malkin was putting forth an effort without much help. The lines were hot garbage all game and Sully didn't make it simple trying to account for no Hornqvist by throwing combos against the wall and seeing what might stick. I'm not opposed to juggling lines but it was juggling positions and confusion. At one point, Kessel forgot he wasn't at RW and then went over to assume the LW spot. Messy.

DeSmith did fine as backup goalie and kept them from getting beat worse. He misplayed one in front that caused a goal, but that happens. He gave a better effort than about 95% of the team.

Oh well, get ready for Vegas and MAF at home which has been hyped to death on the broadcasts for a few games. Who knows, maybe #400 for Sid.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Southern Fan wrote:I get back to backs. But both teams should be required to play the previous night.

I like this and agree. Every team should have same number of back to backs and both should play 2 in a row. Shouldn't be that hard to achieve or at least make it close... one team shouldn't get 18 b2b.....
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Bad effort thru first 40min killed it..

btw. whats the update on Horny??
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Bad effort thru first 40min killed it..

btw. whats the update on Horny??

Week to week, lbi
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby johnnews on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:26 pm

I was at the game, as well. As noted above, the arena totally exploded when Geno scored.

I kept an eye on ZAR. After getting stopped on an early chance, I though he handled himself just fine. Limited ice time, but he looks like he belongs.

In addition to Maata, Schultz went down a few times giving up chances. Letang had a rough night as well with a couple bad turnovers. And he had a nice view of Zajac tipping home the 3rd NJ goal. All in all, not a stellar night for the d-men.

NJ just doesn't have the firepower we do. Despite being badly out-played, Guentzel shot wide in the second on a glorious chance. As did Sid on a backside feed, shot wide by a few feet with that side of the net wide open. Schultz shot wide on a few good chances. And Hagelin hit the post right in front in the 3rd.. Couple of those get buried and we maybe steal this one, a la Nashville in the Finals.

Lastly, totally agree on the constant line flipping. No chance to get any flow going. Plus, I hate Geno & Phil together 5 on 5. All they do is look for each other. The third forward may as well not even be out there.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins