Nice artlcle on Sheahan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Nice artlcle on Sheahan

Postby Daniel on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 pm

I know there are detractors and those that like Sheahan, I fall in the latter category, but I think we can all agree that he's been more than we could have hoped for when he came to the team.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/132 ... -direction
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Nice artlcle on Sheahan

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 am

He has already surpassed his offensive output from last year. Also on the plus side, he has not taken a penalty so far.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 am

Jonathan Bombulie @TribLive.com wrote:Ultimately, there is a compromise position to consider as well. The Penguins could decide Sheahan is a third and fourth-line tweener, then try to acquire another player who fills a similar spot on the depth chart, perhaps someone line Montreal's Tomas Plekanec.

This to me looks like the ideal option to shoot for.

Going for a major 3C upgrade doesn't look very realistic.

Sheahan's relatively cheap and he fills Bonino's boots from last season 1:1 for me. He's only 26 and we'll have his RFA rights at the end of the season. Yeah, he's not as attractive in his offensive stuff as Duchene, but that's a 1C.

Been saying for a while, that we only need to pick up a second guy like Sheahan to have four working lines.

And maybe permanently have ONE guy with reasonable skill on the fourth line besides that extra C. Kühnhackl / 4C / Reaves is not helping much. Kühnhackl - Sheahan/Plekanec - Rust is a very serious 4th line. (Kühnhackl > Reaves because PK)
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 am

Plekanec on the 4th line?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am

Jim wrote:Plekanec on the 4th line?

It's not that unreasonable. Plekaneç is a pending UFA. If MTL retains salary or alternatively a Pens contract we're not happy about --- either of those plus a pick or prospect.. (or some middle road in the previous)

They're 7 points out of the 2nd eastern wild card. No way are they going to truck over all the Metro teams in their way (and stay past their Atlantic rivals). They should be sellers. They're set to have a bunch of extra draft picks.

That way, the deal can be worked and you don't have an actual 6M assigned to your bottom line. If Sheahan ends up clicking better with Kessel than Plekaneç, why not? You could definitely roll all four that way. (Grinds his Reaves axe in the background)

EDIT:
Pageau on a 4th line, that's the real long shot here. That ain't happening unless we sacrifice some first-borns
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jonathan Bombulie @TribLive.com wrote:Ultimately, there is a compromise position to consider as well. The Penguins could decide Sheahan is a third and fourth-line tweener, then try to acquire another player who fills a similar spot on the depth chart, perhaps someone line Montreal's Tomas Plekanec.

This to me looks like the ideal option to shoot for.

Going for a major 3C upgrade doesn't look very realistic.

Sheahan's relatively cheap and he fills Bonino's boots from last season 1:1 for me. He's only 26 and we'll have his RFA rights at the end of the season. Yeah, he's not as attractive in his offensive stuff as Duchene, but that's a 1C.

Been saying for a while, that we only need to pick up a second guy like Sheahan to have four working lines.

And maybe permanently have ONE guy with reasonable skill on the fourth line besides that extra C. Kühnhackl / 4C / Reaves is not helping much. Kühnhackl - Sheahan/Plekanec - Rust is a very serious 4th line. (Kühnhackl > Reaves because PK)

I think I see two options at this point.

1. Get a decent 3C, on the level of a Pageau, and put Sheahan on a 4th line with Kuhnhackl/ZAR and Rust/Reaves.
2. Get a two position player.....a guy that can play wing and center......Janmark, Strome, Reinhart, etc type. That way you can go with Sheahan at 3C and something else as 4C, but have the option to push Sheahan down to 4C and move the other guy to 3C if things aren't working out.

One way or another, Rutherford is going to make some moves. And I'm hoping its a solid deal that everyone likes, and usually, the moves that are made are the ones nobody ever discusses or sees coming. Sheahan might be the only recent exception that was well publicized as coming and in a holding pattern, and actually came true. So, all these names we keep throwing out.....very possible none of them are the guy(s) and GMJR gets a guy nobody thought was available.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Right now I think Plekanec is our most realistic option. If you can find a out which position he can play 3c with Kessel or 4th line with our big guys. gives you some flexability.

Moving Cole doesn't see like a smart move, we need the depth and he knows the system. If you move him you won't find anyone much better.

Sheehan and Plekanec seem like a 3a and 3b centers, granted both on the low end of the 3c spectrum, but not a bad pair to have. Of course this is me thinking Cullen won't be available.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins