Feb. 6th in the 'Burgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Feb. 6th in the 'Burgh

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 pm

The wife and I are driving into town tomorrow afternoon and are staying at the Double Tree. The initial plan was to check out Ten Penny prior to the game for a late lunch/early, but now my wife has a hankering for wings/bar food. I'm looking for suggestions on where to go that is within reasonable walking distance. And go...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Feb. 6th in the 'Burgh

Postby BurghThing on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Pizza Milano has decent wings, literally right across the street from the arena.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

For your hotel location and walking... either the Souper Bowl, or Milano's as mentioned above. Souper Bowl is basically a bar with a reseaurant portion. Milano's is basically a pizza place with a bar. Souper Bowl might be a little more Pittsburgh, while Milano's is a little more anyplace pizza/hoagie type.

http://www.souperbowlpgh.com/
http://pizzamilano.net/
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 pm

I actually really liked the bar in the ground level of the Marriott across the street from the Epiphany church, called Crafted North. Bunch of good bar food, but a bit fancier. Burgers, wings (General Tso...yum!), fries, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/p/pitdt/0-modules/restaurants/113173_craftedNorth/ecp_pdfs/Crafted_North_Menu.pdf
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:The wife and I are driving into town tomorrow afternoon and are staying at the Double Tree. The initial plan was to check out Ten Penny prior to the game for a late lunch/early, but now my wife has a hankering for wings/bar food. I'm looking for suggestions on where to go that is within reasonable walking distance. And go...

I'm a Souperbowl regular pregame, with the Italian Hoagie or Chicken Rancher my good luck meals. But I wouldn't recommend going their for wings. Their sauce seems to be straight red hot. I like hot wings, but prefer a more sophisticated flavor. I haven't been terribly impressed with Milano's or Cafe 5th Avenue's wings, either, but both are better than the Souper Bowl's, IMO.

If you don't have to worry about parking because you can park at the hotel, and really want wings, I would recommend drving to the South Side. Fat Heads or Big Shot Bob's maybe?
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:I actually really liked the bar in the ground level of the Marriott across the street from the Epiphany church, called Crafted North. Bunch of good bar food, but a bit fancier. Burgers, wings (General Tso...yum!), fries, etc.

http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/p/pitdt/0-modules/restaurants/113173_craftedNorth/ecp_pdfs/Crafted_North_Menu.pdf

I would agree. Small space but probably the best immediate option.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Great58 wrote:If you don't have to worry about parking because you can park at the hotel, and really want wings, I would recommend drving to the South Side. Fat Heads or Big Shot Bob's maybe?

Oh shoot! I didn't know Big Shot Bob's had a South Side location. Dang...hands down if you are searching just for wings, that's the place to go. Only downside is if it's anything like the Coraopolis location, there's not much room and wings really are the only reason to go there. No adult beverages (that I'm aware of) & soda by the can.

Otherwise, if you want more than wings I stand by my earlier suggestion.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm

I will heartily endorse Big Shot Bob's as well if you want to head to the South Side.

Frank Sinatra, the Talk of Beaver Falls and Big Sexy are my favorites.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blurryhaze312 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 pm

BurghThing wrote:I will heartily endorse Big Shot Bob's as well if you want to head to the South Side.

Frank Sinatra, the Talk of Beaver Falls and Big Sexy are my favorites.

Napolean Complex. My goodness. It's the best of wet sauce and dry seasoning mixed together. Wowie... :pop: :pop: :pop:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Forget wings. Go to Gaucho Parilla and get the meat platter.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Where did you end up hitting?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Jim wrote:Where did you end up hitting?

We hit 10 penny for lunch but after the game got big shot bob's (delivery). Both places were really good.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins