Game 55 vs Knights - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 55 vs Knights - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 am

Pens win 5-4

- What a special night for MAF. So refreshing to see the GAME being fun out there... the love and respect runs deep.
- Early on, Errey made the stupid comment... "Pens canNOT get down 2-0 to this team, nearly impossible to beat"... sorry Bobby, but you forgot who these Pens are now!
- MAF was rubbing posts all night (I miss that) and reminded everyone what we are missing.. but even elites can be beat, sorry M-A
- Simon played like a stinking pile of poo... I'd say on pretty much any night he deserved to be benched, but when your down two guys? Sully, your a hard hard Coach.
- Well, for those of you who wanted to see Sprong, I'd say he's already on route to the 'Burgh, JSD is likely riding shotgun.
- Sid needs to get the mojo/juju consultant in... he's just not getting any breaks... game is still there, but he needs something special to get to 400!
- Reaves had a good game, starting with the big hit! With injuries, will he slidie up to line 3 to provide more physicality?
- The Guentzelinger finally fired one in last night... I think that's going to spark him, he's been slumping and Sully has stuck with him (kinda surprising really)
- Knight's Tuch impressed me last night, big guy who can skate and saw the ice very well.... Perron was also good, where was that Perron when he was with the Pens
- If Rowney's injury is longer term, this will force GMJR's hand to get a forward... Never like to see GMJR forced, with time, GMJR seems to be able to find the pearls
- Hagelin had a strong game. His effort and hustle on the PK and when the Pens get in trouble... he's golden.. the kind of guy that is so versatile.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 55 vs Knights - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 am

- If Rowney's injury is longer term, this will force GMJR's hand to get a forward... Never like to see GMJR forced, with time, GMJR seems to be able to find the pearls

I think it's the same plan as yesterday, strengthen the fourth line so Rowney can be either a wing or 13th forward.
This will just give us another look at Sprong for awhile until a trade is finalized or Rowney returns. TK also left with injury I understand.
Crosby with 25:22 of ice time last night. :shock:
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:27 am

I miss Fleury and well done by the fans, class acts all around
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 am

Even when Hornqvist comes back I hope they leave Guentzel-Crosby-Rust and Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel together. They seemed to really feed off of each other with one line tiring out the defense only to be met with another wave of sustained zone time.
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 pm

* Tanger fighting it right now. Not sure if it is his confidence or he has neen asked to stay away from situations that jeopardize his health.
* Geno and Phil need to be in the mvp conversation. If Phil continues this pace, he could win the scoring title without being an all-star. That would be epic!
* Quietly, Dumo and Maatta have been pretty good. Not great but steady.
* Hagelin is a role player that uses speed and tenacity to offset his mediocre hands. It was nice to hear Sully commend him and that should help his confidence.
* MAF tribute was classy in every way.
* Vegas is decent. They are deficient though in many ways. The Pens out hit them by a landslide.
* Slashing penalties continue to called in some cases and ignored in others.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Skatingpen wrote:I miss Fleury and well done by the fans, class acts all around

I'm ticked they dropped the puck. I wanted to see how long the standing O would've lasted. Strange, it was dusty in the broadcast booth according to the announcer. It was also dusty in my living room. :shrug:
Fleury, Fleury, Fleury.....
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcmforless on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

Yeah, I wanted to see how long the Chants went on. In Vegas back in December they went on almost forever and were THUNDERING! It was during intros so they let it go on for a good long while. I'm glad the Pens beat them as they need the points, but it is tough to root against Fleury.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

How about that BIG MAF smile after the big save on GENO! Priceless
Last edited by pcmforless on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Welcome home, Marc-André, good to see you.

- Reaves looked 100% to be going for a rebound pass. He looked to his right, then shot it on goal. Went in under the arm. Quite sure his first thought was not about scoring himself. That said, the guy's been unlucky a few times and deserved one.
- Pens surge at the bottom of the 2nd was great. Hags denied at first after getting one from Sheahan. 30s later, Crosby opens up space for Cole with all the time in the world...
- Just after that Cole goal, Fleury with the all-star poke on Geno. Again, the ice tilted, Guentzel shoots one in (does Rust jump OVER that?)
- 4-2 was a beauty, Fleury has to respect Geno and Kessel, Geno snipes it.
- That fifth goal was just sick. Hagelin (speedy forecheck) to Malkin, to Kessel on the backdoor. That's what happens if you move.
- PP 0/5. ESG 5. Well, if you don't get the one, gettin the other works great.
- Neal was looking for the puck and just tapped it towards the crease. That's a Hörnqvist play.
- Murray with a big save 2-0 behind on Karlsson.
- Dumo not good at the 5-3, Tang not good on the 5-4.
- Just gotta be Fleury's love for the iron that keeps Rust from getting an ENG. Doesn't Sully know you gotta play Hagelin in that position in ENG situations?

- Vegas is one dangerous team. They got too much out of that expansion draft if you ask me. They may make the playoffs as the best team out West, have a shot at running deep and still have a million draft picks lined up.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm

pronovost19 wrote:* Geno and Phil need to be in the mvp conversation. If Phil continues this pace, he could win the scoring title without being an all-star. That would be epic!

I am rooting for Phil to win the Ross, Geno to win the Richard.
I am sure they will find some way to screw a Penguin out of winning the Hart. Having 3 teammates in the top 5 or so in scoring will be the argument.
MacKinnon would be my wish for MVP if not a Pen, although the Avs have been falling away from the playoffs recently.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:- Vegas is one dangerous team. They got too much out of that expansion draft if you ask me. They may make the playoffs as the best team out West, have a shot at running deep and still have a million draft picks lined up.

Pittsburgh - Vegas Stanley Cup Final. Flower vs his old team for all the marbles.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:47 pm

I give the pens a free pass for this game.
What a comeback against the vaunted Knights~the pens can build on this victory.
We all did what was needed at the game to move on.
Sure am glad that thought of trading Evgeni to FLA was just words of nothing.
Never think it again.
Hard for Sid, but he needs to let go. Have a zen moment and get this next goal and the next goal and the next one.

Flower; you're always at home in Pittsburgh!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows.

Postby wondermoose on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Do we see Dea or Blueger to replace Rowney? I'm assuming he'll be out for several weeks because, let's face it, that's what happens to Carter Rowney.

Not a fan to see the Pens go all 2016 on Vegas only to let up off the gas and let them back in the game. Sully has got to find a way to keep this team from lapsing. Might help to bench Letang after getting late leads.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Faubert5 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm

wondermoose wrote:Do we see Dea or Blueger to replace Rowney? I'm assuming he'll be out for several weeks because, let's face it, that's what happens to Carter Rowney.

Not a fan to see the Pens go all 2016 on Vegas only to let up off the gas and let them back in the game. Sully has got to find a way to keep this team from lapsing. Might help to bench Letang after getting late leads.

Or early leads. Or when trailing by one or more goals. Or if it's tied.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby DelPen on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Guessing we see Dea and Sprong back up. Simon was trying to do too much and is better off when he’s the guy who goes for pucks. Rust beat him in everuforwchk though so he had to get creative. When he was opposite Sheary or Sprong he didn’t have to think.

Assuming he see this in Dallas:

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Hags-Geno-Rust
Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel
ZAR-Dea-Reaves
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcmforless on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:15 pm

wondermoose wrote:Do we see Dea or Blueger to replace Rowney? I'm assuming he'll be out for several weeks because, let's face it, that's what happens to Carter Rowney.

I didn't like seeing that either, but it was good seeing the explosive bursts of scoring like 2016.... If I remember right the 2016 season ended well ;) even though some of it took years off of our lives as fans.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:- Reaves looked 100% to be going for a rebound pass. He looked to his right, then shot it on goal. Went in under the arm. Quite sure his first thought was not about scoring himself. That said, the guy's been unlucky a few times and deserved one.

Had Crosby or Malkin shot that everyone would be over the moon on how they look off making Fleury think he was passing and then scoring a bullseye no look shot goal.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:- Reaves looked 100% to be going for a rebound pass. He looked to his right, then shot it on goal. Went in under the arm. Quite sure his first thought was not about scoring himself. That said, the guy's been unlucky a few times and deserved one.

Had Crosby or Malkin shot that everyone would be over the moon on how they look off making Fleury think he was passing and then scoring a bullseye no look shot goal.

Reaves said it was his changeup that fooled Fleury, he was expecting a much harder shot. :D
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Great58 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:* Geno and Phil need to be in the mvp conversation. If Phil continues this pace, he could win the scoring title without being an all-star. That would be epic!

I am rooting for Phil to win the Ross, Geno to win the Richard.
I am sure they will find some way to screw a Penguin out of winning the Hart. Having 3 teammates in the top 5 or so in scoring will be the argument.
MacKinnon would be my wish for MVP if not a Pen, although the Avs have been falling away from the playoffs recently.

I don't expect a Penguin to get the Hart. But it would be possible to get Phil the Ross, Geno the Richard, and Sid the Lindsay. That would be something.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Antonio on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 pm

I have taken to calling 1g 1a the Phil Kessel hat trick since he seems to get that every night.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm

ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Antonio wrote:I have taken to calling 1g 1a the Phil Kessel hat trick since he seems to get that every night.

The hat trick is completed with the hotdog.

1G 1A 1H
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Antonio wrote:I have taken to calling 1g 1a the Phil Kessel hat trick since he seems to get that every night.

The hat trick is completed with the hotdog.

1G 1A 1H

And spealing of Kessel: He basically got the "third assist" on his own goal. Havn't seen one this good from the Pens in quite a while. :thumb:

https://www.nhl.com/video/kessels-impre ... c-57425303

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

ville5 wrote:https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1481406-penguins-roast-golden-knights-on-twitter-following-on-ice-victory

That is very funny.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 pm

- it was ugly early. Dzone coverage looked confused. Bounces seemed to be going all Vegas' way with the 4-5 posts for the Pens, the perfect deflection right to Neal for goal 2 while Murray was moving the other way, and Rowney being taken out to create a 5 on 3 for goal 1.
- love the Flower. Deserved the tribute and more. Pure class. Not happy to see him get help from the pipes against us though.
- thrilled to see Reaves get more time with Sheahan. It obviously helped. Sucks it came at the expense of injuries. I think Reaves might have the upcoming game against St Louis in the back of his mind to ensure he gets to play. Much better game.
- Hags still creating chances every game.
- Simon has regressed big time. Bad game. I do agree with the comment he seems to be more comfortable being the F1 in the zone seeking the puck. Rust on line 1 truly might be screwing him up, and he hopefully just needs some time to adjust.
- I will be at the game this Friday! Dallas is healthier now and have been playing really well. They have some young D really stepping up this season. Them and Nashville would be an incredible first round matchup. Dallas almost ran NYR out of the building the other night even though score was 2-1. It wasnt that close. Hope our speed game is ready, cause Dallas will roll 4 lines. Spezza and Hanzal playing much better.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins