May Vegas become a destination for UFAs?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

May Vegas become a destination for UFAs?

Postby pcmforless on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Just wondering a bit as I'm sure Fleury and Nealer spoke to teammates about how they like it out in Vegas. Fleury seems to love it in Vegas (of course I think he could be happy almost anywhere) and it makes you ponder if Vegas continues to do well, spend to the cap and have crazed fans if they will become a destination sooner than latter for Free agents? Did MAF persuade any teammates to consider a move to VEGAS? Current weather in Vegas is in the 70's, I've heard it is MISERABLE in Pittsburgh right now as it typically is November thru March. It is hot as hades in the summer, but I'm sure most players head to their hometowns thru the summer to enjoy family and weather there. There is constant entertainment in Vegas, great places to eat, beautiful homes, NO STATE INCOME TAX, NO LOCAL TAX, hmmmm..... If I lived in the Pittsburgh area a move to Nevada sure would would inviting....Oh wait ;)

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of wonderful things I miss about Pittsburgh and the history and culture, but I sure don't miss the weather, traffic, crappy roads, being taxed to death, etc...
The PENS have TOP SHELF ownership and I think that is one reason it is definitely a destination, along with a new areana, but I do wonder at least a bit...
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: May Vegas become a destination for UFAs?

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 pm

All their guys had nice tans, too.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:All their guys had nice tans, too.

:) Yeah, since I moved to Reno from Western PA I've gone from pale white to a nice perma tan :)
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 pm

pcmforless wrote:Just wondering a bit as I'm sure Fleury and Nealer spoke to teammates about how they like it out in Vegas. Fleury seems to love it in Vegas (of course I think he could be happy almost anywhere) and it makes you ponder if Vegas continues to do well, spend to the cap and have crazed fans if they will become a destination sooner than latter for Free agents? Did MAF persuade any teammates to consider a move to VEGAS? Current weather in Vegas is in the 70's, I've heard it is MISERABLE in Pittsburgh right now as it typically is November thru March. It is hot as hades in the summer, but I'm sure most players head to their hometowns thru the summer to enjoy family and weather there. There is constant entertainment in Vegas, great places to eat, beautiful homes, NO STATE INCOME TAX, NO LOCAL TAX, hmmmm..... If I lived in the Pittsburgh area a move to Nevada sure would would inviting....Oh wait ;)

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of wonderful things I miss about Pittsburgh and the history and culture, but I sure don't miss the weather, traffic, crappy roads, being taxed to death, etc...
The PENS have TOP SHELF ownership and I think that is one reason it is definitely a destination, along with a new areana, but I do wonder at least a bit...

Nashville is in a similar situation. We do have high sales tax but there is not state income tax. We do get four seasons but winter isn't as bitter and it isn't as long as it is up North. I can understand the attraction but it's not always those factors and there are only so many openings by position and so much cap space. Still, all things being equal who wouldn't want less taxes, more fun, better weather, and a still have a good to great chance to win?
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Great58 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:41 pm

As long as they are winning, and spending money, they will attract UFAs.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Brad McEachern on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:06 pm

pcmforless wrote:Just wondering a bit as I'm sure Fleury and Nealer spoke to teammates about how they like it out in Vegas. Fleury seems to love it in Vegas (of course I think he could be happy almost anywhere) and it makes you ponder if Vegas continues to do well, spend to the cap and have crazed fans if they will become a destination sooner than latter for Free agents? Did MAF persuade any teammates to consider a move to VEGAS? Current weather in Vegas is in the 70's, I've heard it is MISERABLE in Pittsburgh right now as it typically is November thru March. It is hot as hades in the summer, but I'm sure most players head to their hometowns thru the summer to enjoy family and weather there. There is constant entertainment in Vegas, great places to eat, beautiful homes, NO STATE INCOME TAX, NO LOCAL TAX, hmmmm..... If I lived in the Pittsburgh area a move to Nevada sure would would inviting....Oh wait ;)

It’s also a great city and that’s why players want to come here as well. You just made Pittsburgh out to some Siberian hellhole like Winnipeg when that’s the furthest from the truth.

To answer your question sure Vegas can be a destination for FA....if there winning. Otherwise there just another warm weather market like Arizona or Carolina who offer nothing much but destination and a roster spot. Fact is there’s so few destinations like Vegas and more markets in the NHL like Pittsburgh where’s there proper winter weather and crap roads so players have to make the decisions on what’s best for themselves and there families and that’s not always involving making a decsion on what team to sign for that will give me the best chance of developing a super tan or going to the best shows.
Brad McEachern

Postby pcmforless on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Agreed, I think if they keep winning, continue spending on the team, have good ownership they really could become a destination, but if they flash in the pan and then die off they will become another warm weather market that really isn't a destination and becomes a perennial bottom feeder.
Pittsburgh isn't a siberian hellhole, I may have come off harsh, and it is a good city, but it isn't as wonderful as one would like to dream it is. It is more a function of the state it is in rather than the city itself as the city can only do so much on it's own to hold off high taxes, fix crappy roads on it's own dime, etc... without help from the state, and the state is in big trouble :(
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Pittsburgh is supposed to sound like a terrible climate to live in if you enjoy living in the desert, and vice versa.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins